1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

True or False: Deadly mutation in the heart of Islam

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by downbytheriver, Jan 7, 2015.

?

Is terrorism an Islamic thing?

1. Yes

21 vote(s)
    43.8%
  2. No

27 vote(s)
    56.3%
  1. downbytheriver

http://www.wsj.com/articles/BL-SEB-85848

We've been going in circles for decades.

Terrorism is bad.

Killing is bad.

Yet, they both seem linked to Islam at it's very root. The ideology based on scriptures that honestly want all non believers to burn in hell. When will moderates come forward to protect the freedom of their religion? Does the Koran need to be rewritten?

2. g1184

g1184 Member

"Is terrorism an Islamic thing?" ... your last thread was a gem, this one shows just as much promise.

3. downbytheriver

Deflect

Deflect

Deflect

Typical response from a supposed moderate harboring resentment for the West. Looked in the mirror lately?

4. Buck Turgidson

5. downbytheriver

This religious totalitarianism has caused a deadly mutation in the heart of Islam and we see the tragic consequences in Paris today.*-S. Rushie

Until islam is dissected and cut open, we will be dealing with unsubstantiated terrorism for the next 5 centuries. It represents every thing about the dark ages we hated.

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

No, your thread is stupid.

7. downbytheriver

8. CometsWin

9. downbytheriver

Yet 75% of poll takers agree with me, and you and your buddies can't do much more than make snarky comments and leave threads. It's the same trolls -- i.e. Buck T, never attempting to make an argument. Why post on a message board then? It's a problem, we're all affected by it, and when every incident is linked to Islam we need to start pressuring moderates or it's going to turn into WWIII

10. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

They may seem that way to people who have a deep seated prejudice against Islam, but if you actually look at the scriptures to which you refer, it seems very analogous to some pretty egregiously bad things that the Bible says is A-OK.

You seem to be listening to the same twisted interpretations of the Koran that the terrorists are. Good to know that y'all are on the same page.

They do, every time there is an attack, only to be ignored by the ignorant.

Does the Bible?

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Bill Maher's transcript:

JIMMY KIMMEL, HOST: A terrible thing happened today in Paris.

BILL MAHER: Yes. Tell them.

KIMMEL: People were killed. I know a lot of people are on vacation so maybe they don't know what's going on.

MAHER: You're the host so you have to tell them the bad news.

KIMMEL: The bad news is cartoonists, journalists, some other people, a police officer were killed in Paris.

MAHER: This was really big *****.

KIMMEL: Yes, especially in our business in particular. Especially in your business in particular.

MAHER: Right. And we have to not avoid who did this. Who did this, Jimmy?

KIMMEL: Well, we presume, and I think it's safe --

MAHER: No, no, it's not a presume. No, no. It's Muslim terrorists.

KIMMEL: Yes, Muslim terrorists.

MAHER: This happens way too frequently. It's like Groundhog Day, except if the Groundhog kept getting his head cut off. And let's also give some credit to this newspaper. This was a satirical newspaper in Paris. These guys have the balls of the Eiffel Tower. Their balls were bigger than GĂ©rard Depardieu, because they kept doing it.

KIMMEL:They were firebombed, their offices were firebombed.

MAHER: Absolutely.

KIMMEL: They continued. The editor said he would rather die than change with his right to free speech.

MAHER: For the crime of being satirists, for the crime of drawing cartoons. This has to stop, and unfortunately, a lot of the liberals, who are my tribe, I am a proud liberal

KIMMEL: He's about to turn on you, so.

MAHER: No, I'm not turning on them, I'm asking them to turn toward the truth as I have been for quite a while. I'm the liberal in this debate. I'm for free speech. To be a liberal, you have to stand up for liberal principles. It's not my fault that the part of the world that is most against liberal principles is the Muslim part of the world.

There have been studies. We have facts on this. Treatment of women. They studied 130 different countries. 17 of the bottom 20 were Muslim countries. In 10 Muslim countries, you can get the death penalty just for being gay. They chop heads off in the square in Mecca. Well, Mecca is their Vatican City. If they were chopping the heads off of Catholic gay people, wouldn't there be a bigger outcry among liberals? I'd ask you.

