1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump Budget to Defund Special Olympics

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 26, 2019.

1. biff17

biff17 Member

that would be great if you did paper and pencils are always a great idea and a good pencil sharpener would be greatly appreciated.

2. biff17

biff17 Member

The question should not how many months do you work it's how many hours during the week do you work.

You average about 9.5 hours a day and you are doing school work at least once a weekend.

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Okay, I'm starting to think you're just trolling/teacher-shaming now.

My wife is a teacher, most of my friends from college are band directors/teachers (I was an ed major but chose the corporate sector after college) and several family members are teachers. I can tell you that I don't know of any teacher that leaves at 2:30 since.....well, never. Dismissal isn't even until 3:30 at most schools.

What does your buddy teach that allows him to leave at 2:30 every day? Does he leave before his class leaves? LOL.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  4. dmoneybangbang

Money is absolutely the answer. You aren’t telling anyone what we are actually spending money, you just tell folks it’s a lot.

The cost of administration has risen dramatically.

Education burdened by unnecessary administration costs
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sou...aw3D0YtnfZ9k-4EuW--lco7Y&ust=1553869448660647

5. dmoneybangbang

I don’t think there are any good arguments why we need to cut back the special olympics.

#85 dmoneybangbang, Mar 28, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The argument is that tea party idiot Mick Mulvaney won the booby prize of becoming chief of staff and now has free reign to implement his dumb tea-party pretend budget proposal.

This is all his budget, and since he's from deep red MAGA-ville, nd no longer in congress, the House of Representatives beatdown in November over health care, among other things, didn't really sink in with him. So he can go ahead with things liek "Hey let's try to cancel pre-existing condition coverage" and help dig Trump's grave. I am fine with it for now presuming he doesn't succeed.

7. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Washington post has it at 53 hours
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...6/gIQAqGxYGS_blog.html?utm_term=.e61b6fc26f3d

NEA Busy Teacher has it at 60 hours
    https://edtechmagazine.com/k12/article/2013/08/how-many-hours-do-educators-actually-work

Like I said before, I don't necessarily disagree with this
    We SHOULD be getter more for our money - but it's not the teachers fault.

Yes and no.
    Keep in mind that when we're compared to places like Hong Kong or Finland, we're being compared to places that track their data in completely different ways than we do. We have to include all of their students in our proficiency scores, but many places like China keeps it's poor completely out of it's educational statistics, thereby skewing their scores higher against ours. Finland uses a vocational track and an academic track where students are separated by the time they are 16, and they actually go to school until they are almost 20. When you separate the students in that manner, you're homogenizing the classroom and eliminating a lot of the social and intellectual issues that make it more difficult to teach/learn.

But the biggest difference is cultural. We live in a country where absent parents often do not push education in their households. If the student gets in trouble at school, the parents take the students side and often teach their children through their own actions and words that teachers are people who shouldn't be respected. We have a culture where the student's don't want to learn and teachers aren't allowed to teach. We have administrators with the very minimum teaching experience and politicians with NO teaching experience telling educators how to teach. Heck even our Secretary of Education has no real experience in education - even Laura Bush has more experience. I don't weld..so I would never think about telling a welder how to do his job.

Like test scores, you can't really compare salaries across countries because of the difference in variables. Of course we pay more than countries like Mexico (but not much more at all) where the average salary of everything is lower, or Iceland which has a population of less than 350,000. All the countries NOT in the top ten highest paid are countries with Lower national average pay across all fields of work, so naturally they would pay their teachers less. It's like when idiots try to compare teachers salaries in Texas to teachers salaries in San Francisco. Of course San Francisco pays more, they have a much higher cost of living. I get that according to the OECD we are average compared to similar countries with similar national average incomes, but we're talking about in THIS country vs other people with similar degrees in THIS country. Yes teachers start out with a decent wage, but their raises are deplorable. My wife has a Masters and 24yrs of teaching, but she only makes about 5K more a year than a first-year teacher in this state.

