1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Trump] An invitation for Evangelicals to Debate the Merits of Supporting Trump

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rox>Mavs, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

merry christmas everyone...

Yeah i don’t think it’s surprising that Christians are multifaceted in the issues the vote for. I’ve voted Democrat and Republican. I’d describe myself as more libertarian because I just prefer smaller government which included the government dealing with social issues because again, I’d prefer the local church and communities dealing with the social needs. But that aside, I know plenty of Christians that vote Democrat. Many that will never for GOP because of the religious hypocrisy they exude.

I think my point here in the thread that I’m challenging Christians on is tying faith to any political party, person, country, whatever. That always dilutes the faith and creates exactly what you see today. Some perverted form of Christianity in the political arena. I’ve heard some people say you can’t be a Christian and vote Democrat. Recently I’ve heard you can’t be a Christian and vote GOP. I think appending faith to either or any is dangerous and why it’s important for Christian leaders to ensure its congregations stay out of such allegiances and above the fray.

BaselineFade and fchowd0311 like this.
  2. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

OP, for what it's worth, I think this is a very interesting and relevant thread. I think it is deeply difficult for Christians to defend the support for Trump. The answer is that support for Trump runs contrary to the stated or understood higher values or purposes of the Bible or Church.

But it doesn't work that way. As someone said, the support for Trump is based on Trump's ability to push back against modern culture and society. From there, Christians who support must reconcile the support ofTrump with the Bible in some way. It's a religious form of confirmation bias. Most people aren't capable of, or don't want to engage in, intellectual honesty... at least not when it comes to a situation where they have made a decision that is "wrong" but they feel deeply that it is or should be right. They lie to themselves or adopt a selective view that makes it ok. But everyone does that in different aspects of life.

In the eyes of non-christians, the Church was already suffering in reputation due to a lot of things (e.g., Catholic priests). The deep support of Trump has indeed further tarnished the Church. The op-ed went straight to the heart of the matter --- if you're christian and you're supposed to be very thoughtful or focused on spreading the gospel and the higher purpose/values of the Church, the broad support of Trump is highly damaging to that goal. If it's the highest goal, the only thing that can be said is that the actions of the church don't align with that goal and the church has lost its way.

I like your view of the Church -- that it has a high calling, it's supposed to be a beacon in difficult times. That's when the Church is at its very best and when non-christians see it as a positive to society. I think that most non-christians grudgingly recognize that that form of the Church still exists, but they feel it is the exception rather than the norm.

3. Rox>Mavs

you have spoken my heart on this matter. And it grieves me deeply. Not so much because of how how non-Christians perceive the Church today though that it something to grieve. But more so I believe it grieves God. This is not the Church I see Him commission in the Bible.

as you and others have said, I think many Christians have justified supporting Trump and overlooking his behavior because he gets them what they want. It’s tempting to legislate morality and dictate right and wrong through political might. But it’s a flawed approach that ends in setting the Church against the culture when that’s never been the purpose or design of the church. Every time the Church has erred in this way, it has led to societal disaster, whether catholic or Protestant, and has damaged the Church’s higher calling.

I’ll go out on a limb and say i think the concept of American Democracy has been the silent virus that has infecting Christians in the US. The idea that Christians have not just a right but obligation to vote implies the Church has a mechanism of power to influence cultural transformation and change. And why not? It’s deeply “American” to exercise the democratic right to vote.

but it’s a tempting easier way for the Church to circumvent it’s purpose. To affect change without ever having to love and care for those in the culture.

I almost feels like as a Christian, we don’t get the right to vote to address social or moral issues through political means unless we’ve put in the work to change them through relationships and the work of ministering through the Church. You don’t get to use that mechanism unless you’ve done everything you can to do it the way God designed transformation to happen. That sounds “unAmerican” to say. That voting is toxic, but as a Christian my first And only allegiance is to Christ. Christ + Country or anything really is heresy.

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

hi OP. I was changed when, in my youth, my Methodist preacher recommended the writings of Dietrich Bonhoeffer. I’m NOT making analogies between his awful times and our weird times, but there is a deep clarity on the interface of church and political society in that man’s mind. He made an ultimate sacrifice to support the way of Christ, where so many around him rationalized.

ive been super lucky to recently reconnect with that minister, who is now in his 80’s! He’s still an avid reader of challenging works.

and. Merry Christmas to all of y’all.

5. Rox>Mavs

I’m so very thankful you had opportunity to read Bonhoeffer and to have a minister that has challenged you. Such leaders and mentors in my life have been instrumental in my own growth and I seek to “pay it forward” when ever I can.

I agree our times are not similar to Bonhoeffer’s but I believe it true that in times in which the Church is strained into moral error, new leaders and voices must rise through it all to call the Church back to its strong Anchor. I’m hopeful the American church, perhaps through the next generation, will see a revival that rejects the toxicity that has infected todays Church.

FrontRunner and B-Bob like this.
  6. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

So you're citing one church and one religion...

But you still have not stated what religion is taking its place..