So to bring it home to us, because we are are satirists, and I'm a satirist who deals with this subject particularly, it's kind of scary, that some people say you cannot make a joke. That's off-limits. We saw this with Kim Jong-un...

We have to stop saying when something like this that happened in Paris today, we have to stop saying, well, we should not insult a great religion. First of all, there are no great religions. They're all stupid and dangerous. And we should insult them and we should be able to insult whatever we want. That is what free speech is like.

There are certain people in the world who want wafers on free speech. Kim Jong-un in North Korea says you cannot make jokes about our country, and there's a lot of Muslim people in the world. I know most Muslim people would not have carried out an attack like this. But here's the important point. Hundreds of millions of them support an attack like this. They applaud an attack like this. What they say is, we don't approve of violence, but you know what, when you make fun of the prophet, all bets are off.

KIMMEL: You really think hundreds of millions of Muslim support this?

MAHER: Absolutely. That is main stream in the Muslim world that when you make fun of the prophet, all bets are off. You get what's coming to you. It's also main stream that if you leave the religion you get what's coming to you, which is death. Not in every Muslim country in majority numbers, but this is a problem in the world that we have to stand up to.

And again, I'm the liberal in this debate. I was brought up in a liberal family. The reason we were liberals is because we were against oppression. I was a little kid when my father told us, we're with Kennedy and against the Southern Governors who stand in the doorways and don't let black kids go to school. And all my life I've been for people who have been the downtrodden, the oppressed, the minorities. I've been for blacks, gays, women, Mexicans, the bully, whoever it is.

-----------------

People like ignorant, uneducated "GladiatoRowdy" could learn a lot from Maher.

12. trustme

trustme Member

LOL Maher is a known Islamophobe. Just like you. No one takes him serious, anyway. Poor guy is just trying to stay relevant.

I have no idea where this idea of "Muslims never speak out against terrorism/stay reserved/etc" comes from. Muslims are always condemning such attacks, especially the community leaders. They are always speaking out about it, but the BBS resident Muslim haters like ATW, downbytheriver, etc. will continue to choose to ignore this.

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

He is certainly a lot more relevant than you. And your misnomer "Islamophobe" is just another attempt by an Islamist at stifling free speech and discussion. Just like your fellow Islamists from Muslim associations in France tried to shut up Charlie Hebdo. Guess what - Charlie Hebdo will continue to exist. And you will not shut up Bill Maher or people like me, as much as you would like to do that.

It's lip service. The Muslim associations in France tried to silence Charlie Hebdo for years. Now someone has done the dirty work for them and they pretend that they are sad about the outcome. Two-faced taquiyah, just like what you have been doing on this forum for years.

1 person likes this.
  14. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

You do realize that it is possible for an organization to be critical of Hebdo's commentary and also abhor the violence perpetrated by terrorists, right?

When did you develop the ESP necessary to conclusively determine that these organization's condemnations of violence are "lip service"?

15. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

It seems like there are an awful lot of Muslims condoning these actions as well. Who cares if the condemning Muslims say a damn thing if they aren't going to do anything to help straighten out the continued violence carried out in the name of the religion they so intensely follow and believe to be one of peace.

16. CometsWin

The issue isn't that you're making an argument, it's that it's a stupid argument. You've devolved a situation that has complex causes into simplistic bull****. You can't attempt to solve the issue of Islamic extremism without addressing the root causes. You're not really interested in doing that however. You're on the typical 'murica nonsense that caused us to get into really stupid wars that cost hundreds of thousands of lives and billions of dollars. There does need to be an Islamic reformation but the Christian reformation lasted over a hundred years and had bloody wars before it was over so I think you have some silly expectations.

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Interesting. You write chapter 1, I'll write chapter 2, and maybe we can get something going.

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

The main root cause is Islam itself.

19. bongman

bongman Member

Rewrite the Koran? Spoken like a true revisionist.

Condemn even he moderates for not speaking out because people are also guilty due to their brothers sins? What a great concept.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

They are probably more than a little worried about the reception they'd get if a bunch of Muslims congregate together on the streets of Europe. Moderate Muslims can't win here -- they'd get rebuked by conservative Muslims for being too Western and they'll be rebuked by Westerners for not being Western enough. The point of terror strikes like this one is to polarize the political climate and eliminate the moderate position -- with us or against us, and that sort of thing.