1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump Budget to Defund Special Olympics

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not surprised by this at all - Trump wants winners not loser special olympics kids.

biff17 likes this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

People knew Donald Trump was an American ******* when they elected him in 2016. He was elected in part because he is an *******.

The election is going to be close regardless, and likely is going to come down down to a few states like Florida, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Wisconsin.

pgabriel likes this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

It took me a bit to realize Mike Pence was in the picture as well.

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

5. Buck Turgidson

6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

gotta admit that's pretty damn funny

7. biff17

biff17 Member

Most charter schools get better students and have higher rates of parental involvement so your premise is false.

8. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

a premise is part of a syllogism . . . I simply asked questions. There is no premise, there is no argument, there is no conclusion. Only questions.

9. biff17

biff17 Member

Burn.

10. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

And what a beautifully orange @$$*&^% he is. :D

11. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

You should see their holiday and summer month schedules. They get spring break. I don't. They get practically a month off at Christmas. I don't. They get summers off. I don't.

They knew what they were getting into.

They want to get paid more? Change careers. (And a lot of them do.)

12. biff17

biff17 Member

since you posted the article there can't only be questions, posting the article is part your syllogism it's up to you to say otherwise.

and I answered your question so what now?

Can't believe you are going to actually double down on this impartial assessor shtick.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  13. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

honestly I only posted that link because it was the first thing that came up on a google search for "U.S. high school failure rates" . . . it said 30%, I went with that. Simply trying to provide documentation for the figure of 30%. That's it.

didn't you say you were going to ignore me? for both our sakes, I hope you do. ;)

14. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

@biff17 here is where you said you were going to ignore me. Or am I reading too much into the words "Anyway I am done with him"?

15. biff17

biff17 Member

Nope I decided as long as you keep up this charade I will continue to shine light on it.

And you just proved my point of you were actually impartial you would search for a more neutral article or on the subject but I guess your excuse now is going to be it was the 1st article that showed up.

Really?

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I agree with the decision...

Nothing against the Special Olympics, but I think it should be served by donations (granted they blow through that money sending me thank you notes and what not for 3 years after I donated $50).

People call me a liberal now days, and act like I'm a democrat, but I've always been a fiscal conservative.

Nook and BruceAndre like this.
  17. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I'm glad to still have you on board. good luck with that.

18. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

First, the article proposes year-round school. So that would eliminate those long holidays and winter/summer breaks.

But second, your statement ignores the many hours that teachers put into the jobs after hours and weekends. My wife is a pre-school teacher at a local Christian school and she works most evenings preparing for the next day and spends even more hours per week preparing lesson plans, setting up the classroom, meeting with parents, preparing evaluations and taking continuing education. Teachers in elementary and secondary schools put in additional hours grading student papers. And many are involved in extracurricular activities.

As a parent, I directly see the value that teachers provide to my children. My children are the most valuable thing I have... and I entrust them to schools and teachers. I want the very best people teaching my kids.

CourtOfDreams likes this.
  19. biff17

biff17 Member

I changed my mind since I realized I was living rent free.

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I generally agree with the sentiment, but you want to attract quality candidates to teaching positions. Teachers complaining about the hours they work gets on my nerves because in almost all white collar careers require those hours outside of normal working hours, but without months off.

And whether they are underpaid deals a lot in where you live. It is very difficult in large cities where cost of living tends to be substantially higher.