1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump: I do respect [Putin]

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Feb 4, 2017.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

First, you are honestly accusing BOR of so-called gotcha journalism?

But beyond that, love the currently right wing Trump defense... "hard to criticize Trump with all of the criticisms from people". Really? And even if the idea of considering the validity of each criticism isn't a more reasonable approach, I am curious, did you just start watching Fox News January of this year? If not, I am sure you saw a daily, sometimes hourly reporting of everything the right wing disliked about Obama (and on occasion his family). I don't recall you offering up the same criticism of Fox News back then. Partisan much?

2. NewRoxFan

Surprisingly, republican Senate Leader McConnell found enough of his spine to say:

FranchiseBlade and Torn n Frayed like this.
  3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The world is full of bad actors. "Respect" should not be a precondition to working with them (see nuclear deal with Iran). I hope Trump doesn't really "respect" the horrible things Putin has done. But, on diplomatic grounds, he shouldn't have to publicly say "I don't respect him". Maybe he should have danced around the question with more nimbleness then he showed there.

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

[cue filthy guitar line]

He's totally committed
    To major interference
    He's a Putie through and thro-ough!

[put your hands together!]
    [​IMG]

He gives us quite a battle
    All that we can handle!
    He'll bruise some, he'll kill some too.

But oh, Don loves to watch him strut.
    Oh, Don does respect him bu-ut,
    He loves to watch him strut!

[​IMG]

Deckard likes this.
  5. adoo

adoo Member

Bill O's interview was quite revealing, that

the so-called "Make America Great" advocate is actually Putin's useful idiot​

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The U.S. has done many horrible things. But they haven't poisoned, imprisoned and killed opposing politicians and journalists... At least not lately. Russia and Putin has. Trump has no business equating the United States with Russia.

7. NewRoxFan

Wow, things are bad when even the WSJ starts questioning Trump's foreign affairs statements:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-...on-whereabouts-of-ukraine-conflict-1486313171

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Considering that he was given a bit of an assist, to put ithe mildly, or installed, in the worst case scenario, by Putin......every question about this and his lack of legitimacy is uncomfortable for him and will be for the rest of his life, as it should be.

But anyway yes, noted left wing gotcha journo Bill O'Reilly is up to his tricks!

Good catch durv

9. Exiled

Exiled Member

He said what's he was supposed to say , if Ukrainians/Syrians said something similar to show respect,Putin would had acted in different way . When Erdroghan's started to bash the NATO and complementing Putin,he turned the table on Iran/Assad

Edit:
    Sweet talk comes fruitful with Putin:
    Damascus currently under Russian military police patrol. They had threatened earlier. to target any militants ( including Iranian Hezbollah) if seen on site,on related news
    http://en.aleppo24.com/perpetrators...ng-an-electric-generator-of-an-oven-in-aleppo

#29 Exiled, Feb 5, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  10. durvasa

I don't know what O'Reilly's true intention was, and it doesn't really matter that he's a conservative who probably voted for Trump and by-and-large supports him.

I just have a problem with interviewers trying to force someone in Trump's position to comment on whether they "respect" other foreign leaders. I would say the same thing if someone asked a similar question to Obama regarding the unsavory characters he's had to make deals with.

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Except trump has defended putins actions before and his national security advisor has as well.

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

LOL, so you think that's a hardball question, with regard to Putin and Trump?

That's a ****ing slow pitch softball throw down the middle, friend-o, and not only did Trump swing and miss, he let go of the bat which caromed off the backstop then hit him in the nuts.

Acceptable ways to answer the question

"I respect his capability to be a dangerous adversary or a helpful actor on the international stage, depending on what he chooses to be " (the Obama answer)

"I have respect for the Russian people" (the neoconservative diss answer)

Or any bland dodge in between.

Instead, we get "We're not so innocent" (The Trump kompromat answer)

Embarrassing.

RocketWalta, RudyTBag and Ubiquitin like this.
  13. durvasa

LOL, I enjoy your metaphors. :)

Sure, as I wrote earlier in the thread, Trump could have done a better job dancing around the question.

14. NewRoxFan

But what if it wasn't an "dance around the question" but rather Trump's real view of the situation... and a real attempt to defend Putin?

joshuaao likes this.
  15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's clear that Trump has more respect for Putin then the foundations of democracy.

