1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Trump] An invitation for Evangelicals to Debate the Merits of Supporting Trump

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rox>Mavs, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Well to be fair, most threads in the D&D are a joke. In the GARM as well.

And also to be fair, my understanding is most wouldn’t have chosen Trump. They would have gone Cruz or someone else, but trump was the “lessor of evils” that ultimately delivered on what they wanted. My contention is the price wasn’t worth it.

so far this thread isn’t accomplishing what I set out to do. I haven’t received much of a response from any other believer with a strong biblical support for supporting Trump. Perhaps they just aren’t here either or can’t justify their position biblically. Perhaps it’s just the holidays and they have family stuff going on. Or Perhaps I have to say something incendiary and trolling to provoke discourse here?

If you’re a Christian leader or your pastor publicly supports trump, they or you are willfully sinning against God and need to be rebuked and held accountable. Prove to me I’m wrong.....

Maybe that’ll garner more discourse??

peleincubus likes this.
  2. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not trying to hijack the thread but...

[​IMG]
    In case you dont read German, the inscription is "God with us" with the swastika, implying God is a Nazi I guess? People have always been really good at convincing themselves that God wants whatever it is that they want. And other, manipulative people are good at using that.

Rallying people around the "will of God" has always been a way to generate support for war.

It's much less frustrating to bend your perception of God to to your desires, rather than bending your desires to God. People dont do it consciously. It's just much easier.

I say this only because, I dont think you can out-logic evangelical Trump supporters into abandoning him.

dmoneybangbang and mdrowe00 like this.
  3. Rox>Mavs

have you read Bonhoeffer? Wiki him.....whenever there is injustice and heresy, the church ought to be there to correct it.

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Then be respectful and dont post. If someone asks for open dialogue, engage in a respectful manner. The best insight I've had is when people have corrected me in a respectful manner instead of ridiculing me.

If you're MO is about ridiculing and insulting, stick with Fox/CNN, national political debates, Carl Herrara threads or the Kardashians.

5. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

So he was able to convince all the Nazis to give up Nazism and change their ways and he lived happily ever after?

Os Trigonum likes this.
  6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I was raised catholic. The ring of pedophiles does not do it for me either. I have much more reason to believe in Eastern philosophies than any western theological religion.

What makes a person think that where they are born and proceeds to fall right in with what they are taught spirituality from a child onward? What are the chances that is really the correct path? Chances are it is not and you are wasting your damn time. And would be way better served going out and helping someone in need and make the world a better place with all of that time spent in a building “praising god”.

I hope Christianity and Islam will decline and that will indeed make the world a better place. Making a thread like this a mute point and the hypocrisy that it is.

7. Rox>Mavs

could do with out the condescension if you’d like to actual engage in a thoughtful discussion. Read up on Bonhoeffer. Part of the churches function is to correct false theology when it occurs in culture and damages society. Every creed and council of the church has come out in response to damaging heresy.

Bonhoeffer has been instrumental in refining and correcting errant theology in his generation. The same I believe must happen today in the face of modern American evangelicalism.

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

If I were you I would block me on here because I’m not respectful enough with MO.

Merry CHRISTmas. Or as dumb ass Christians and others get offended by merry xmas (which is actually derived from the Greek alphabet) and not offensive at all.

9. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

Ok. Good luck with that.

My impression is 1000lb bombs and hanging the ringleaders by the neck in Nuremburg did a lot more to change the direction of Nazi Germany, but perhaps Bonhoffer would have caused the Nazis to change their ways eventually without that.

#49 Ottomaton, Dec 24, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  10. Rox>Mavs

tell me why you would make such a generalized statement? Do you believe my own faith has led to nothing more than futile and fruitless “praise” without producing any good in the world?

perhaps I can agree that errant Christianity, or Cultural polluted Christianity ought to die away. But that is the challenge of every generation. But how do you know you can, or if you are at all, making a distinction between the two?

fchowd0311 likes this.
  11. Rox>Mavs

condescension aside, I actually feel the same. I was talking to wife this morning about this. It’s hard not to lose hope in the American church. Enough to where I honestly asked her if she’d ever consider moving out of country. American Christianity feels filthy to me many times.

12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Why are you saying a generalized statement and the next sentence refer to yourself specifically? But of course not. There are of course many good Christians, Muslims and others.

But I no longer think it is needed and it has served its purpose. And there is high High odds that all of it is made up. People can distort truth and facts in the year 2020. The odds of almost everything happening in the Bible is extremely small. But go ahead and base a portion of your life on it. I guess

13. Rox>Mavs

yeah I wouldn’t mind having an honest, open and respectful discussion. I don’t expect at all for non-Christians to agree. Part of the point I’m making is more Christians ought to be willing to engage these charges discussions where there is already animosity and hate. But to still engage to discussion because that’s the only way through it all imo.

but I understand if you can’t talk to me in this thread without that resentment. In fact I’m empathetic to why you have it.

14. Rox>Mavs

I said that because it sounded like you were saying that the Christian today does nothing more than praise God in a building and does nothing to actually help the world. I have built my life around doing what I can on this side of heaven to make a difference. I know and work with many who do the same. My challenge to you is that your statement assumes the whole of Christianity does nothing good in this world. Which seems like a very generalized statement. That’s not been my observation or experience.

