1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump makes an offer on Islamic center site

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by trueroxfan, Sep 10, 2010.

1. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

excellent post

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Reasons why the community center is a good idea:

1. It is a slap in the face to Al Qaeda who hate this brand of moderate Islam. It's why Al Qaeda has killed more Muslims than any other group. It's a direct insult to those that are responsible for 9/11.

2. It shows how strong America is and that it's tolerance and freedom of religion can't be swayed terrorist attacks. The terrorists can't stop us.

3. It is designed to help build understanding and make connections. That would be a great thing to have happen so near the attacks that spawned from hate and total lack of understanding.

I personally like doing things that fly against the beliefs of the Islamic extremists that attacked us on 9/11. I love the idea of the community center being there, and wouldn't mind at all if it was actually at ground zero.

There is nothing offensive about it at all, except to those who don't understand the Islamic extremists. It's funny that some people have called it a victory mosque that are in opposition to it. But it's actually a victory over the extremists who want zero tolerance at all.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

No, it is because they are more within their reach.

Depends on the perspective. I'm pretty sure that some would see it as a sign of weakness. But I am unsure what it is.

Why then not just make it a multi-faith center with no single faith dominating the center?

4. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Not if you've paid any attention to what Al Qaeda says and their doctorine. They have plenty of enemies, but Muslims that don't jibe with their view on it are top of the list.
    weakness? To shove that which the terrorists hate right back at them near the scene of what they thought was a great victory for them. Was it weakness on MLK's part to work with white community organizers instead of just African American groups?

Why then not just make it a multi-faith center with no single faith dominating the center?[/QUOTE]Why not make it a multi-faith center with Islam being the dominating group organizing it? Islam is not the enemy. Extremists are the enemy. The other way you mentioned could be fine to, though it isn't as big of a slap at the extremists who attacked us on 9/11

5. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

i agree with all of the above, and i believe i said some of the same things in an earlier post either in this thread or another related thread.

i especially agree with your first point, which is why i had a hard time forming an opinion on this issue.

now that it has been announced that they will put it there it shows how strong america is, but if they wouldnt have put it there no one would be saying america is against islam because they didnt put it close to ground zero...all of my complaints are mute in actuality because i dont want it changed, i dont want them to fold to the pressure, i just wish they would have thought of the opinions and the sentiment of the americans who are still recovering from that day

and yes we are still recovering, if you can watch the videos and coverage from that day without having flashbacks of the awful awful feeling we all had when those towers came down, than you're cured, but i and many others are not.

that doesnt mean i believe the 19 hijackers represent mainstream islam

6. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I've enjoyed reading your take on the controversy. It hasn't been irrational, and if you have any real opposition to it, it comes from a different place that seeks to improve the cause of the Community center rather than a place of intolerance.

I think the debate with you would be more about if there was a better way to accomplish the same goals, or if the way they are doing it is the best. But neither of us would disagree with those goals, and we would both disagree with those that think it would be an Al qaeda victory mosque.

At least that's my understanding.

1 person likes this.
  7. roslolian

roslolian Member

You don't get it. Its not the 5 blocks that are wrong, its the whole principle of it. If the muslims agree to move their mosque 5 blocks it means they agree that they're somehow at fault, when this is just not true. Moving the Islamic center site would be a slap in the face of every muslim whose loved ones died in 9-11. Its like saying, "Hey! Your religion is the most evil of evil and just killed 3000 Americans".

Islam by itself isn't wrong. If it is, you'd see every muslim in the world (and they are a lot of them) screaming "Jihad!!!!" and stabbing every infidel they could find. However only a very small amount of muslims interpret the Quran that way, in the same way that you'll find Christian fundamentalists who think Obama is the anti-christ.

Like I said, we don't typcast every christian lunatic who does something bad to mean all christians. In the same way, you shouldn't lump every Islam believer with the Al Queda. Moving the Islamic center site is wrong, and should not be condoned.

8. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

how come this guy isnt suspended?

i lost posting privileges for a month once when i called someone a moron.

this guy called me an *******, an idiot, a prick and told me to suck a fat one.

i thought we were not allowed to talk to other posters like that?

and despite all the name calling on his end, he says im "attacking" him.

9. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

because you are
    an idiot
    an *******
    and a prick

would you care to suck a fat one?

10. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

someone forgot to take their meds.