1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump cabinet selections and appointments

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Bobby Jindal has no leg to stand on when it comes to school. School in Louisiana is a disgrace for students.

2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

If it's only that. In this case, it's clearly a push for religious reason, more than educational. Still SMH that you choose someone so unqualified for the position. This is almost the equivalent of the US public selecting Trump as POTUS. At least a large portion of the public have the label of being "uninformed". The Senate does not. What a shame.

Now I'm interested to understand how much potential real changes we have here -- how easily can she push for a voucher-only system? How easily can she remove special education? Can we see wholesale changes that is very disruptive? ...

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

You really think they're going to open one in sparsely populated, low income areas? Even if it's 5 miles away, how do the students get there if their family can't provide transportation?

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

WTF, the senate committee just got Labor Secretary (aka, Secretary Illegal Alien as a Nanny) Puzder's ethics paper work? And Trump and the republicans are complaining that his cabinet isn't in place yet? What were they doing... scrubbing his hiring paperwork?

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-congress-puzder-idUSKBN15N2FD

5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

providing transportation and site location might be a condition of the charter

a voucher system is preferable as it incentivizes the same behavior (providing transportation, locating nearby, etc. to attract voucher money)

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

And if they don't? Their lobby is likely to argue that they wouldn't be able to turn a profit if they have to provide busing. Plus, why should the education of the nations children be a function of profitability? There's nothing good that can come of it when schools have to make decisions on their quarterly projections.

7. Commodore

gotta spend money to make money

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

That is a totally different conclusion than what the massive Stanford study on charter schools showed

https://urbancharters.stanford.edu/download/Urban Charter School Study Report on 41 Regions.pdf

Urban charter schools New Orleans were clearly shown to be a dramatic improvement over traditional public schools.

Also, in general the richer/white traditional public schools generally outperform the charter schools in their areas. The poorer/black and hispanic charter schools generally outperform traditional public schools in their areas. The public charter schools also get less funding than traditional public schools.

9. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

10. Buck Turgidson

“I’m going to make sure I leverage this opportunity the right way, like a professional grifter should,” DeVos’ email says, “and that means I’ll be putting the pro back in quid pro quo, that’s for darn sure.”

11. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

12. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, satire article on HuffPo. If you click the "read more" button it takes you to the full story on their site.

13. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Ok, I did ot think she is that stupid. :)

14. Commodore

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I honestly think this woman has purchased every fricking accomplishment on her resume
    she got into school by donating to them
    she got a's on papers by buying them

Her motto seems to be you should get what you pay for . . . nothing less nothing more
    She is by far the most unimpressive person in this cabinet.
    Others maybe deplorable but she comes off Palin like.

Rocket River
    BTW - I think the article above is fake but that does not change my opinion

Deckard likes this.
  16. NewRoxFan

17. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

http://www.snopes.com/2017/02/08/jeff-sessions-award-of-excellence

http://www.naacp.org/latest/naacp-statement-alleged-2009-sessions-award/

joshuaao and NewRoxFan like this.
  18. NewRoxFan

joshuaao likes this.
  19. NewRoxFan

Upon further research, I found the article that Graham's tweet appeared. Interesting that only the plaque exists... no letter or other document supporting the awarding of the plaque. Seems odd that three years after Session called NAACP "un-American" he would be awarded a plaque but I guess anything is possible. And that noneone seems to remember or know of such an award. Of course, anything is possible. And of course, it seems important to also note that before and after the NAACP has opposed him for government positions.

20. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Anything is possible when you make **** up.