1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

True measuring stick - How we are doing against winning teams

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Jan 6, 2015.

1. basketballholic

John Wall, Bradley Beal, Trevor Ariza.......

James Harden, Trevor Ariza, Pat Beverley.....

See the difference?

If we want Ariza to get his efficiency back...he's got to become the 3rd perimeter option...not the second.

2. Play07

Play07 Member

yeah can we picture delfino at the 3 getting all those ariza 3s?

but I thought about that squad last night, I remember we BLEW out the bulls at home and on x-mas, that team was a 8th seed but they use to never let up on the gas when they would get up mainly fastbreak points & 3s.

that roster really FIT morey ball. needed to add a few more players, chemistry was there.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Very reasonable assertion. I too believe we need to upgrade the PG spot.

However, that's not an excuse for Trevor Ariza. He's having the worst real season of his career (dismissing the two when he was 19 and 20 as a bench player.)

4. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Guys don't even bother closing out on Ariza anymore. His "slump" is bordering on outlasting Garcia's from last season, and that's saying a lot.

5. justtxyank

2014-15 Ariza is a worse offensive player than 2013-14 Garcia. It's that bad.

If you look at ORtg, Garcia wins 108 to 100.

If you look at shooting percentages, Garcia wins in every category except free throws.

Ariza is having the worst shooting season I've ever seen personally. It's to the point that I don't even expect him to do better than like 3 of 11 shooting on a nightly basis.

I'm at the point where I'd be fine if they benched him.

6. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Last year we played our best basketball after the all star game..

I'm guessing the closer we get to playoffs the better the team will gel and things will be different

I still don't understand why Canaan isn't utilized more or why DMo isn't fed as much as Howard below the rim

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

At least his contract shrinks each year!

8. KlutchQT

Yikes. I wouldn't mind benching him either, tbh. I wonder how bad he has to get before they decide his defense isn't worth the tradeoff.

9. justtxyank

Well McHale has said he doesn't care if Ariza misses every shot in some post game interviews so my guess is that he will never get benched.

Sadly, he's either going to have to shoot better or get traded. If neither of those happen I have no doubt that McHale will run him out there 30+ minutes a night regardless of how bad he shoots the ball.

10. da_juice

da_juice Member

Yikes.

McHale reminds me of Van Gundy. Favors defense over offense and his whole offensive scheme is built on our two stars.

I am not feeling good at all for this season. SMH only Houston could go from being a no-defense, all offense team to a no-offense all defense.

1 person likes this.
  11. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

Ariza has been bad on offense

but his defense has been AMAZING yes AMAZING

12. FoOLiSh_AzN

FoOLiSh_AzN Member

I wouldn't mind trying Corey Brewer at the 3. Brewer plays just as good defense and seem to hustle more than Ariza.

13. conquistador#11

30 games in, i feel like we've been playing 1000 games. post season can't get here soon enough. i'm excited to see what adjustments mchale will make come playoff time. will demo get more than 1 minute. knowing our luck, we will draw portland again. i just hope the phrase 'coin flip' series does not come out of anybody's mouth.

14. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Regarding Howard, that's easy, it's ego. If you think he sulks and takes plays off now, imagine when he begins to pout about DMo getting more touches than him in the post. Which DMo rightly deserves...

If it weren't for his D and 3 steals per game, I'd be with you, what a shame after his hot start too... I do wonder how Brewer would look with the starters though and then have a bench of Josh Smith, Papa, Ariza, Terry, and Canaan?

15. justtxyank

At some point one starts to negate the other though.

It wouldn't be so bad if he wasn't taking any shots, but at 12 shots a game he's taking too many for it not to matter.

If you miss 8-10 shots a night, with many of them being threes, that's the equivalent of 8-10 turnovers. His defense can't just make that not matter.

They can't let him jack up 12 shots a night anymore if he isn't to hit them at a respectable rate.

16. basketballholic

I wouldn't mind starting Brewer at the 3. But I would be shocked if it actually happened right now before the deadline. Such a move would totally crater Ariza's trade value.

17. KlutchQT

I definitely don't think Brewer is as good a defender, but I'm starting to think the drop off might be worth it. I don't know, Ariza is just so terrible lol.

18. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

So this has nothing to do with this thread, but something just happened with a yardstick that I thought was funny. I went to Texas, my boss went to Arkansas. Someone brought us a yard stick...dont ask....he comes out and says hey look, lays down the yard stick, then flips it over to make 2 yards, and says that's how many yards Texas got! lol -- I laughed

19. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

Our overall team D has been horrible lately so Im not so sure there will be much of a dropoff lol

20. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Easy to say that looking back and knowing we aren't getting Bosh. Bosh would have been a great fit to this team next to Dwight. Would have certainly made us the favorites. In the end, Bosh decided against it and we had to make a decision -- either give up all flexibility and run with the current team, or let him walk and build without him.

Now had they known Bosh wouldn't sign, yah, totally go early and hard for Lowry and resign Parsons.