1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump Is Right About 9/11

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, Oct 19, 2015.

1. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trump certainly gains strength when he states obvious truths to the chagrin of the GOP establishment. And that is just pitiful. GOPers should at least want to own the truth of these matters ( which are beyond established fact at this point ) and use "getting it right" as a part of pushing the party forward. Clearly there are people in the party who need an explanation to help them make sense of Obama's electoral success, and the answer is basically found in the failures of the Bush Administration. Establishment GOP who don't admit that just handing Trump a card. ( Yeah, I just did that. )

Reflexively attacking Democrats and critics and just flat out lying so as to not get caught being wrong, is just poor political strategy. Own the **** and move on. Trump is showing that moving past the propaganda machine will work. Don't let that dunce take over your party.

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

What difference at this point does it make? Maybe 14 years ago, Bush and his cabinet misjudged the threat. Maybe they had on ideological blinders. Its irrelevant to this election.

3. Anticope

Anticope Member

So, essentially, nearly 3,000 people die on American soil in the largest terrorist attack in world history and George W. Bush gets praised for his leadership and the fact that he "kept us safe." Then, 4 Americans die in a terrorist attack thousands of miles away in a hostile country under Obama's presidency and we need 5 house committee investigations and a partisan witch hunt that drags on for years. Sounds about right.

4. Anticope

Anticope Member

The article completely contradicts a claim made by a current candidate for president during the most recent Republican debate, so it absolutely is relevant to this election.

5. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

How the hell is it irrelevant when another Bush is touting his brother's record of "keeping us safe" while having a lot of the same people advising him? It is totally relevant if you're discussing Jeb Bush...

And yes, Trump is 100% correct on this issue. There's actually smoking gun evidence proving it from August 6, 2001. If a memo like that existed for Benghazi (if it could exist), or if Democrats where in office when 9/11 happened...people would be in prison.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Weak sauce reply. I am disappoint.

The power of these iconic images, "Mission Accomplished" and Situation Room photo, will resonate throughout history in terms of the signature military operations of each Administration.

7. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I ranked at Nationals in debate running a case I wrote about foreign terrorism being the greatest threat to US security in the mid 90's. Predicted the Patriot Act too, actually(although much worse for dramatic effect, of course). The problem was fighting the misconception that domestic terrorism was a way bigger risk - because a lot of experts at the time were writing that. At least, that is what was getting more attention in publications. Foreign terrorism was nowhere near as sexy.

8. dragician

dragician Member

you can easily tell an open-minded person. :cool:

9. JuanValdez

I think its somewhere between tragic and ridiculous that Jeb would choose/be forced to run on his brother's record. He seems to be going nowhere anyway.

Anyway, I shouldn't say it's irrelevant, because I think voters should make their decisions on absolutely any criterion they want. But it is irrelevant to me because the cabinet being tragically wrong 14 years ago doesn't tell me much about today.

It feels like we're getting more and more of this hypothetical persecution as the primaries heat up. It's a form of rationalization of behavior that conveniently can never be tested. If you'll recall, Democrats did quite well in the 2006 midterms and were all up in Bush's snatch with oversight hearings until he was done in 2008. There was a showdown over whether or not Bush's aides enjoyed executive privilege. Bill Clinton's Administration suffered the same from 1996 to 1998. It's apparently what politicians do when the opposing party holds the White House.

10. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

The ridiculous Benghazi hearings, with the most hypocritical talking points I have heard in a long time, is enough to convince me that it is more than just "hypothetical persecution." The GOP has been screaming bloody murder since Obama was elected at all manners of trumped up and invalid claims. It's their MO, and I am going to do everything in my power to make them own it.

Also...if the cabinet was so wrong 14 years ago, and a lot of THOSE SAME PEOPLE ARE ADVISING A NEW BUSH, how is that irrelevant to you? For me, the most important thing we can do is to keep those people who were so wrong about so much away from the corridors of power. Generally, when someone shows themselves to be completely wrong and incompetent, I am not going to go back to that well.

11. JuanValdez

No, you're right about the attacks throughout the Obama administration. That's not hypothetical. I'm talking about the shoe-on-the-other-foot hypotheticals, like, 'if Gore was president during 9/11, they'd do' whatever. It can't be tested and it's a type of argument that only resonates with people that already agree with you.

12. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Is the leading republican candidate for president right or wrong? Deflecting to Clinton won't work for this discussion since Trump made no mention of his administration.

14. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Poor texxxie

History will not be kind to his revisions.

15. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

The resident dunce in chief of Clucthfans has spoken! All ye who are members of the minority races shall now fall to thine knees and quiver at the magnificence of his mighty Caucasoid wisdom!

16. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Your guy isn't gonna win, texxx. First-class idiots put Bush's in office and the American public won't be duped again. Dems have been in office for 16 of the last 24 years and that trend will continue.

Get the butt-hurt ready.

17. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Careful, Barack's mom is white and he was raised by "Caucasoids"...

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Good comeback.

This thread needed more 'Zoids.

[​IMG]

19. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Anyone here still believe WTC 7 wasn't a controlled demolition?

20. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Who lost their job because of 9/11?