1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

True measuring stick - How we are doing against winning teams

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Jan 6, 2015.

1. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

If i wasnt a Rockets fan i would HATE to watch us play. Just not a fun team to watch at all.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

First round fodder. AGAIN.

3. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Wait... Is this the general sentiment around here? Because this isn't what I see from this team at all. I think they're about to uptick in a major way.

4. bmd

bmd Member

Agreed. They lost to Chicago last night but they still looked good I thought. Just got beat in a tough game against a good team on the road.

They continue to improve since the trades. They'll get it in gear.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Rockets are in a weird position that I think the season data really isn't representative of the true talent level of the Rockets based on injuries and player transactions. Jones is still out and Canaan supposedly is just getting to 100%, but the recent data hasn't looked good.

6. Vienna Calling

Right now we are just too flawed offensively. If we do not add another piece or develop a better system on the offensive end we are very unlikely to win a playoff series this season.

7. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

We are 4-6 in our last 10. I wish we are about to go on a run but nothing in the last 10 games suggests we would. Our defense has been aweful for about 15 games.

8. bmd

bmd Member

The offense has looked better the past two games. Ariza has been driving a little more, Papanikolaou has been getting minutes and creating a bit on offense, and even Josh Smith has been taking it in strong to the hole.

They have made it a point to get more easy buckets, and they've done it and it's working.

9. basketballholic

Agreed. We looked good until closing time. And then we looked bad.

But we're simply playing with fire. That's all. Last night we stayed close and got by with Smith jacking up 20 shots. The truth of the matter is if he reverts back to his median we're not even in the game the last quarter. He just happened to have one of those games where the shots went down for him. And he got enough steals and offensive boards to offset his turnovers and make him a plus on the court for us.

But that's an exception and we are playing with fire if we think our half-court offense is going to work against playoff teams doing what we did last night. It won't. We were lucky to be close until the end.

10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Turns out Francisco Garcia was the secret key to success. Should have given him a max contract.

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I've repeated this for a few years now. The Rockets need an elite shooter. They don't have one and it hurts them seriously when they play good teams and they get scrubby shooting performances.

We have major problems on offense despite the current mantra here that who cares what someone shoots.

12. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I think we're destined for another first round exit if they continue playing the way they are right now. Our offense is ass -- that's nothing new. But the really cool thing about this team early in the season is that they could lean on their defense when shots weren't falling. Now our defense looks shoddy too. Too many games have looked like layup drills, and it seems like we can no longer get those desperation stops when we need them. I think it's possible they turn it around, but we've been struggling for the better part of a month.

13. bmd

bmd Member

What do you mean "doing what we did last night"?

They were getting lots of good looks. The Rockets had 62 points in the paint... a season high.

They weren't chucking from deep.

14. bmd

bmd Member

One thing I've noticed is that they aren't contesting shots like they were earlier in the season. Earlier in the season they put more effort in making sure they made guys uncomfortable getting a shot off.

And Josh Smith doesn't even put a hand up when his guy shoots a jumper, even if he's standing right in front of him. I have no idea what that mess is about...

15. Nook

Nook Member

This is what they will be viewed as and should be viewed as, until they make a tangible improvement by winning 57-58 games or winning a playoff round and forcing a game 7 in round 2.

16. basketballholic

at the end.............they chucked and they choked.

17. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

I agree our defense is subpar lately, but are we sure our offense is still bad? I just looked quickly at December and the numbers looked pretty good

18. finsraider

finsraider Member

Great post.

Shooting has become a huge issue, and it all comes down to personnel. We've got DMo/Smith trying to be stretch 4s, but the bigger issue is Ariza/Bev trying to be creators.

The Spurs have managed to carve out a good offense with Splitter and Duncan on the floor together. I don't see any reason why DMo/Smith, DMo/Howard, or Smith/Howard can't work against the right matchups, but we still need a "stretch 4" option. People seem to have laughed off my Channing Frye suggestion, but I really believe he would be a great fit on this team (especially if we got Dragic). He's signed to almost the exact same contract as Ariza, can shoot the ball, and plays good low post/PnR defense. He would give us a formidable and diverse front line.

But the real problem is that Ariza/Bev are your secondary creators. You can live with one, but not both in the starting lineup. One has to be respected as a creator, shooter, and slasher. We need Dragic.

I think there's a chance that Capela or TJones, Bev or Canaan, NOP 1st, NYK 2nd, Terry, Shved, and Papanikolaou can get you Dragic and Frye.

Dragic / Bev
    Harden / Brewer
    Ariza / Brewer
    DMo / Frye
    Howard / Smith

That strengthens your depth, shooting, and ball movement. The cost is that you have to figure out what to do next summer with Dragic, Brewer, and Smith being free agents, and you sacrifice future assets like the NOP pick and Capela, but THE TIME TO WIN IS NOW.

19. Nook

Nook Member

I agree 100%.

The Rockets need someone that will hit 40% on 3's and 50% on 2's.

For a team so dependent on the 3 point shot, the Rockets are full of mediocre 3 point shooters. We have no one inside that can stretch the defense. Ariza has been bad so far...... Harden is a volume 3 point shooter but his % isn't sterling. Patrick Beverley has hit 40% on 3's but he simply has been terrible on 2's.

Goran Dragic would help the issue, he can shoot 2's and 3's.

20. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

The defense looked absolutely suffocating at times earlier this season. Lately it seems like we dare all of the wrong guys to shoot (like seriously, how many times was there no one within like 10 feet of Gasol last night), and guys don't think twice about going right to the rim. I don't know if teams are accounting for the fact that Dwight is likely not 100% and just saying eff it, attack the basket -- but you watch so many of the games we've lost lately and it's the opponent going in for layup after layup after layup, while we chuck away from 3 on the other end. Unless you're red-hot from 3 for several games in a row, that's a really good way to lose a playoff series.

It did seem like they made a more concerted effort to get inside last night (Bev in particular), so maybe we see more of that. I dunno, I just don't feel overly optimistic right now.