TheFreak, NewRoxFan and biff17 like this.
  8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This administration is despicable.

DD

9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

10. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

This will probably have very little actual effect on Special Olympics. Special Olympics runs an annual budget of about $118 million and ran a surplus of about $8 million. They are a private 503c organization (like a church). The U.S. gave them $11 million in the last budget. So essentially, they only used about $3 million of the money the U.S. actually gave them.

It really isn't that big of a deal because it's such a small part of their operating budget.

At the same time, this budget actually increases $$ allocated to special education teachers by about $226 million. If this administration had any brains, they could've kept the money for Special Olympics, and simply made the special education increase $11 million less..after all it's still a huge increase and they would've came off as looking great because of the increase.

11. HTM

HTM Member

Uh, I look at facts dude. It's not "belittling" teachers to state how many days a year they work. There is some number between 0 and 365 that is the average.

180 days a year is the reported average number of "instructional" days in the United States according to the Education Commission of the States.

http://www.ecs.org/clearinghouse/95/05/9505.pdf

I'm sure there are some number of days teachers are required to attend school that aren't taken into account there ^ so I could listen to a reasonable number in that range.

It's well known teachers get summer vacation, Christmas vacation, spring break, Thanksgiving and every state and federal holiday. You can try and hide from that all you want but it's not going away. It makes up a significant part of the work year.

I only take umbrage with your ad hominems. There is no need to be insulting towards me because I hold a different point of view vis-a-vis teachers and their compensation.

Obviously, your "apology" is insincere and only reflects even more poorly on you.

#91 HTM, Mar 28, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  12. HTM

HTM Member

Yes, administration and bureaucratic bloat are a big problem in all arms of the government.

The amount of money being spent isn't a problem so much as how it's being spent.

13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this is a really good post, particularly the last sentence about "if this administration had any brains." really on-target.

14. dmoneybangbang

Then stop making the mistake of posting how much we spend per student and start posting what the money is being spent on.

DFWRocket and FranchiseBlade like this.
  15. HTM

HTM Member

Yes, I've already called for the reapportionment of money in the American education system. See Page 3.

Americans spend soooo much on primary education/secondary education and the results are a total disaster. I'm totally down for cutting spending. Reapportion the money we already spend and do something productive with it.

Yea, I won't stop pointing out how much we spend per pupil already.

It's a meaningful statistic. It shows we spend money but don't spend it to good effect. We spend far more than the average OECD nation and perform far worse in most every meaningful subject compared to other OECD countries.

We don't need to pour more money into the system the system needs to use our money to better effect.

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

See, I knew there was probably much more to the story when I saw it yesterday than the "Trump wants to cancel the Special Olympics!!!!!111" narrative the media is going with.

I'm not a Trump fan and DEFINITELY not a DeVos fan, but I'm not outraged. This is really nothing more than bad PR.

Kind of reminds me of back in the 90's when Newt and the Republicans wanted to defund PBS and the Democrats accused them of wanting to kill Big Bird. It's just not a good look.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  17. dmoneybangbang

You’re also “totally down for cutting spending”.

Other OECD nations also have more public services and a willingness to use the government to promote its welfare, especially in education.

When you stop focusing on how much money we spend per pupil and focus on what we are spending it on, you’ll see that we need to overhaul how we administrate public education.

In Texas for example, think of all the small rural school districts compared to the large urban districts. All those small rural school districts require a superintendent and corresponding staff.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I understand teachers take a lot of work home but a lot of salaried people in their salary range work more than 40 hrs a week all year

19. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Perhaps I am misreading or getting bad information, but it appears devos is cutting the overall education budget $7 billion and cutting spending for especial education grants...

DeVos defends plan to eliminate Special Olympics funding
    https://www.apnews.com/295f4327eadc4bec89dd8a24b897d851

20. biff17

biff17 Member

Not debating that fact but do a lot of salaried people have to deal with 75 plus teenage hormones and emotional issues to do there job or have to complete there work so that 3 types of learners can understand it.