1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Troy Daniels?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by callmened, Sep 23, 2014.

1. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

along with some defense, sthat's all i want from him

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

he reminds me of Shane Battier

3. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Off topic, but will Nick Johnson actually be part of the rotation this year?

Wow, that's something I just learned.

4. Rox23

Rox23 Member

More like Wayne Ellington. Correction...not quite Wayne Ellington, not yet. However he has Wayne type potential...

5. djperm

djperm Contributing Member

cmon troy dont just be a sharpshooter... besides it will help u get paid in full ;)

6. callmened

callmened Member

To the person who said shooting 3s is all about a quick release..i respectfully disagree. As long as a player is hitting 3s ...They're extremely valuable. What gets lost here in nyc during lin sanity was "novacaine!"...Steve novak was burying 3s and that opened up the middle. Even when he was being guarded or used as a decoy, he had to be accounted for. So a quick release is nice, exciting but all I ask for is a long range threat. I think Daniels can provide that

7. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I apologize. He didnt play 4 years at college, or in the Dleague. He has only played spot minutes in the NBA last season :rolleyes:

8. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

If he is a 48% 3pt shooter I will happily (very happily) be wrong.

However he only cleared 40% once in 5 years of ball (4 at college and 1 in the Dleague). That was his senior year of college, where he hit 40.3%

I know he made 12 of his 25 attempts for the Rockets. I hope that continues!!!! But what I am saying is that I doubt it.

9. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

He a shooter man. I got high hopes for him next season. I can see him easily commanding the best defender on the team to guard him.

10. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

I'm sold on a hard-working, humble kid who's fruits of labor lead to a game winning shot in the playoffs. Just be glad we locked him up before Lebron got a hold of him... people usually flock to Lebron. He will be solid player in the league.

11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

:confused:

:confused:

If he is a shooter, then all you do is stand near him.
    Harden could almost manage it....

12. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

There's this thing called floor spacing. If the defense is so concerned about him hitting a 3 that they "stand near him" at all times, that will prevent them from double teaming Harden or Dwight. That's why it's good to have shooters. Even if they're not taking shots, they're providing space for superstars to work.

13. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

He shot 40.1% last year in the D-league on almost 13 attempts a game. Do you understand how hard that is with that volume? Elite shooters only do that.

14. aumate

aumate Member

Is that meant to be impressive? It's after all the D-league.

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Is the 3 point line shorter in the d-league?

16. finsraider

finsraider Member

If all Daniels does is force one defender to guard him right in his face, then he's doing his job. Why? Because then you're playing 4 on 4 and two of your 4 are Harden and Howard....both guys demand more than one defender.

Same for Ariza. If he gets the same respect as Daniels, then you are playing 3 on 3.

If you can get it down to 2 on 2, you win 90% of the time.

17. CertifiedTroll

It is interesting that so many players in this thread think negatively of Daniels. I created a poll asking about how people predicted his performance next season would pan out. The responses were mostly positive. This thread seems pretty negative. I would link that thread in here if I knew how.

18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah, volume is what is impressive here. Making 5 threes a game at 40% is ridiculous. Harden, for comparison, made 2.4 threes per game at 37%. (D-League to NBA, I know, but impressive all the same.)

With that said, I don't expect a whole heck of a lot from him this year. He's still a one-trick pony and is undersized and inexperienced.

19. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

IIRC, Daniels has a quick release and he's sneaky quick. If teams are having to game plan for him and ensure that he's blanketed at all times then that's a GREAT thing. Especially, when Dwight and Harden are on the floor with him. If Daniels is playing and not getting shots off, that means there's one less defender swarming James and Dwight. I wouldn't call that a waste.

20. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Troy daniels is offended he has not been offered a max contract yet .