1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump expects to be arrested next week

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Mar 18, 2023.

1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Banks are already collapsing these days. Is this a plan to blame Trump for when it all comes falling down? Let's wait and find out.

EDIT: People are already blaming him.

2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Trump's people admitted they don't know if or when Trump would be arrested. Take Tuesday with a huge grain of salt.

dachuda86 likes this.
  3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

This is true. HUGE grain of salt needed for this.

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Maybe I'm not living enough in your world, but I'm not taking the MAGA bank run seriously. LOL.

astros123 likes this.
  5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

whats the address to storm? Im thinking of wearing the marshmello mask

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  6. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I doubt it happens. But if it does it's a great excuse to blame Trump for more problems he didn't have a hand in. I give it a 1% chance of occurring because people are passive now and his hardened base will be busy working.

7. CCorn

CCorn Member

The people dumb enough to actually go through with that will have 0 effect on the economy.

mtbrays, Reeko, Andre0087 and 2 others like this.
  8. astros123

astros123 Member

I love these clueless folks who refuse to acknowledge what trump did. Trump DEREGULATED the banking industry specially for banks the size of SVB and you folks pretend it's some democratic talking point. Are you sincerely this stupid?

What the do you folks think will happen when you give corporate America more and more power and remove regulations. I don't understand why right wingers are so dumb regarding simple economics.

Especially now that higher income folks actually tend to be more democratic now.

#128 astros123, Mar 19, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
  9. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Disney

10. Xopher

Xopher Member

Quit trying to steal my schadenfreude! ;)

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  11. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I just want to watch the fiery but mostly peaceful protests on Tuesday

12. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Breaking...

they did it early to beat the mob...
    [​IMG]

Nook and astros123 like this.
  13. astros123

astros123 Member

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/03/19/gop-trump-indictment-threat-00087765

I don't think I've ever seen a better quote in my life that represents the GOP.

ThaRavenOfSanJack, Rashmon and CCorn like this.
  14. CCorn

CCorn Member

The people dumb enough to actually go through with that will have 0 effect on the economy.
    *a fat dwarf star

ThaRavenOfSanJack and astros123 like this.
  15. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I'll believe it when I see it.

astros123 likes this.
  16. edwardc

edwardc Member

17. edwardc

edwardc Member

Like everyone else is saying i will belive it when i see it.

astros123 and dobro1229 like this.
  18. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

january 6, 2021 was a wednesday.

look at all these gainfully employed, respectable, productive members of society!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Andre0087, mtbrays and Reeko like this.
  19. Reeko

Reeko Member

it’s cute how they think they’re some silent majority

lost to Hillary by 3 million votes

lost to Biden by 7 million votes

the vaunted red wave in 2022 never happened

the actual majority just laughs at these loser clowns

MadMax, Rashmon and astros123 like this.
  20. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wanted to respond to this when I had the time, so sorry it's taken me a couple of days.

I agree with you that the Manhattan DA might be committing a mistake here by pursuing an indictment on light charges. What Trump did doesn't seem to be in dispute (had an affair with Stormy Daniels, paid her off to stay quiet, and lied about the payoff on his books to keep it quiet before an election) and pursuing accountability for that action is, at the end of the day, up to the DA. But, of all Trump's potential legal issues, it seems like a miscalculation to pursue this one over, say, the election tampering in Georgia.

However, the "warning" shot here is what has stuck in my mind. Trump's rise (and continued presence in our body politic) unleashed a new level of shamelessness on our society. People have learned that you can succeed to the highest levels while being the worst version of yourself - unapologetically dishonest, crass, insulting, proudly ignorant, etc. - and still be embraced by a gaggle of shitheads who cheer on the boorishness because they, too, want to succeed without any checks on their worst impulses. The swing from President Obama - who implored people to look to their better angels and had a didactic air about him - to President Trump (who did the exact opposite) caused a massive inner whiplash among Americans. We went from having a professorial president who could inspire (and/or come across as aloof to his critics) with his rhetoric to a president who told his supporters they were fine as they were and could be ugly just like him.

Holding Trump accountable for something, anything, could eventually put the brakes on this continued descent. Informal guardrails on our institutions and the acquiescence of the GOP to Trump and his base meant that he learned he could continually push the envelope and pay no price for it. It's how he conspired to commit election fraud in Georgia, lied about a free and fair election, led a hair-brained scheme to overturn the results, cost the GOP the Senate (twice!) and remains the frontrunner for the 2024 nomination. The GOP had a chance to rid themselves of this cancer during the second impeachment trial, but senators like Mitch failed to do what was necessary. Now the arsonist is back and explicitly threatening to blow it all up should he get a second chance.

To your point about Mitch and his "be careful what you wish for" warning: it's frustrating when one side identifies and exploits these informal guardrails for their own ends (the debt ceiling, the filibuster for routine executive appointments, the "Biden rule," etc.) and insists that if any action is taken to stop the strategic misuse of government they'll do something even worse in the future. But only side unleashed Trump on this country and seems incapable, for a laundry list of reasons we all know and don't need to re-hash here, of ridding themselves of his noxious influence. To suggest that holding him accountable for crimes is simply a partisan exercise devoid of substance that opens the door for retribution is a false equivalence because there is nobody else, in either party, that has this much of a pernicious effect on our society as Donald Trump. It amounts to a threat: "don't go after the bad man because it will only make him (and us since he's with us thanks to the magic (R) next to his name) angry." I'd counter that Trump's continual free pass from the GOP is what is making him worse and would make a potential second term an irrevocable nightmare on the world.

Does Trump deserve his comeuppance? Yes. Is this the case to do it? I'm not sure.

#140 mtbrays, Mar 20, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2023