1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Trump] An invitation for Evangelicals to Debate the Merits of Supporting Trump

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rox>Mavs, Dec 22, 2019.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Christianity is declining in America. Many churches are seeing a graying of their congregations and are looking for ways to re-engage with younger people.

I strongly suspect that the decline in Christianity is a major grievance of the Evangelicals.

2. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And is that assumption working for you thus far in this thread?

Seems to me like the people you want to talk with don't really want to engage on your terms. My personal experience is that people dont rigidly delineate between scripture and politics and social norms and group identity. They tend to run together like melting crayons to the point that you would have trouble teasing them apart. Or maybe the people you want to talk to don't frequent the D&D.

#62 Ottomaton, Dec 24, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
    dmoneybangbang likes this.
  3. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

well as I stated in the OP it was strictly an invitation for Evangelicals. The only people replying in this thread seem most to be not. I assume because they’d like to debate the merits of Christianity which is a fine topic to debate. But yeah not the focus of this thread. Now the fact I haven’t really gotten discourse with any other believer willing to debate the issue on biblical grounds tells me

a) there aren’t any that are rockets fans that are crazy enough to be surfing a forum (which is likely)

b) there aren’t any that feel confident enough in their theology to engage the debate (again likely)

either way though how would I know if there are none and only A or B are true unless I open an invitation by opening the thread? I’ll go a few more rounds in here hoping someone picks it up but if I don’t then I’ll assume A or B.

if it ends up being C (people who don’t delineate between politics and faith) than I’m not interested in a debate with them since we’d be operating off different beliefs. But if indeed it’s more C, then the reality is more likely that the true church of faithful believers is a lot smaller than most assume is there in America. A majority of church goers are cultural Christians by that measure which means they really aren’t Christians.

if that’s the case I can come to terms with that. There’s just no way I or any other Christian would truly know without challenging others through biblical debate. Which again, is why I started the thread. To resolve the question in my mind one way or the other.

4. Rox>Mavs

I should clarify, I have gotten engagement from one poster in private messaging. But my last round of biblical questions haven’t been answered yet which I assume is either because it’s the holidays and they’ve got better things to do than surf the D&D on Christmas Eve. Or they don’t know how to respond to my biblical citations.

5. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

So if Christianity what's taking its place or where are people going too..

T_Man

6. Rox>Mavs

youre talking about engaging the millennial generation which every church ought to thinking really hard in terms of changing the way they do church if they want to engage them well. Again this is the job of every generation of church leader and pastor. We all need to be thinking less about how to reach those in our own generation and more those of the next. Cultivating critical thinking and leadership

edit: I think if the next generations of young people are leaving the church in its current form, they’ll look to reform in a context that is authentic and meaningful for them. I do think traditional church as we see it today will die off. Form must always change and that’s a good thing, but function remains the same throughout every generation so long as the core theology remains in tact.

#66 Rox>Mavs, Dec 24, 2019
    No Worries likes this.
  7. T_Man

What makes you think young people are leaving the church...

At the church that I attend, youth are growing and are engaged in every way.. This also goes with the church that I attend with my wife...

T_Man

8. T_Man

You're also changing subjects...

You stated Christianity was declining and I asked what Religion was taking its place? You never answered that... you started talking about young people... So if Christianity is declining then what religion is growing?

9. Rox>Mavs

The latest research, my church is growing as well. 10 years ago our attendance was something like 2500. Today somewhere around 8000. But the greatest area of growth has been in our online service. That’s where most are engaging. The trick is creating relational connection through virtual mediums.

but we look at national data and research to see where churches are declining and where they’re growing. Learning from one another to understand what gets the next generation truly engaged in transformation. But I’m at a church with incredible resources. Many smaller ones with smaller budgets and staff don’t have access to the same data so they’re having to shoot in the dark on a lot of things.

10. Rox>Mavs

That actually wasn’t me that claimed Christianity was declining. You were replying to No Worries. I was just chiming in.

but I will say that the next generation is becoming more disillusioned with traditional church. But that’s nothing new....each generation has to refresh the way it thinks about ministry lest it shutter its doors once it’s last generation dies off.

Edit: I will also say growth in numbers doesn’t mean growth in faith and maturity. It’s easy to gain in numbers if you have a message that scratches an itch. The same way Fox News can gain numbers in viewership by airing entertainment news that people want to hear.

the real question of growth and engagement is more about engaging more people in transformational growth that can be uncomfortable to their general sensibilities of what it means to live a Christ centered life.

