1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trip to the USA

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by BasketballReasons, May 29, 2009.

1. BasketballReasons

Hey everyone! I'll be making a big trip this summer to the US and would like some info on places to go to and stuff like that.
    Basically I have been living in Belgium for the past 11 years. However I was born and raised in Houston and stayed there for 8 years. When I was in Houston, I rarely went in vacation in the US, I would usually go to Europe or i'd go to other places.
    I haven't been back to the US since 11 years.

This summer I will be making my "comeback" and am planning on doing a 4 week trip to visit some places I didn't get the change to when I lived there.
    I'll be leaving around the 25th June and will comeback around the 20-ish July.
    Unfortunately I don't think i'll be passing by Houston.

I'm starting my trip in New York of course. Then i'm going to ride through the country on the Route 66 to Los Angeles and finally we will go up to the Bay Area. We haven't decided yet if we are going to take a plane from San Francisco back to Belgium or if we are going to make the trip back with our car to NY. I'm making this trip with my dad.

What are some nice things to see in the major towns i'll be going to (NY, LA, SF, OKC, Arizona, etc). We are definitely going to see all the major touristic stuff. But i'm looking to see if anyone can tell me some more "untouristic" places that will show us the real color of each state.

I'd also like to attend some sport events. I know the baseball season will be at that time so i'm definitely going to see some games. But does anyone know if there is any Basketball, Football games? I know it isn't the season, but sometimes they make some games like last year when teams went to Europe. Maybe you know where I can go see some pick-up games/tournaments aswell like the one Artest did last summer.

Furthermore, where is the best place to go celebrate the 4th of July?
    [​IMG]

Thanks to everyone :)

2. arno_ed

arno_ed Member

Where do you live in Begium?

3. BasketballReasons

Suburb of Brussels. French Side :D

4. fadeaway

fadeaway Member

I did a similar trip last summer. Don't have time now, but I'll respond with some tips and wicked things to see after work today.

5. arno_ed

arno_ed Member

Oh cool, my inlaws have a holidayapartment in Houfalize.

What I was wondering, did you get Dutch in school, and is it compulsory? Sorry to derail the thread:D

6. DCkid

DCkid Member

Definitely try to stop in St. Louis and see a game.

7. BasketballReasons

lol Houfallize is the couuuntry side :D

I did get some Dutch in school, in my school you could choose between Dutch and German because I was in an international school. In regular school's you have to take Dutch most of the time.

8. arno_ed

arno_ed Member

Yeah it is beautiful, we love walking there for hours:D.

But we did notice that nobody spoke dutch (or didn't want to speak dutch). So we wondered if they did have dutch in School, thanks for the answer:D

9. ClutchCityReturns

For basketball, your best bet will be to try and catch some NBA summer league action in Las Vegas, Nevada. That shouldn't be too far out of your way.

It runs from July 10-19th and it's a good opportunity to get up close to some NBA players (even if they're just the younger, inexperienced guys) without spending a fortune.

They haven't updated the page for 2009 yet, but that should happen before you leave for your trip.

http://www.nba.com/summerleague2008/

10. Legend Killer

Legend Killer Member

Awesome. Enjoy your vacation and safe travels my friend.

11. wakkoman

wakkoman Member

Nice place. I also visited Ghent when we were in that area, and really enjoyed it there as well.

12. BasketballReasons

Most of the people in that region don't speak Dutch because they are "far" from the linguistic border and don't need to learn it because, well, there aren't many dutch speaking people over there. :D

Ghent is a very nice place. I also recommend visiting Brussels, Antwerp and Brugges for people that come to Belgium. Liege is also a very traditional place.

Oh yeah I completly forgot about that! Thanks! I will definitely go there and will make a thread about our Rockets that are in it!

13. BasketballReasons

I also just read that the 10 first lottery draft picks will attend the Summer league, which makes it more exciting! $25 a day is great!

14. K mf G

K mf G Member

monument national park if you like nature

15. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Member

If you are going to be in Vegas, consider a side trip to Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon. Google them, I think you will be impressed.

16. Landlord Landry

as by daughter likes to say......"can we have the belgium waffels today dad?"

17. BasketballReasons

That looks sick I will definitely try to stop by!!

18. weslinder

weslinder Member

Sounds like an awesome trip. Some suggestions, on or near Route 66:

Springfield, IL - Lincoln Home
    Springfield, MO - The Biggest Bass Pro Shop - It's a redneck sports paradise, and there's a really cool wildlife museum next door.
    Amarillo, TX - The Big Texan
    Santa Fe/Taos, NM - No real suggestions, just stay a couple of days and enjoy the street shows, art, Native American history, and natural beauty.
    Colorado Springs, CO - A little ways off your route, but worth the drive. Pikes Peak, Garden of the Gods, and Royal Gorge are all natural wonders nearby.
    Sedona, AZ - About 1 hour from Flagstaff. Called the most beautiful town in America for a reason. Try to go during the week, because half of Phoenix goes there every weekend. Stay in Oak Creek Canyon, if you can.
    Jerome, AZ - Really cool little town on the side of a mountain. Near Sedona. Not much to do, but should drive through and see it.
    Prescott, AZ - Another cool little town. Self-proclaimed "World's Oldest Rodeo", June 29-July 5.
    Zion NP, UT - Most beautiful place I've ever been. Bryce Canyon is not far, and unique.
    Las Vegas - NBA Summer League. If I'm not in Calgary (work), I think I'll be there for the weekend.

19. MattM

MattM Member

Don't waste your time in Oklahoma City

20. Microfridge

Microfridge Member

For LA, the beaches, Disneyland, and Universal Studios are probably the major attractions you'll want to go to.

Why not Texas? If you can't swing by Houston, you should def. check out Austin for the food, live music, and the nearby tubing down the Guadalupe river