1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tru Blood (Premier)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DUCK2324, Sep 8, 2008.

Tags:
  1. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

deckard's post reminded me to post some thoughts.

i liked the second episode more than the first one, and the third looks promising. little sookie might get bitten.

2. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

the second episode was a lot better than the first but i guess its the natural progression of the story line....

looking forward to sunday's episode but i think bill (sorry this seems like a really lame name for a vampire) will save her in time.

3. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

About Bill's name, that's the point. That vampires are always so "exotic", but in this world they are common... much like his name.

You should meet Eric soon, he's another vampire and more a "typical" vamp.

I heard that it was already renewed for a second season.

4. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

the t&a got me hooked, I'll watch some more

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The 1st episode seemed like stereotypical character central
    not very appealing

I have not seen the second episode yet

Rocket River

6. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

The wife and I were hooked after the first episode.

*shrug*

7. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

The first one was a little cheesy, but it was worth watching, i need to download the others to my laptop at work and watch them on battery power at home.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Did you catch the gossip rag in the last episode? Patterned after the National Enquirer (I think it was call the "National Inquiry"), the paper was handed from one cast member to another during a scene. The headline?

"Angelina adopts Vampire Baby!!!" Photos and everything! :D

9. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

last night episode was a bit bland...Bill claims sookie which was pretty obvious. not much really cept some T&A from the girl from the bar which was nice and the masturbation scenes from sookie.

it could have been headed somewhere but dunno why if someone is "elder" to someone else as a vampire they would have authority and apparently there is an Eric who is a boss and a lady thats above him.

the previews for the upcoming week(s) looked good though.

hopefully less episodes like this past one in the future.

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

So is her brother like a werewolf or something?

Whats up with the dog?

11. Hayesfan

Foreshadowing

An elder vampire is more powerful.. you should see some of that in the next episode when they go to Fangtasia in Shreveport.

Bill actually has more "authority" than Malcolm but at this point you wouldn't know that. They hinted about why with the talk of Eric and the unknown "she", but it should be spelled out later in the series.

I would expect that things will pick up when we meet Eric and Pam and the entourage at Fangtasia, there is a couple more things you have to get to in the whole Bill/Sookie getting to know each other sequences. After that there should be less boring stuff and more action.

Edit: its really cool to watch this unfold while knowing the book sequences. They are really sticking to the story and characters for the most part and there are small nods to those who read the series if you notice them.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

How many books are there?
    all titled True Blood?

Rocket River

13. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

The books are the Southern Vampire Mysteries.

14. Hayesfan

Yeah there have been eight books released so far and there are six or seven short stories within anthologies.

Here's the author's list in chronological order I believe.

http://www.charlaineharris.com/bibliography/bibliog-sookie.html (edit: this list is missing the most recent book... From Dead to Worse... but if you start at the bottom that's the oldest and the most recent is at the top)

You don't NEED to read the anthologies, but there are some cute moments in them.

Here's the books on amazon in order. http://www.amazon.com/gp/series/785/ref=rcx_ser_ed_0

15. coma

coma Contributing Member

I'm having a hard time connecting with this series.

I have a pretty strong image of the vampire, mainly from the Anne Rice series. The vampires introduced so far are pretty cheesy compared to Lestat, Armand, Akasha, etc..

There's very little mystique or elegance to them in this show.

Perhaps there's just little focus on the vampire, rather than just the surface interaction between them and the mortals and trying to fit in.

16. Hayesfan

If you are a traditionalist in the way you perceive a vampire character to be, I can understand where you are struggling.

The idea was to take away that mystique and elegance to a certain extent and play with what would happen if they were "mainstream".

The cool thing about the book series (which in turn was passed on to the series) is the idea that she was fiddling with the preconceived notion that vampires are exotic and evil to make it so that they are "just like us" and there are good and bad vamps just like there are good and bad humans.

The Fellowship of the Sun (which we heard that the leader and his family was killed) will show a bit more of that later in the series - I hope.

I am curious what you thought of Malcolm and his cronies (Liam and Diane)? Did they feel more like the vampires you have identified with in the traditional sense?

I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but I think you will probably like Eric and some of the other vampires you will meet in upcoming episodes.

17. coma

coma Contributing Member

Those cronies are the vampires I have an issue with. That scene when they greeted Sookie at the door was grade A cheese. It's like they are trying too hard to be vampires.

I'm actually OK with Bill, as there's a grace to him. Albeit, he's not without his cheesiness.

I guess I need to look past the image of the graceful, educated and cultured vampire, ie. Lestat, Marius, etc..

One of the most intriguing aspects of the vampire is the hierarchy, and the elders. I look fwd to seeing more of that from the previews.

18. Hayesfan

Sookie ends up very involved with all of that eventually. I don't know how long it will take, but I do think you will enjoy Eric, if they portray him as he is in the books.

19. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

After the first three episodes, I'm hooked. I see Sam playing a prominent role later on. The way he was barking in his sleep leads me to believe hes a werewolf, or something close. The dog really has me wondering. There was a picture in Sam's office with the dog and what looked like a young Sookie. This is a good show.

20. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I'm liking the show so far. I had no idea it was based on a set of novels, I'm gonna start reading them.