1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Truck driver roll call

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bigdaddy, Feb 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Are you expected to sleep in the truck at times, or do they budget and/reimburse for lodging? Is there A/C or heating you can run in the truck with the engine off?

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

bigdaddy is bringing his load to Houston on Monday!

Women folk might consider evacuating Katy.

1 person likes this.
  3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Some trucks are rigged up with heat and a/c that work with the truck off. Mine is not, so when needed I idle the truck. I will idle when it drops into the 20's or above 75. If I'm going to be sitting for a couple days, I'll get a hotel otherwise I stay in the truck.

4. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

How do you handle security around the fact that you sleep in your truck? Just curious if there are safe areas that are protected for truckers to sleep in their truck, or something else you have to do at times to make sure you're not robbed or anything while sleeping.

5. bigdaddy

Supporting Member

Truck stops and rest areas are somewhat secure, safe parking is a concern for all drivers, parking in general is a big issue in the industry. There is security in numbers , but like in everyday society, things do happen. I have a big mag flash light that I have and a tire thumper , other than that you just hope for the best.

6. bigdaddy

Supporting Member

Some drivers are installing cameras and that can be beneficial, it also helps to defend yourself in an accident

7. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Damn, that sounds a little unsettling.

What about the stereotype that a lot of truckers are frequently amped up on meth? True? Are drugs readily available at most truck stops, or is that just bs?

8. astros123

astros123 Member

Was looking to open a trucking company but man thats hard money nowadays. With the introduction of load boards and bs its hard as hell

9. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

How much do truck drivers earn?

10. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Sd5ZLJWQmss" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. likestohypeguy

Are you vocally communicating with other truck drivers when you go side by side, blocking both lanes of hwy 288, or just see the opportunity and you both know what to do, or generally just uncoordinated coincidences?

2 people like this.
  12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

likestohypeguy is now on the block list of all truckers on 288. You guys should be more respectful in this thread.

13. bigdaddy

Supporting Member

36-72 thousand is the common range.
    You can find instances where you could make quite a bit more, but that is becoming less.

14. bigdaddy

Supporting Member

Truckers use to be in fairly constant communication and that would happen to PR***s that needed a lesson. Is that what you wanted to hear? There are a**wipes in all aspects of life, but generally this riding side by side happens because most trucks are governed and can only go as fast as they are governed. When you have a truck set at 63 and a truck set at 64, well you have what we call a drag race happening. This is as frustrating to other trucks as well, because this causes backups for us too. I can assure you that this happens nation wide, not just on 288. I promise you if I'm southbound on 288 I'm not riding side by side with anyone. I'm gouging on it going to the house.

15. bigdaddy

Supporting Member

That's all it is ,just a stereotype, we are closely watched and tested. When I started you could easily find speed. I haven't heard or seen anything in years. Drivers are not able to drive the long hours they use to drive, enforcement of the laws has amped up over the past several years. They have started using electronic log books,which are connected directly to the computer on your truck. This keeps drivers from doing more than the law allows and now drivers don't need the speed. Of course you will always have people who are going to be using drugs no matter the circumstance but these people are being caught and losing their license more often. I would say you have more drivers amped up on Monster drinks and coffee.

Invisible Fan and davidio840 like this.
  16. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

That makes perfectly good sense to me. I appreciate you sharing this knowledge with us. I never had a clue these trucks were governed like they are.

17. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Is everything paid on a per route basis, is the amount based on miles driven, load size, with certain tiers based on the type of cargo? Are they pretty quick about payment or does it come a month or two afterwards?

18. bigdaddy

Supporting Member

Most drivers are paid on a mileage basis, there are drivers paid on a percentage basis and yes the pay varies according to what you are hauling. Oversize, haz mat, tanker are a few types of freight that generally pay more. Extra pay for detention and layover for loads cancelling are added on at times. Generally you are paid within two weeks, depends on who you are driving for. I get paid 90% of the load and I get paid within 72 hours of delivery. I own my own truck, find, negotiate and book all of my loads, I then pay my wife and she lets me have a little pocket money.

19. bigdaddy

Supporting Member

I use load boards daily and I agree with you, it has become harder money. What type of trucking are you looking into and where are you based out of

20. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

One of the more unexpectedly educational threads in a while. I don't know why, but this is fascination to me. Rep to the OP.