T_Man

7. T_Man

Dude... what the crap????

Man you just need to quit with some of this crap you're posting...

T_Man

8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I'm going to be honest dude. It's as if you stopped your US history education at middle school. This is like macaroni art levels of understanding colonial America that you learn in 5th or 6th grade.

The Puritans who left Europe because they wanted to freely practice their abusive religious practices that were draconian as **** are not part of the same ancestor tree as modern Southern Evangicals. In fact, there was a period of time when the Northern colonies were draconian fundamentalist religious hot beds while the Southern colonies just attracted people who wanted to get in on the cheap land and agriculture and weren't particularly religious.

Also, those early group of colonists who left Europe over their religious values are not praiseworthy people. They were no better than modern day ISIS and the European communties that shunned them shunned them for good reasons. The Puritan definition of persecution in Europe was not being able to persecute others. The Puritans that left Europe over their religion are nothing like the founding fathers who authored and signed the Constitution.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Here is a Pew study that says young adults are turning away from religion all together.

Happy?

https://www.pewforum.org/2018/06/13/the-age-gap-in-religion-around-the-world/

The Age Gap in Religion Around the World

By several measures, young adults tend to be less religious than their elders; the opposite is rarely true

In the United States, religious congregations have been graying for decades, and young adults are now much less religious than their elders. Recent surveys have found that younger adults are far less likely than older generations to identify with a religion, believe in God or engage in a variety of religious practices.

10. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pascal's Wager.

All of the hyper-religious conservative boomers were Godless hippies in the 60's and 70's until their own death became more than a theoretical abstraction.

I'd bet if you had good enough data, it would be a consistent trend back as far as you could go.

11. T_Man

Young adults believe in God as I do.. but are not defined by a religion.. such as myself.. I was raised Baptist, but I attend a non-denominational church..

https://lifewayresearch.com/2019/01/31/young-adults-keep-christian-label-shed-many-practices/

You are searching for articles off the internet or listening too others without any true information since it sounds as if you dont attend church.

This is the same as a certain doctor writing books on how to raise kids with out ever having any...

T_Man

12. fchowd0311

You just posted a article that did research only on young people WHO ATTEND CHURCH.

That sample is going to have a skewed bias towards people with more religious tendencies... you think?

I agree with @Ottomaton that Pascal's Wager is a real thing and this current young generation that includes me and a lot of posters here might change our minds when we turn 70 or 80.

But overall, isn't church attendence down considering the entire population anyways? So yes, this young generation will have many who will try to find religion again, but the net attendence at churches in the US is declining anyways. Maybe because the Boomer generation is a unnaturally large generation hence "baby boomer" and they are at the age of passing away naturally?

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  13. Rox>Mavs

I understand the reasoning of Pascal’s wager but that’s just not my experience when it comes to what draws people to church (young or old). If the motivation is only ensuring an afterlife than all you get is shallow faith.

If anything my observation is the draw for younger people is relationships and deeper meaning in life and in those relationships. Being married and having kids places another motivator to deepen those relationships and to do well in their roles as husband, wife, mother, father.

I rarely see people come into the church because they’re worried about their eternal life nearing their later years.

14. T_Man

My point with the link is that you can find an article that meets your need...

With the religion... my question was never answered...
    what religion is taking its place?
    More people dont identify themselves with a religion such as Baptist or Catholic.. especially the bigger churches... They are non-denominational.
    More and more people define themselves as spiritual, but that doesn't mean they dont believe in God.

I will refer to rox>mavs when he stated they do webcast... so does Olstean, TD Jake's, Tony Evans and more... My daughter who is 20 something looks at the One church webcast...

Young adults are in church, but not the traditional way.

T_Man

15. Rox>Mavs

yeah “church” is being redefined as is spirituality. People aren’t going to traditional church as much but that doesn’t mean the Church is dying. Just needing to be reformed.

worship, community, teaching, care, and service are all facets of what the “church” does but the younger generation doesn’t see all those having to be in one place.

teaching can be done by webcast, podcast much more easily. Why stick with one pastors teaching when you can stream the very best teaching more selectively and more easily than waiting for a Sunday service?

worship doesn’t have to happen in context of a church building either.

care can be received though a number of other means as well.

the next iteration of expression for the church is something that has to adapt to the next generation’s use of tech and media to build connection and affect growth.

Our church wrestled for a long time with webcasting. Fearing that offering an online version might give reason for younger people to not “come to church”. But again, the Church has to adapt its form to meet each generation where they’re at.

tradition church attendance might on the decline but that doesn’t mean Christianity is. It just needs to be redefined in its form.

T_Man likes this.
  16. T_Man

I agree...

Also as Baptist churches numbers have declined.. Non-denominational churches have grown... still Christianity...

T_Man

17. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Actually there were other persecuted groups.... you are the one leaning on what fifth grade taught....

18. fchowd0311

List them and show their ties to the modern Southern Evangelical lineage.

19. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

I live in Arkansas and NONE of my friends go to church. We did as youths but religion is dying a fast death.

No Worries likes this.