1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump 2016: Yes. We. Can.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Honey Bear, Aug 5, 2015.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I made a factual statement, so I am not sure what your argument is with me. Dei said they do not pay taxes. That is not a factual statement. They do pay taxes on consumer goods. And some do pay payroll taxes. And some do pay into Social Security. And many don't pay payroll or SS taxes.

2. Major

Major Member

You do know that "we need to fix this" is not a proposal, right? Can you share, in your own words, how he intends to do any of this?

3. Dei

Dei Member

They do not pay taxes. They dodge certain taxes. That's a factual statement.

4. Major

Major Member

That's not a factual statement. They do pay taxes. Not all of them, but they do pay taxes.

5. Dei

Dei Member

Then they don't pay taxes.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Are you being deliberately dense or just trolling? Americans have many different taxes to pay. Saying "they don't pay taxes" is an out and out falsehood. Everyone pays taxes on consumer goods regardless of their legal status.

While many illegals don't pay payroll or SS taxes, some do. Saying they all don't pay taxes is a ridiculously wrong statement.

7. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

everyone doesn't pay taxes

8. Dei

Dei Member

A significant chunk of them don't that it suggest they're a net drain and definitely negatively impact GDP and wages.

"They don't pay taxes" can be read half-glass full (they don't pay any tax) or half-glass empty (they don't pay all the tax). Language has some ambiguity but the meaning should come across for anyone sufficiently aware of the context. For brevity's sake, I assumed you were.

"They (illegal immigrants) don't pay taxes" is a factual statement.

Every single citizen?

9. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

every single illegal immigrant?

10. Dei

Dei Member

I never said that. I said "they". You said "everyone".

11. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/03/politics/donald-trump-black-voters-detroit/index.html

Meanwhile... has anyone seen Hillary?

12. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

13. dmoneybangbang

Every Republican Candidate parlay's with black churches... Considering how his unfavorables are with blacks and Hispanics, it would be dumb not to do what he is doing.

Seen Hillary? No she is smart enough to allow Trump to keep talking, like his vague "hard-line immigration stance" that solidified the people that were already voting for him but didn't help him reach new voters.

This is chess not checkers. It's amusing to see Trump pandering while simultaneously saying how democrats pander.

14. dmoneybangbang

Except for consumption taxes and property taxes. Otherwise, your intentionally obtuse statement is factual. I mean.... you could actually list the taxes they do pay or vice versa and you wouldn't look silly but your way is good....

15. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I am not too concerned with the "they do" or "they don't" pay taxes issue. I was merely explaining the economic motivation of certain immigrants. $1000 in the US is not the same as $1000 in Guatemala. I guess my main concern is wage-depression and worker dispersal.

If you want to talk about tax avoidance, then take a look at what is happening to Apple in the EU. They are being forced to pay nearly $14 billion that Ireland does not want them to pay. By extension, I'm thinking that Apple similarly avoids US taxes as well.

Are we going to blame Apple's tax avoidance for any of the San Francisco area's economically less-fortunate current circumstances?

Back to illegal immigration. Certainly the companies receive a benefit from illegal immigration: a greater supply of labor. This increase in labor supply takes bargaining power away from existing workers - particularly power to bargain for higher wages, increased benefits, and better working conditions.

#7655 Cohete Rojo, Sep 3, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  16. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

Yeah, that's totally working well for her

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/elections/

17. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

18. dmoneybangbang

19. Major

Major Member

Yes, they ALL pay taxes. They just don't pay all the taxes. This isn't complicated stuff.

Study after study shows the opposite.

20. Dei

Dei Member

Then they don't pay taxes. It's a factual statement. Shove it up your ass.

Actually, it's varying. I just gave you one that says the opposite.