1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TrueHoops] Lin may not thrive in Houston like he did in New York

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GreatOne1978, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kwame-esque famous last words.

Shane Batter says hi.

2. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

You just proved my point. There are two ways to shoot jumpers off the dribble. Either you shoot a 3 pointer or a midrange jumper.

Pay close attention here, since you may not have gotten to averages in your arithmetic class yet. Given that A) he shoots 32% on 3s, B) the only other way to shoot a jumper off the dribble is a midrange jumper, and C) he is 3rd in the league in jumpers off the dribble, it means that he has a high percentage on midrange jumpers off the dribble.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

he's definitely going to be under the microscope if he starts for the Rockets.
    For the Rocket fans (only) , i'm sure we're going to see how well he plays for McHale vs Dragic and Lowry.

We'll welcome the guy, but man that's a crazy contract, he's got high expectations.

4. solid

solid Contributing Member

Do you think Morey and Les really wanted him (mainly for marketing reasons, they had him at little cost as a basketball player and let him walk) or was it some kind of strategy in pursuit of Howard? This one doesn't make sense to me. Which is more stupid, letting him walk or overpaying to get him back? Or both?

5. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

My question is not if he will thrive if he comes here but can he make his teamates better? He looked good, his stats look goodwhile he was playing for the Knicks but you also saw alot of standing around from his teamates.

6. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

Agreed. This is the first thing I thought when I read the OP.

Also, who is to say that the coach doesn't run an offense utilizing the new players rather than running an old system designed for a different team?

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I think Morey honestly thought that NYK was going to match no matter what. Now we're stuck with an overpaid contract.
    Happy that he's on the Rockets but not happy that this prevents us from ever potentially landing Chris Paul if we get Dwight.

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

He's not a natural playmaker. He only knows one way, that's straight ahead. He would be better suited to 6th man role like Ben Gordon or Jason Terry.

9. sfayner

sfayner Member

I think Morey knew EXACTLY what he was doing. When he heard that NY was going to match, he changed the offer so that they wouldn't match. I'm sure he feels that having another star asian player will be profitalble for the organization. In addition, we don't have any other starting point guard.

10. solid

solid Contributing Member

We are definitely in "fruit basket turnover" mode: I don't ever recall more pure chaos in Rocketland. By November the Rockets could be a contender, a pretender, or the worst team in basketball.

11. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

and so if we got as iso player, wouldnt we run more iso plays???
    whoever wrote this article is a dumbass lol.

12. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Lin is great in the Pick and Roll, which is what Mchale loves. Also, Clyde will finally be able to call out the play!!

13. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

wow i just realized you're right lol. who knows where we will be in the playoff standings come april. in one scenario, we're a top 3 team. in another we're a 4-8 team. in another we're right back at mediocrity with the 9/10. or all hell will break loose and we're a bottom 10 team in the NBA. who know's where we're going to end up lol.
    i personally think the most likely scenario will be a bottom 10 team.

14. DasouthDakota

DasouthDakota Rookie

Why couldn't we just overpay for Dragic?

15. nathan3l3

nathan3l3 Member

Lin may not put up the same numbers during the Linsanity days, but he's better off in a team-oriented system, unlike NY, especially when Melo returned. That was the main reason why D'Antoni was fired (Melo didn't play within the system) Maybe if Morey hires D'Antoni as assistant to help mentor Lin. But right now, I'd have to say that Morey's job is on the line with this contract. It's a bad contract right now, unless Lin becomes the next Steve Nash. I mean none of the big three in Miami made more than $15 mil last season. Did they?

16. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

Because Goran doesn't bring in the dollars, and has no chance at attracting star free agents.

17. Nash

Nash Member

I'd bet that the asian connection and prior inroads made in that market by Yao has to be at least part of it

18. ThisIsOurCity

ThisIsOurCity Member

I see no reason that he wont put up comparable number to what Dragic and Lowry put up here.

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Water under the bridge, but a valid question.

Answer?

Morey hates to lose and un-did the allowing of Lin to walk.

Lin will make $$$$$$ for Les. This stinks; Goran is better---but I'm okay with Lin if he stays healthy.

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The man will do the work. The man will bring (the promise of) relevance. My question remains will his body hold up with starter minutes 6-8 months/year (on year on etc). I truly hope it does (even if he is retained by the Knixies) but his body of work is just so limited.