15. Rox>Mavs

By this reasoning, the only way to combat wickedness is through might and violence. I can understand why that’d make sense. But follow that to its logical conclusion. There is no good outcome in that. I’ll admit the church’s approach ends in no real good outcome either. Hence the reason why the end of the Bible depicts a world that continues to fall into greater and greater depravity. The church is there to only stem the tide and be a reflection of goodness. At least that’s the way it’s suppose to be. I’ll admit, even the Bible depicts a grossly perverse church as the end of all things approaches.

but that’s like 3 or 4 tangents. But just wanted to reply to your base point.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  16. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

The south that most of us grew up in (yeah I’m from Arkansas but I’m lumping you Houstonians with me) is the Bible Belt and breeds evangelical support because there’s an inherent rejection of science and lack of education. I’m not saying Christians are automatically uneducated. Cory Booker is devout but I think he would be a great president.

But Trump Country is Bible County. I’d say you’re looking for an illusory answer. They’re trump supporters that just so happen to be regular church goers. Any answer I’ve heard is an excuse. “He commits sin but we all do and he seeks forgiveness.” Trump of course tries to quote scripture and fails at that. He’s visited a few churches here and there. Modern evangelism is so focused on defunct policy issues and the Left is simply the enemy. Mitt Romney was one of the most faithful candidates I’ve ever seen in politics, but evangelicals today will say Trump represents them best. Why? Because they’re dumb, not because they’re in touch with the Holy Spirit.

dmoneybangbang and Rox>Mavs like this.
  17. Rox>Mavs

I suspect this to be true but I’ve been holding out hope that I’m wrong. That there has to be some greater compelling reasoning that I’m not seeing or understanding. But without that, I’m left with the same conclusion. Evangelicals that support a Trump are either more Interested in American politics than they are in transformational gospel. Or they’re just uneducated which I don’t fault them for. I fault the pastors and leaders that were charged to teach and disciple them to be better educated citizens.

so yeah my ire is squarely on those 200 evangelical leaders that supported trump. They in my mind are the source of a failed evangelical generation.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  18. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

Read this in some stupid book once:

If you've ever been to a therapist, you don't sit down on a couch, tell them everything you've done wrong, and sit back and listen to them spit out a clinical laundry list of everything wrong about you. They don't go directly at you. They come at you from an angle and ask you questions that help you see how the problems in your life are connected back to your own decisions and actions.

Nazis didn't give up Hitler when the entire world told them what a bad dude Hitler was. In 1941 when they were marching on Moscow Hitler supporters were beyond help. But 4 years later at the point that Hitler's worldview had run his course and the fruits of it had been reaped and it was clear to them that their own personal ruin directly came from him, that is when they had the "come to Jesus" moment and were willing to change their ways. At that point they were willing to entertain ideas like those of the recently deceased Mr. Bonhoeffer. You don't change people's beliefs by heading straight at them. You approach obliquely and help find their own way to the truth.

If they aren't willing to come to the proper conclusion, they haven't suffered enough yet and won't change their minds anyway. Once you say, "Lets talk about Trump" the brains of Trump self-identifying supporters "lawyer up" and put up walls and become like cognitive porcupines. And since the fruits of his faults have not fully ripened, most of them probably aren't willing to listen any way. The best thing you can do is stand on the sidelines and when things start going really bad, help them to draw their own conclusion that Trump action A lead to result B and help them learn from their mistakes.

That was where I was generally trying to lead you, but too much effort, and you think I'm being condescending by not coming straight at you like a Mack truck - or what I see as the absolute worst way to get people to change their minds.

I appreciate your good intentions, but I take issue with your approach.

19. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

You're really missing the point. The people you are insulting for being ignorant is largely a reflection on yourself, just on the opposite end of the spectrum. There was a time on these forums when interesting discussions happened. Now most are close minded and refuse to acknowledge someone else belief structure.

Its ok though. Much like everyone else here, Im sure you're nice and respectful in person.

For those who are easily offended, Happy Holidays.

20. Rox>Mavs

Whats funny is that I’m also a therapist. Been doing it for 13 years now and you’re right in the approach when you can sense resistance and need to connect awareness in the client in some other way.

where you’re off is that this thread doesn’t assume resistance on the issue of trump but commonality of devotion to Scripture above Politics. So because of that assumed alignment I can be direct about the question assuming I’m talking to a trump supporter in here than has a greater allegiance to Christ and Scripture.

but as well your approach doesn’t resemble that of a therapist if that’s what you were shooting for. The condescension creates a defensive and adversarial environment that rarely lends to discovery or deeper awareness. If that was your objective try asking more questions and seek understanding as though you’re speaking to someone that you genuinely want to understand without assuming anything.

As an aside google the stages of change model, it’s a helpful therapy tool but one that’s useful in general in terms of what you’re getting at. People don’t change until the discomfort of their situation outweighs the discomfort of changing. Being able to pinpoint where people fall in one of those stages helps to know how to engage them without frustrating yourself too much.