Free press? nope - Trump has no respect
    Intelligence agencies that protect America? No, Trump has no respect for them
    The court system - the last defense against tyranny. No, "so-called" judges making ridiculous decisions.

This man respect Putin because he wants to be the first DOTUS. You know what the D is for.

16. durvasa

It could be. Frankly, I don't think Trump much cares about the ugly things Putin has done and is willing to do, so long as it also serves his own interests. They are like-minded, in my view.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Trump's interview will Bill O'Reilly:

So another big week for the Trump administration. Judge Gorsuch, that roll out? went very smoothly I think.

Yes it did, yes it did.

...but the refugee deal, not so much.

I think it was very smooth. You had 109 people out of hundreds of thousands of travelers & all we did was vet those people very, very carefully.

You wouldn't do anything differently if you had to do it over again? Some of your people didn't really know what the order was.

That's not what General Kelly said. General Kelly, now Secretary Kelly, said he totally knew, he was aware of it & it was very smooth. It was 109 people.

Let's talk Iran. Are we on a collision course with that country?

I think it was the worst deal I've ever seen negotiated. It was a deal that never should've been negotiated.

You're talking about the new deal.

Absolutely. The one made by the Obama administration. It's a shame we've had a deal like that & had to sign a deal like that. There was no reason to do it. If you're gonna do it, have a good deal. We gave them $1.7 billion in cash, which is unheard of. We put the money up and have nothing to show for it.

Possible you tear it up?

We'll see what happens. I'll say this: they have total disregard for our country. They're the number one terrorist state. They're sending money & weapons all over the place. Can't do that.

Sanctions, that's how you'll start with them.

Just started.

...but moving to carrier right?

I never talk about military moves. I always criticize President Obama. "We're gonna have an announcement that they're going into Mosul or some place." They give the name, the date, the time. I don't believe in that.

So you're not real bullish on Iran at this point?

No, not bullish on Iran. They have total disrespect for our country. That deal, I would have lived with it if they said "OK, we're all together now." but it's just the opposite. It's like they're emboldened. They follow our planes, they circle our ships with their little boats. They lost respect because they can't believe anyone can be so stupid as to make a deal like that.

You talked to Putin last week. You had a busy week.

Busy week and a half.

Do you respect Putin?

I do respect him.

Do you? Why?

I respect a lot of people but that doesn't mean I'm gonna get along with them. He's a leader of his country. It's better to get along with Russia than not. If Russia helps in the fight against ISIS, which is a major fight & Islamic terrorism all over the world, major fight, that's a good thing. Will I get along with him? I have no idea.

He's a killer though. Putin's a killer.

A lot of killers. Got a lot of killers. What, you think our country is so innocent? You think our country is so innocent?

I don't know of any government leaders that are killers.

Welllllll ... take a look at what we've done too. A lot of mistakes. I've been against the war in Iraq from the beginning.

Mistakes are different than...

A lot of mistakes. OK, but a lot of people were killed. A lot of killers around, believe me.

Let's talk Mexico. There was a report you told Mexico's president that if his army couldn't handle the drug cartels, that U.S. army soldiers would.

We have to do something about the cartels. I did talk to him about it. I want to help him with it. I think he's a very good man. We have a very good relationship. He seemed very willing to get help from us because he's got a problem & it's a real problem for us. They're operating in our country & poisoning the youth of our country.

Do you consider Mexico a corrupt country? This stuff has been going on for decades.

I love the people. I like this administration. He's a good man & we get along very well but they have problems controlling aspects of their country, no question about it. Drugs & drug cartels number one.

Have you figured out what kind of tariff you'll levy on Mexico to pay for the wall?

It's very unfavorable right now. We're losing our jobs to Mexico. You look at the plants. I have to tell you we've turned it around already. You see that. Ford has been phenomenal. They cancelled the plant.

You intimidated them.

No.

They're afraid of you.

I don't know they're afraid. They want to do what's right.

Why didn't they do what's right in the past?

Wrong people spoke to them. They'll do what's right. They're bringing jobs back to Michigan & Ohio & Pennsylvania & all the places that lost jobs. That's already happening. I think you'll see tremendous job growth in this country.

Let's turn to domestic policy. California is now voting on whether they should become a sanctuary state. California & the USA are on a collision course. How do you see it?

It's ridiculous. I'm opposed to sanctuary cities. They breed crime, there's a lot of problems. If we have to, we'll defund. We give tremendous amounts of money to California. California in many ways it out of control. Obviously the voters agree otherwise they wouldn't have voted for me.

