1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Troy Williams has made Ariza obsolete

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by KingCheetah, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Milosch

Milosch Member

Too soon :(

snowconeman22 and bilaal14 like this.
  2. Milosch

Milosch Member

The thing about Ariza is that he is typically really good the first half of the season. Manage his minutes more and he might be able to maintain that a bit longer.

cbs1507, seeingred and Deckard like this.
  3. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

With Dekker probably out for the season I'd like to see them use Ariza AND Williams together. Ariza as the 4 has worked before, it can work again.

Bev-Gordon-Williams-Ariza-Capela should actually be a fairly decent defensive setup as well as having 4 shooters on the floor.

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Let's all cross our fingers that Troy Williams has improved his shooting. It would be incredible If he got his percentage up to 35 or so behind the three for a long stretch.

I hope he stays aggressive regardless. A big part of Sam's problem is that he has been incredibly gun shy. Gotta keep firing away with confidence.

5. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Does anyone have highlights of Troy Williams' debut against the Suns (6 threes)? Please post if possible.

Thanks

6. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

He's a rookie with potential, give the young guy some credit. Sometimes the league gets it wrong. Hopefully he can build on the big game and keep improving.

DonKnock likes this.
  7. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Does anyone have highlights of Troy Williams passing????

8. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

He had a good game but let's not jump to conclusions (Oh wait, this is Clutchfans).

hakeem94 and shadowsb23 like this.
  9. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

Morey be like...

[​IMG]

HTX Ninja and DonKnock like this.
  10. wise_man

wise_man Member

I liked what I saw, but it's just one game guys!:####

11. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

If I remember correctly both he and Sam hovered a little under 33%. Sam started out red hot though so I still believe in his potential to be a high 30% shooter from 3. I think the game, the minutes, the travel and all wore him down. He's a rookie. I'm still way buying Dekker's potential.

Williams has kind of been through the grinder already so like you said, hopefully he sees opportunity and grabs it. I don't think 6 3s a game is realistic but showing that kind of outburst in what is a big chance for you personally certainly speaks to his passion for the game. His form was nice and he seemed to flow within the offense quite well, even deferring a few times you wished he would've shot. He hustles on defense and has decent makeup to back up Ariza as the 3/D wing.

All this comparison to Dekker though, I really believe he's a stretch 4 more than anything. Going big with some spot minutes at 3 but his strength this year was out-running bigs. I don't think they play the same position.

snowconeman22 and DonKnock like this.
  12. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Also liked what I saw and his aggressiveness. I think he's developing and improving as a player. Granted it takes time for some players to develop. I think Dekker has definitely been given more opportunities than Williams to showcase his talent and at this point I think Williams confidence is way above Dekker's.

DonKnock likes this.
  13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah I agree. He just turned 22 a couple months ago, and he has a fantastic NBA build for a SF. He is known for hustling his ass off and being an extremely hard worker too, and he seems like a nice kid. I think it was pretty smart of him to turn down one of Dork Elvis's sneaky 3 year deals, because every team is looking for a 6-7 athlete that can knock down a three every now and again. If he can be Corey Brewer with a 33 percent three pointer, I will be extremely happy. As it is, I am extremely happy. We need athletes and knife-fighters next to James. I hope this Cat mixes it up in the games to come. Maybe those Memphis boys rubbed off on him.

14. shadowsb23

shadowsb23 Member

Check out the YouTube channel down to buck , they show highlights from the lesser known player

HTX Ninja likes this.
  15. j@amc

j@amc Member

Highlights from Troy's last game vs. the Iowa Energy (4-1-17). Pretty typical stuff for him. Super comfortable the right wing; more of a distributor from the left side of the court. His new-found range and shooting confidence really opens up his drive, and can he throw it down if he gets to the rim. Wow!

These are 2 minutes of March 2017 highlights. Sit back and enjoy. Can't wait to see him trailing the break as a PF and have one of these monster finishes. It's just a matter of time.

When you string together great plays like this, you might think all-star potential. Hard to not be over-eager with highlights. However, I've written about his weaknesses earlier. Troy is certainly a work in progress.

Vivi, DonKnock and Dankstronaut like this.
  16. dawesome

dawesome Member

He reminds me of Ray Allen with Otis Thorpe face :p

17. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Ariza is a quintessential 3/D wing. Plays smart, hustles, does a little bit of everything, glue guy type who has molded himself into a a worthy 3 pt shooter, career 35%. Williams seems to have the same set of tools to me. I think 35% is an attainable goal. What he has though that even Ariza lacks is handle. We all lovingly chide Ariza's wonky, herking jerking drives but Williams has a smoothness off the dribble and even a basic instinct in setting others up for baskets. I'd love to see him progress for the next few years in a ROckets uni

18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

almost all of his 3s are swishes it rarely ever grazes the rim... also its very useful and cool that he has a long hang time...

DonKnock likes this.
  19. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

He is what Kj mcdaniels could have been if he could shoot the three, maybe with a little better handle. Guy could be big for us in the playoffs!

DonKnock likes this.
  20. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Troy starting again tonight, maybe he really has made Ariza obsolete:eek:

:D

bilaal14 likes this.