1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump Budget to Defund Special Olympics

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Its 17 mil. That is literally pennies in the grand scheme of things. These kids already got a pretty crappy lot in life. Why defund something that costs nothing and helps a bunch of disadvantage kids.

dmoneybangbang, Nook and B-Bob like this.
  2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

My wife was in the private sector for 12 years before becoming a teacher. She gets to work at 7 am and typically gets home around 5-5:30...if there isn't a staff meeting...or if the robotics club that she started for the school isn't meeting...or it there isn't a Science Night or Math Night or Reading Night or Meet the Teacher Night or (I can go on). Luckily for us, I work from home so I am here to manage kids appointments and practices and whatever else. She can't get a doctor's appointment until being on break. Teachers get very few vacation/sick days. Conroe ISD didn't provide any. She only got what the state mandated (5 days per year).

What does commute time have to do with anything? If you took a job and didn't know where it was, who's fault is that? You made the choice to commute 2-2.5 hours a day.

Of course they know what the pay is when they get into it. That has absolutely nothing to do with the value of what they do.

B-Bob likes this.
  3. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What a shock. Bruce's buddy is a shitty teacher.

CourtOfDreams and dmoneybangbang like this.
  4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You do realize teachers have to do other work other than the classroom? Grading papers for 6 classes takes a lot of time for instance. I know a few teachers, they work more much more than 40 hours a week.

biff17 likes this.
  5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Your post made me want to go buy school supplies for my son's 3rd grade teacher. I have always gotten my son's different teachers nice gifts for Christmas (doing my own thing not going with the other parents) and the full amount supplies listed at the beginning of the year. But I'm sure she could use more supplies even if for next year.

B-Bob likes this.
  6. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

I'm not caught up on everything. Will there be no Special Olympics? or just no USA in the Special Olympics?

I'm asking because the Special Olympics is a 'worlds sports organization' who's partners are 172 countries.

If the Special Olympics are cancelled.. what are the other 171 countries doing? They don't pay anything?

Can someone fill me in on whats going on in this matter? I admittedly know nothing here.

Does the special olympics only cost 18 million? Or is that Americas portion? If it's 18 mil, why doesn't 172 countries divide that down to about 100k apiece?

#66 Realjad, Mar 27, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  7. Nook

Nook Member

At least they are honest now....... before they wo
    It is complicated.

First I agree with the sentiment that we want to attract the best teachers and I am even willing to pay more in taxes to do that. I have zero issue raising teaching salaries and at the same time raising expectations. In last generations being a school teacher was more respected and profitable. At this point teachers get very little respect and are treated as if they teach because they can’t get another white collar job. This perception/reality needs to change.

Also I get frustrated when I hear families members that are teachers complain about their hours. Some teachers put in long hours and some do not. In many cases you can get by as a teacher and not put in extra hours. While I agree with you that other white collar professions require off the clock time, it doesn’t mean it is healthy or right. For years I put in extra time, I no longer do and I will not in the future. Frankly, I am in a position where I don’t have to and it isn’t worth it. Living in Europe changed my opinion in that regard.

8. HTM

HTM Member

I can't argue with anecdotes or unsupported claims. Cite your work, use studies and statistics. As far as I know, nothing supports an "average" of 55 hours per week.

Yes, I'm sure teacher have some sort of continuing education they are required to take. Lawyers do. Doctors do. I'm sure other professions do. Good. Many also get Masters for pay increases/the ability to move up the educational pyramid (thereby making more money). That is also true and an accurate statement.

The U.S. has a massive problem with its educational system. It's awful. We are 4th in the world in spending per pupil... The United States spent $12,300 per FTE student at the elementary/secondary level, which was 29 percent higher than the average of $9,600 for OECD member countries reporting data.

(Primary and Secondary education)

https://nces.ed.gov/programs/coe/indicator_cmd.asp

Yet, we rank --> Among the 35 members of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, which sponsors the PISA initiative, the U.S. ranked 30th in math and 19th in science.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/02/15/u-s-students-internationally-math-science/

I don't lay this at the feet of the teachers. There is a lot that goes into that. Though they may take some of the blame.

This has nothing to do with "vocational classes" or "conceptual math"

Money isn't the answer. We spend wayyy too much for the return we are getting already. I'd love to see cuts to education. It's a bloated ineffective arm of the government.

American teachers are not "underpaid" on average compared to teachers in other OECD countries.

9. HTM

HTM Member

There is no need to be angry or insulting.

I'm glad your wife does a public service. That's great.

10. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Pay and commute has everything to do with everything. It all factors in to the requirements of a job.

And, you are agreeing with me. I'm saying that teachers know, or should know, what they are getting into. Same with me and my job, or anybody and their job.

And, you are being ridiculous. "Taking a job and not knowing where it is?" -- I have to think you don't commute. I've held my current job for 8-9 years now, and it's always been in the same place. But, commuting conditions have become objectively worse over the past few years.

I brought it up because it's a major consideration for whether or not to take a job. It does impact lifestyle. And, by and large, teachers don't have this challenge that most of the rest of us have. Generally, teachers work not too far from where they teach (as they should). That's one of the many offsetting benefits of their job.

11. body slam

body slam Member

the money being cut is what percentage of the overall budget of the special olympics?

12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

The money being cut is how many taxpayer paid golf trips for trump to mar a lago... four? Five?

13. NewRoxFan

The money being cut is what percent of the tax break trump's tax plan gave for purchasing jets?

Trump tax law created breaks for Wall Street to buy private jets
    https://www.accountingtoday.com/art...ed-breaks-for-wall-street-to-buy-private-jets

14. body slam

body slam Member

look i'm all for the special olympics and have 3 friends that compete. I know plenty of money is wasted on other things. I just want to know how big of overall hit the special olympics will take?

15. NewRoxFan

If it is 1% or 50%, why does that matter. I believe the outright amount is $18M so its likely a very small amount. devos' proposed cuts overall on education ($7.1 billion cut) and especially special education.

She is simply abhorrent and should never had been put in the role. The fact her budget proposal calls for a $60 million INCREASE for charter schools without sufficient oversight on how that money is spent (she claims its OK when charter schools fail because they should be free to "innovate").

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

How many months do teachers work?

I think science and math teachers are underpaid based on what they could make in the private sector but for the most part teacher salaries are competitive with the rest of the world.

The Special Olympics is a good event obviously but it isn't necessary to the participants lives and its not like it involves all special needs kids. That being said given the cost this is stupid.

17. leroy

So you can belittle and minimize what teachers do but I can't say you wouldn't last an hour in a classroom with out your feelings being hurt?

I apologize to anyone that was offended by my statement that they wouldn't last an hour in a classroom. I was wrong...because if you're affected by that statement, you wouldn't last 10 minutes in a classroom.

18. HTM

HTM Member

Yea, you go ahead and quote anything I said belittling teachers.

And I’m the thin skinned one?

But double down on your classless posting and ad hominems.

19. leroy

Well, i suppose you are. At least @BruceAndre admits it. You seem to be offended by the notion that I don't think you understand what goes into the day in a life of a teacher. You seem to be offended by the notion that I think it's belittling teachers by saying they only work 185 days...as if the rest are just pure vacation and there's nothing else they have to do.

Again, I apologize for hurting your feelings.

20. biff17

biff17 Member

My thoughts exactly there is no way he can leave everyday at 2:30 when does he grade work and record those grades?

you can't do it during class time.

if you have three graded assignments a week which is on the low side that at least 300 papers that need to be graded and that's not counting test.

i wonder if people realize how long it takes to grade and record grades.

And then you have parent contacts.

this idea that your day ends after the bell is ludicrous.