1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump makes an offer on Islamic center site

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by trueroxfan, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

I think we should ban all Japanese from visiting Pearl Harbor. :rolleyes:

2. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

I think yall are getting the impression that I don't want mosques built and that I am against Islam. I am not even very religious, in fact religion infuriates me, Christianity and Islam especially. The goals of religion are so pure, but they were constantly manipulated by those who were at the top, the Caliphs and Popes included.

3. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

OK, so you do think Islam played a factor in 9/11 and have trouble separating extremists from the mainstream. Gotcha! It's a popular stance, just not one I share.

4. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Hold on a sec I am having an epiphany

5. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

And that's where your argument fails. There is no "HOWEVER" with that sentence. Either it has something to do with extremists or doesn't. And you said it doesn't.

/thread

6. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

That's what I'm saying. I protested to ban Mexicans from The Alamo in San Antonio but I really didn't anywhere with my megaphone. Maybe it was due to Ripley's Believe It or Not being more of a draw to people across the street, or it could have been the fact that I myself am Mexican.......nevertheless, keep Mexicans out of the Alamo, Muslims away from ground zero, and Eskimos out of the entire state of Wyoming.......they know what they did. Never Forget!

7. Depressio

Yeah, Wyoming has never been the same. How often do you here it mentioned ever since "the incident"?

8. rockergordon

rockergordon Member

Sorry, I'm a homer on this. Ground Zero is an abstract concept. What do people really see when they go there? A fence. People should be able to do whatever they want with the buildings around it.

I remember going to the pussycat lounge a year after 9/11. That was really strange. But hey, It's New York City! People had to do their thing regardless of the tragedy.

The proximity argument is pointless. 2 blocks is around 200 feet. 5 blocks is 1000 feet. what about the mosque on 2nd ave? probably about 5000 feet.

This is election year bull crap.

1 person likes this.
  9. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

First of all, I have no problem separating the extremists from the mainstream. The extremists manipulate suraat (i assume suraat is the plural of sura), and they seek guidance from a man most Muslims think unfit to give such Fatahs (i think that is what it is called). Now my epiphany is that because the reality is the extremists dont represent Islam, they manipulate it, so maybe it is good to have it close to the ground zero so that people can be reminded of this.

Mind changed. But I can still see how NYers and the families feel, those protesting from other cities and trying to stop the building of mosques in other towns, that's just crazy. In most cases of religion there is only white and black, you can't stop them from worshiping as long as it is not directly hurting someone, but I don't know how people can have a clear cut stance on this particular project

1 person likes this.
  10. Depressio

This is truly a momentous occasion for the Internet. This is the first time I've ever seen someone's opinion changed while debating on the Internet. Sir, I thank you for having an open mind!

(and no, I am not being sarcastic)

11. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Yes but as I said I was referring to the building of the Center, the reason behind the center has nothing to do with the extremists, I am defending the Center here man, I am saying that they shouldn't be connected to the extremists and they should represent the sentiment of all Muslims, HOWEVER HOWEVER HOWEVER, the fact of the matter is it was in the name of Islam that those hijackers dedicated their acts, and for you to put an islamic center RIGHT NEXT to it, is insensitive...nonetheless they have every right to put it there so

/thread and build the center

12. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

You should read previous post before acting like a dbag...I was fully aware that the mosque pre-dated the WTC. I'm staunchly in favor of allowing the new mosque to be built at the current location. The poster I was replying to suggested it be moved 10+ blocks away and my argument is that it's unnecessary because there's precedent.

13. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

If I practice Islam, am I saluting the hijackers?

14. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

haha, I mean i toss back and forth over these issues, I am a government and middle eastern studies major, I study arabic, and essentially 9/11 is the reason i chose to study all of the above, i wanted to become involved, but as i wrap college up i just realize how much i despise our system, politics are legally corrupt, the govt tries to do too much, we depend on the govt too much, we have a huge income disparity, and we just keep further perpetuating the situation by cycling criminals from these low income areas through the system. If only i could be a dictator for just a few years (reading that makes me laugh) i would simply force companies to build up the low income areas and find work for people, id fix the prison system, make the police POLICE, and i'd end the border crisis by annexing mexico, then i'd allow the politicians to f up everything i worked for...im just rambling now

15. Steve_Francis_rules

Really? Because if I was rich as hell and I could buy million dollar property on a whim, I would buy every property within two blocks of ground zero that I could get my hands on and make sure that a prayer room for Muslims was put in every one of them.

16. Major

Major Member

What is rational about complaining about something 2 blocks away as opposed to 5 blocks away? What about 3 or 4? Would those be OK to a rational person?

What about all the families that have come out in support of the mosque? How would they feel if the thing had to be moved to make a bunch of crazy idiots happy?

17. Steve_Francis_rules

You're absolutely right. This is the same reason I don't feel a church should be allowed to stand anywhere in the United States that is within one mile (my own arbitrary distance) of anyplace that Native Americans were killed by early Christian settlers. It just feels like a salute to genocide. :rolleyes:

Of course, that's a different situation. There aren't really any surviving family members left to be offended because those Christians were much more effective terrorists than the present day variety.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

So my assumption that you intend to join the military after graduation in order to make use of what 9/11 inspired you to learn would be correct?

19. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

The majority are non-Muslims so their wishes deserve greater attention. Its a matter of respecting someone's sensativity towards the issue. Also why go against the wishes of the majority of New Yorkers (don't know about polls across the country, but I assume they would also be similar)? If they deem 5 blocks to be more secure than 2, then why fight it? You'll be seen as more accomadating people in return (not sure about this though, could backfire)

20. Major

Major Member

Where is the list of 9/11 victims and families that show they are opposed to the project?

Why go against the wished of Manhattanites who support the project? The further away you get, the more the opposition. The people actually near the area support it.

Who is this "they" that deem 5 blocks as OK? The original poster and Donald Trump?