1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump Budget to Defund Special Olympics

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 26, 2019.

1. dmoneybangbang

And? Teachers are pretty vital to the prosperity of this country. Those salaried private sector workers didn’t learn that knowledge out of thin air...

2. HTM

HTM Member

Yes, I'm "totally down for cutting spending" - that would be a fairly consistent opinion of mine across all government spending. We spend too much money at the federal, state and local levels. The federal government has a $20 trillion + debt. We pour a tremendous amount of money into our educational system and receive poor results. Cut some spending and use the money we do spend more effectively.

BruceAndre likes this.
  3. dmoneybangbang

And you also said “The amount of money being spent isn't a problem so much as how it's being spent.

So you’re a bit all over the place. Personally, I prefer to look at what we are spending it on instead of looking at the raw numbers and comparing that to other OECD countries. I have no idea if Germany has as many layers of government and has such a rural vs urban divide as we do. It may not be as apples to apples as you think.

Like I said, look at how many school districts states have. It way too many and it’s not consistent across densities and municipalities.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You have a way of challenging assertions no one is making.

It doesn't matter if kids need to learn. Wages are based on supply and demand. Moat teaching jobs only require four year degrees and alot of degreed people have their basic skills

cml750 and BruceAndre like this.
  5. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

What did I admit?

6. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

I'm not trolling (at least in this case). Basic point is that teachers get a lot of benefits that other workers don't get. So they're underpaid, some say. My argument is they get a lot of time off and other benefits; and by and large, they probably realize this tradeoff before they ever start teaching.

I don't want to get into too much info on my buddy, but he told me this just the other day. I think maybe his teaching day starts earlier than the rest. And 2:30, 3:30 -- it all sounds pretty early (for an end of workday) to me.

Last, this was a thread about the special Olympics funding, so I don't want to further derail it.

7. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

I know this is off the special olympics topic, but I've been a teacher for over 25 years and would be happy to answer/clear up any questions or misconceptions about teacher pay/vacay/benefits you may have.

biff17 and DFWRocket like this.
  8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Thank you for your work.

Falcons Talon likes this.
  9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You realize that teacher do hours and hours of work at home right? They are busy teaching during school hours so preparation and grading/reading has to be done at home. You're talking about 12-16 hour days when you include that stuff.

CourtOfDreams likes this.
  10. dmoneybangbang

What assertion have you been making then?

11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

12. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Teachers are paid for the nine months they work actually, and the time off is not what they are paid for. They stretch their nine months of pay over that time. Furthermore Teacher salaries have not raised along with inflation. Yes, teachers are underpaid.

biff17 likes this.
  13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

That teachers pay is fair.

That doesn't mean their job isn't important which you projected from my statement and i never said their job wasn't important

Policemen are important and they make about the same in salary.

BruceAndre likes this.
  14. dmoneybangbang

I disagree teachers’ pay is fair and they do too which is why there’s been a lot of strikes.

Policeman are also underpaid, it’s why we have asset forfeitures and various fundraisers/non profits to assist.

15. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Yes I fully realize that, although I think you may be exaggerating a bit on the hours. They still get a boatload of time off. And I guess this thread derail will continue, LOL.

16. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

I would say that if all of that (above) is true, let's start reducing the numbers of those govt employees, to balance the budget. Although, I would like to see the police state reduced first.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Asset forfeiture or people making 50k to 80k isnt a salary problem.

Pay is a supply and demand issue. There isn't a shortage of either profession

cml750 likes this.
  18. cml750

cml750 Member

I agree with your sentiment here but they are both public sector jobs so supply and demand does not always apply.

19. TheresTheDagger

FWIW: Just saw on television at impromptu press conference: Trump says the Special Olympics will be funded.

Falcons Talon likes this.
  20. adoo

adoo Member

can one infer that Trump will be willing to make 12 less round trips to Mar A Lago,
    the cost of which will more than compensate for the funding for the Special Olympics