Defunding is your weapon of choice?

It's a weapon. I don't want to defund the state or a city. I don't want to defund anyone. I want to give them the money they need to properly operate as a city or state. If they'll have sanctuary cities, we may have to do that. That certainly is a weapon.

Any validity to the criticism of you that you say things that you can't back up factually & as the president, for example, if you say there are three million illegal aliens who voted & don't have the data to back it up, some would say it's irresponsible for a president to say that.

Many people have come out & said I'm right. It doesn't have to do with the vote, while it is the end result, it's the registration. When you look at the registration & see dead people have voted, people registered in 2 states, illegals - people who are not citizens...we can be babies but you take a look at the registration, you have illegals, dead people, you have this. It's really a bad situation, really bad.

So you think you'll be proven correct in that statement?

I think I already have. People have said I am correct.

But the data has to show 3 million illegals voted.

Forget that. Forget all that. Just take a look at the registration. We're gonna do it. I'm gonna set up a commission to be headed by VP Mike Pence & look at it very carefully.

2017, can Americans expect a tax cut?

I think so, yes. I think before the end of the year, I'd like to say yes.

2017, can Americans expect a new healthcare plan rolled out by the Trump administration, this year?

In the process. It may take some time into next year but we are certainly gonna be in the process. Very complicated. Obamacare is a disaster. You have to remember Obamacare doesn't work. We are putting in a wonderful plan. Statutorily, takes awhile to get. We'll be putting it in fairly soon. I'd like to say by the end of the year, at least the rudiments but we should have something within the year & the following year.

You get 4 hours of sleep or some crazy thing like that. When your head hits the pillow, do you ever say "I can't believe I'm here, president of the United States"?

The other day I walked into the main entrance of the White House and said to myself this is amazing or walk into Air Force One. It's surreal in a certain way but you have to get over it because there's so much work to be done. You have to get over it.

Football, how do you see this game?

I like Bob Kraft, like Coach Belichick & Tom Brady is my friend. They're taking heat but also getting popularity out of it. I think they'll do well. Tom is a winner. Coach is great. Other team is fantastic. It's a fantastic team. Less pressure on the Patriots because they've been there. Once you've done it, there's less pressure. We'll see. You have to stick up for your friends, right?

Make a prediction.

I hate to make predictions. I'll say Patriots win, by 8 points.

#37 J.R., Feb 5, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    Exiled likes this.
  18. Major

Major Member

http://www.redstate.com/patterico/2017/02/05/mitch-mcconnell-shows-slightly-cojones-donald-trump/

Let’s put aside the screaming hypocrisy of every person who pissed and moaned about Obama’s apology tour, but defends Trump on this. It’s said that money is the mother’s milk of politics, but I submit that’s wrong: the real mother’s milk is the willingness to engage in absurd, laughable hypocrisy. If Obama had said something like this, the right would have lost its collective you-know-what over it. But as I said, let’s put that aside.

This is an outrageous and unacceptable comment coming from the President of the United States. Some will no doubt argue that a comment like this is necessary for diplomacy. That is hogwash. Not only is it unnecessary, it’s counterproductive. In his book Winter Is Coming, Garry Kasparov made the following observation:

Totalitarian regimes everywhere love to tell their citizens that for all their professed interest in democracy and human rights, Americans and Western Europeans are just as corrupt as their own leaders.

Donald Trump is confirming that exact false claim — and he is doing so as President of the United States. This is not the tradition of American presidents. As Kasparov observes:

Ronald Reagan would talk with his Soviet counterparts but, as Václav Havel once told me, Reagan would also toss the list of political prisoners on the table first!

So. It’s nice to see McConnell telling the truth about Putin, while Trump is doing nothing but justifying Putin’s murderous dictatorship.

foh, adoo and FranchiseBlade like this.
  19. ymc

ymc Member

I think Trump wants to form some sort of partnership with Russia to counter China. If it works, then it can be a good strategic move. So good luck to him.

I think US is cleaner than Russia in terms of internal politics because supposedly we don't quash the opposition. However, in terms of foreign policies, I don't think we are any cleaner.

20. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I have to say it is refreshing to hear Trump imply that Americans are killers too.
    Not as bad as Putin assassinating journalists. . . . But good job, Trump!