1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump makes an offer on Islamic center site

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by trueroxfan, Sep 10, 2010.

1. rockergordon

rockergordon Member

What's great about this country is that a minority religion can build centers where ever they want, and at the same time, someone can protest that religion by burning a book.

I wish this would be seen around the world as an illustration of our broad freedom of religion and right to protest.

I think its important to note that no one is breaking any laws.

It would be hypocritical to criticize the bush administration when it said dissent against the government emboldens the enemy, and not now when the powers condemn a loony pastor in Florida.

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

That is exactly what i said. :rolleyes: moron.

3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Yes, you're right. They would have much rather put it up w/out the media attention, but at this point, they are certainly taking advantage of it.

4. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

stupid a$$hole!

5. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/03/nyregion/03poll.html?pagewanted=all

and there are many other obscure surveys that say the same, i'm not posting them because i am not going to check their credibility that would take too much effort. i've seen many surveys that say that the majority support the right to build the mosque, but the majority believe it should be moved further away

6. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

wow. i just read a post in the "How much blame does the media bear for the koran burner?" where you said...

so are you calling yourself an idiot or do you always go around talking out of both sides of your mouth?

and who is the idiot - the person who doesnt see anything wrong w/ an islamic center or mosque or whatever it is 2 blocks from gound zero or the person who is willing to bet $50 that tracy mcgrady will average 15 ppg next season?

how much further away? there is already a mosque 4 blocks from ground zero. is your cut-off 3 blocks or do you think they should move that one too?

7. jo mama

if i may draw a parallel - tejanos fought and died in the alamo. they fought at san jacinto. its safe to say that w/out the help of tejanos the revolution would have failed. there were tejanos among the heroes of the revolution like juan seguin. and after the war they were all driven out of texas.

now we have american muslims who died on 9/11. american muslims in the american military are still dying fighting the "war on terror". and anti-muslim sentiment as at its strongest point ever.

id draw another parallel to nazi germany and the sewing of the seeds of hatred towards the jews after hitler came to power - the marginalizing in society and making them 2nd class citizens. not saying there is going to be a holocaust of muslims in this country, but we really are heading down a dark path. im quite disturbed by alot of these comments (mainly coming from one poster).

8. jo mama

from tschmals link in post #48...
    ive always heard that it is disrespectful to the victims families to question the official story, but here we have a victims family member questioning the official story. why does she disrespect herself so? :rolleyes:

seriously though, she is right. people in this country have really f***ed up priorities - it would have been nice to see people put 1/100th the effort into making sure all the rescue workers got proper health care and medical treatment.

9. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

I stick to my statement that if you don't see why this is a problem you're an idiot. You may not agree with it, but how can you not see why people are upset with it? Just because I don't want a mosque there doesn't mean I have something against Islam, I just think it is distasteful for them to put a Mosque next to Ground Zero. How am I talking out of both sides of my mouth?

As for Tracy Mcgrady, I am still a fan of his and I want him to do well. It's a donation to the site, so stop being a prick.

10. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

I would also like to draw a parallel to your comments.
    Many people have died for our freedom to speak our mind and do so without fear of being persecuted for it. People of all types have built this country to become one of the greatest nations the world has ever seen. And when you don't capitalize words in the beginning of the sentence your letting the terrorists win.

That being said I see you did not parallel my last example of keeping Eskimos out of Wyoming. I see it's still fresh in your heart and feel the same way I do. And if you are of Eskimo decent then I apologize. I don't hate all Eskimos, just their belief systems. I don't believe all Eskimos are bad either, but when their belief system leads to violence, I think all Eskimos should come out against their people actions. Even if it is just a small fraction of the Eskimo population. I'm sure that is a reasonable request.
    Ya seal eatin b*stard.

11. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

he's a businessman. he doesnt care either way. it's a chance for him to land some really good real estate.

12. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

or just put his name out in the press, it has been a while since i've heard about him

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Or it could be a combination of things. Hmm, let me think..

1) Become a bit of a hero, improving my standing as a NY businessman.

AND

2) Sell it off soon at another 25% hike, and make a nice chunk of change off the "9/11 sentiment" by manipulating the anti-Muslim sentiment. How nice of him.

We don't know him very well at all, but I think it's pretty safe to say that Donald Trump would sell his mother if the price was right. To think that his primary concern is the victims and their families is highly illogical. Whereas the Islamic Center is actually being built, among other reasons, FOR the residents of that area to learn about Islam and to remove the frustration towards Islam with knowledge transfer. What a hero Donald Trump is.

14. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

never said he was a hero, i just said i thought it was a good idea, i am not really concerned with what his motivation behind it is, unless it is of course to just turn around and sell it to them at a higher price

15. jo mama

i hate eskimos.

16. jo mama

imo, the people who have a problem w/ it are the idiots, or at the least, very easily manipulated by the media.

by claiming you support their right to build it, but arguing that they should not and that you are an idiot if you think its ok that they do.

you are the prick.

how about posting a link to just one of these "obscure surveys"?

(the new york times is "obscure"?)

17. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

The families of those who lost their lives in 9-11 should have the biggest say. Not sure if they have been asked as a group or maybe a small sample size or not but they should be before any decision is made.

The silly thing is that these Muslims could pick pretty much ANYWHERE else in the city, state or country to build a new mosque....yet, they dont see the issue with building one so close to where thousands of innocent people lost their lives at the hands of Muslim extremists. Go a couple miles away and no one would say a word. Seems to me that the Muslims are the ones who are being the media whores.

Im obviously against it based on what i perceive as obvious reasons.....but if the families of the people who lost their lives are ok with it, then I wouldnt argue

18. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

lol whatever dude, bets off im not going to continue this **** anymore. if you want to be an ******* because i don't believe the same thing you do than so be it, i made a general statement, you came back and attacked me. suck a fat one

19. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

same, but apparently if you believe in the rights and laws of the country,

20. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

not sure why that sent, anyways, apparently i can't believe they have the right to do something and not believe it is appropriate to do it. all i said was i believe it is insensitive, but if they do it there what the hell do i care, i don't live in ny and i wont see it everyday so their opinion matters more, but that doesnt mean i cant have an opinion