1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump 2016: Yes. We. Can.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Honey Bear, Aug 5, 2015.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

John Lewis insulted Trump and so Trump without any evidence or knowledge attacked John Lewis. He doesn't have the class of a president or the thick skin required.

Whether it be Meryl Streep (Overrated) or John Lewis, if you even mildly insist that he's doing a bad job or whatever it may be...Trump will attack. Usually, his go-to move is 'Overrated' but it doesn't matter who attacks him, he doesn't have the maturity to just let it be.

He could have easily said "It's unfortunate to hear that, I hope that in the future blah blah blah..." but he couldn't help himself.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes. He did once again lash out at what he felt was an attack and about something about which he feels very insecure.

I was wondering what is the one thing about John Lewis that made Trump assume his particular district was crime ridden and falling apart. Is there something about Lewis himself that made Trump jump to that inaccurate conclusion?

joshuaao likes this.
  3. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

That video is a bit disingenuous FB. John Lewis's district includes all of Atlanta, as well as the idyllic suburbs from the video. Atlanta does have significantly higher crime rates than the national average and does not compare favorably with major cities like New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, or even other regional cities like Charleston or Miami. I don't know that Trump did any research at all to come up with his attack, but it does seem his attack was not horribly inaccurate.

4. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

His district is mostly in Atlanta, but doesn't include all of Atlanta. It's not true to say that it does and then try and use all of Atlanta statistics to pretend that his district is crime-ridden.

It also includes the suburbs mentioned. So Trump's tweet was inaccurate and I'm curious why Trump assumed the Lewis' district was crime-ridden and run-down. That wasn't accurate of Trump. The report shown was satire aimed at Trump's ignorant statements.

5. TheresTheDagger

You do have a flair for irony BT.

6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

So just to confirm - you're trying to say that the portion of his district in Atlanta is not crime ridden?

7. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Parts of it are, and many parts aren't. I wouldn't say his district as a whole is crime-ridden and run-down like Trump did... Just to confirm.

8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

uh, indeed, to say the least. I've spent time living in Atlanta, and can confirm.

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Trump and exaggerated ignorant statements are synonyms. Sadly. I'm not putting so much on Lewis's being black as the reason for his crime ridden statement. I said it's more of him being an ignorant a$$. But his behavior is absolutely pathetic for the POTUS and just again show how thin skinned and ignorant he is.

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

So just to confirm: bigtexxx thinks it is wholly appropriate for the president elect to spend time making ad hominem attacks against the career of any member of Congress who dares criticize him, versus taking a more presidential approach to criticism or even responding within the parameters of a given topic.

Telling.

11. TheresTheDagger

Without supporting Trump's wrong headed approach here (and it is wrong), wouldn't it also be important to criticize Lewis for his own behavior? He did this same thing to GWB's inauguration as well back in 2000. It seems he refuses to acknowledge any President he doesn't support as "legitimate". There's plenty of blame to go around here.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Democrats will only admit it when Republicans do something that can be seen as wrong, they justify the action no matter what it is if it is a Democrat. That's just how it is and you are expecting too much if you expect that to change.

13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Its rich that you're defending the person behind the birther movement, an entire bullshit campaign predicated on delegitimizing the president. I'm no hypocrite, I don't agree with with Lewis, but Trump's response also shows how much of a dipshit he is. Trump is quite possibly one of the worst people to ever be born.

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The hardcore Trump supporters will support and make excuses for anything he says or does.

B-Bob likes this.
  15. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

So this how it always been.

Trump gets insulted
    Trump responds
    Media blames Trump

16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

And the fact that he is going to hold the most powerful office on the planet makes his thin-skinned ways significantly more relevant.

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He needs to grow up. This "but they started it" attitude is childish and unbecoming for a head of state.

18. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I can't find a map which superimposes the city limits of Atlanta with the border of the Georgia 5th CD, but if any portion of Atlanta is outside his district it would appear to be some tiny fraction of the extreme north end. At least 95% of Atlanta falls within his district. I know nothing about the dispersion of crime in Atlanta, but I would venture a guess that it is not significantly concentrated in whatever tiny portion of the city falls outside of his district. The overall Atlanta crime stats are likely not significantly different than those for that portion of Atlanta which fall within his district.
    I don't think even Trump said or implied that there were no nice areas within his congressional district. In fact, I wouldn't guess that is true of ANY congressional district. I think you are trying to parse a tweet to finely in your effort to attack Trump. Just from a cursory examination, it would appear this district is more crime ridden than average (significantly so).

A much more apt criticism would be that Congressman Lewis has little if any authority to do anything about the crime in his district. He isn't the county Sheriff, or the Chief of Police or Mayor of Atlanta, he is a US Congressperson. Why try to argue about the accuracy of Trumps description (which seems much more accurate than you or the video you posted are will to credit)? Isn't the mere fact that he is writing a tweet badmouthing a Congressman sufficient to ridicule him?

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I saw it as one moron attacking another moron and then the second moron attacked back. I'm not defending either, just pointing out how it's funny that we do see people feigning outrage over Trump's counter attack.

20. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Right, and the things such as education where Lewis does have a say so, like education, shows that his district is ahead of the national average.

But again Trump tried to paint the district as some kind of falling down war zone. That's not what it is. I'm asking why Trump would presume that John Lewis' particular district must fit into the caricature that he painted.

And again it is only slightly above the national average in crime rate. This list all of the stats involved.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...ump/trumps-john-lewis-crime-invested-atlanta/