1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Trip down memory lane] Our beloved owner, Leslie Alexander

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steddinotayto, May 19, 2016.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Les remind anyone else of Templeton?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8A0l-eBK9KE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

3. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I spent a ton of money getting the right pieces together. As I recall you were initially on the Dwight bandwagon that summer of 2013 and throughout the 2013-14 season. Saying a great positional defender that was also a great rebounder like Asik was worth shipping out in favor of Drama Queen Dwight because of all his physical merits. The only dumb thing, Les had control over, was the coaching situation. But it seems more and more Harden is limiting what a coach can do or say.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This post is more relevant than ever, it's almost John Lennon like in it's truthfulness and universal. truth.

5. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

**** Les, and **** anyone who wants him back.

Spacemoth and tinman like this.
  6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

That was a pretty badass post. Oh wait it was me lol

NotInMyHouse, Deckard and tinman like this.
  7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

i want Le$ Back. Give me the bullet in my leg over my nuts.

#67 LosPollosHermanos, Jul 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  8. tinman

Supporting Member

This thread should be a sticky one

too many newbs don't know anything about the Rockets

I don't even think they know where Houston is.

persian hoopa likes this.
  9. Rocketsfan3422

So what your saying is...tilman>Alexander. If only the members of this forum would believe that?

10. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Les never had a team worth going over the tax for other than 2018.

11. thekad

thekad Member

At this point you have to believe these Tilman defenders are actually related to him. It’s embarassing.

apollo33, MystikArkitect and J.R. like this.
  12. tinman

Supporting Member

Les fans love first round Tracy McGrady exits

13. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I'm not saying that Tillman doesn't suffer from the same malignant narcissism that seems to plague most billionaires, but...Christ, was Les a horrible owner.

14. HP3

HP3 Member

Person*

IBTL likes this.
  15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

And this is the camp I’m in. Both guys had/have shown to be mediocre at best. The ones crying out for “better days” under Les clearly have amnesia while the ones that want to give Tillman a pass after what we’ve seen this summer are just as delusional. Neither is better than the other and quite honestly Tilman is going down the same archetypal Les went down the first few years after the championship.

And this thread was awesomely started years ago and if you replaced Les’ name with Tilman people wouldn’t be surprised.

HP3 likes this.
  16. MystikArkitect

Seems like it finally caught up to him. I wouldn’t doubt that selling the Rockets was part of a deal with a DA office somewhere.

Stiff enough people and eventually it all comes crashing down.

17. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

The thing with most billionaires, and you can lump all of the top 0.1% with net worths over 10M into this category...they suffer from what Morey would call survivor's bias. They are successful monetarily now, and they made a bunch of important business decisions in their lifetimes, but that does not mean that their decisions led to their success. Correlation does not prove causation. More often than not, a lot of hungry ruthless businessmen are trying equally to rip off the public who in aggregate can be considered as animals with no capacity for foresight. The most ruthless businessmen are the most successful and starve off their peers, but there are also a ton of other factors too that you cannot predict. Nepotism, having an important father, using shady financiers like Deutschebank to help you launder money, getting help from some Russian mobsters that you unwittingly got in bed with during your darker days...no I'm not talking about the president, I'm just giving examples of things that ruthless humans do to get ahead. Eventually these successful people look back and say, "everything I did is responsible for everything I have today. I am the arbiter of 100% of my success," without understanding that a TON of it was circumstance, and beyond that sheer luck.

So now you have all these narcissistic humans of mediocre intellectual capacity roaming the earth, making the big decisions that will affect the fates of everyone. I for one am glad the NBA players are sticking it to them. If we win a championship it will be in spite of our ownership, not because of it.

18. KiLLiN

KiLLiN Member

The problem that I see with Tilman that Les didn’t have us this fixation of only paying for star players that move the needle from a business perspective. It’s not a speculation, as Tilman has consistently said publicly he will go into the luxury tax for star players but never once mentioned key role players that can move the needle in a championship level team (like a PJ Tucker or Shane Battier).

This is a significant knock as good role players don’t sell jerseys or provide immense monetary value in the short term (if at all), but are key to winning championships. Les has always been willing to pay for these types of players, and to this day we have not had 1 significant role played signing since Tilman took over, and that includes this ridiculously stacked free agency we just went through. Morey has to make magic happen to make sure we get good players on minimum deals which can only get your so far.

Sure, Les was also cheap, but he was willing to fork a good amount of cash to sign good players and has always done so throughout his tenure. Not say that Tilman ever will because he’s still paying off debt he took on just to buy the team - but it’s potentially costing us a run at a championship and that is not good. It’s not fair to say Les is a bad owner bc when he did have a team worth running for a title vs an all time great warriors squad, he forked out cash to make that run when the majority of the west owners did not.

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

the owner who brought us pajama jerseys with a dildo logo...

I guess I didn't drink enough of my sorrows away to forget.

20. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

The thing looks nothing like a dildo. What kind of dildos have you seen?