#70 Rox>Mavs, Dec 24, 2019
  11. Rox>Mavs

permit me to give you a real example. This month I’m tasked to pilot a ministry for new parents, couples expecting their first kid. We researched a number of ways to do this. A class, online, weekly small group. We landed in doing a weekend retreat that includes 3 educational sessions and a long period of leisure time for couples to get to know one another. Now my own inclination based on my own generation would be to go heavy on content so people actually get tools and education. But a panel of millennials that we’re piloting this with prefer a relational experience. So I went lighter on content and created more time for engagement. We have to rethink the way we do things in order to create value and meaning for the generation that will be the next leaders.

a lot of churches don’t take as much time to abandon traditional ways of doing things and work to recreate ministries. But those that do will be able reach younger people.

12. T_Man

My bad.. that was no worries...

I am non denominational and both of the churches I attend are also growing... one has over 500 memebers the other is a smaller church with 100...

You sound like you attend a church such as Joel Olstean... my ques for you... are you trying to save people's soul or gain numbers and treating the church as a business...

T_Man

13. Rox>Mavs

Lol, yeah Joel’s church is gigachurch man. Those numbers are nuts....like 50k. 8k is huge too though. I originally came from churches anywhere between 100-800. I took a pastoral position at the church I’m at now. I’m one of 20-25 pastors so I’m very narrow in my job function. I only help with care ministries, counseling and recovery, curriculum and leadership development.

I would say it’s not even a point of stated emphasis of “saving souls”. My church is focused on engaging the community wherever they’re at, creating relationships and allowing the conversations that come out of those relationships function as opportunities to see the gospel applied in real life and in messy ways.

most of my every day job entails meeting with people that are hurting and needing help. A lot of it’s mental health and marriage issues. But whatever the case, I/we look to engage people in the real hard and messy parts of life because that’s where the need is, that’s where change happens and where the gospel means the most.

if by “running a church like a business” you mean about making money, I can tell you no one on our staff went into this to make money. I left a 6 figure salary in consulting to do this. A lot of my fellow pastors as well. Many of them are capable of earning so much more and left high paying salaries to do something to make a difference.

Even the private practice that I run. We gave out something like $200k in free counseling to the community to offer help that was more affordable. I understand many see churches as prosperity gospel and money making schemes. And many within the Christian community see large churches as businesses. I do think to operate at larger levels you need to run the staff like a corporation in order to function. But many of the partner churches of similar size as ours, we all do this because we want to serve.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  14. T_Man

Thanks for the info

T_Man

15. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

I don’t think there’s necessarily a tiny church of faithful believers...I think there’s a large swath of true Christians who vote democrat. I hate identity politics and yeah I’m a registered Democrat so of course I’m gonna say we’re the “righteously justified” party. But my sincere belief is that acceptance of others is the basic tenant of faith, as such Jesus would’ve favored liberal social policies.

Donald Trump is agnostic. I don’t know whether he outright dismisses Christianity, but I’m certain he’s never cared about any church teachings.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

My info is completely anecdotal. I got my info from my church going relatives, one of whom was a Methodist minister. They told me that the younger generation grows up in the church but leaves as young adults. They also told me that their churches are trying to keep and allure back young adults (like having one of the Sunday morning services be non-traditional and more youth oriented). All anecdotal.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I just think Donald Trump has no levels of introspection to even have a set of ideologies or principles. He truly lives in the moment. Anything he says is meant to pander to a set targeted audience or unabashedly praise himself.

#77 fchowd0311, Dec 24, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
  18. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Not sure what is so mysterious to people about the way people vote... especially since Christians support dems too. That right there should tell you it is not a religious decision. I don't know anyone who votes by religion actually. Most Christians vote for other reasons.

#78 dachuda86, Dec 25, 2019
    Jayzers_100 likes this.
  19. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

One other thing... Christians often are born of long standing families that are from disarmed and abused religous populations in europe. This is why many support gun ownership... they were brought up to distrust the power above them. america itself is largely a rejection of Europe and an embrace of new ideas and taking that from authoritarians and giving it to the people... it is no wonder Christians who made up the founding passed on such values. They also don't all have open arms to the alphabet people and abortion. These issues are just some of the reasons they don't lean dem. Also they are pro America and Republicans are more caring toward national interests at face value. I have long said the dems' biggest mistake is their rejection of American motiffs as they would rather have an american flag while Republicans will gladly have two... and larger ones at that.

for many it isn't religous though... it is values based and it involves perception and emotion as well. For some it is their wallet... but I know very few who vote cause Jesus.

#79 dachuda86, Dec 25, 2019
  20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I know plenty of people that are essentially single issue voters. They will vote for the Pro Life candidate every time. Now, one can argue as to whether or not that is a "religious" issue, but in most cases it is.