1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Triggering the fast break: data from the past

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Nov 4, 2009.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I can across a website with some very interesting numbers related to fast breaks off defensive rebounds which I thought I'd share here:

http://hoopnumbers.com/teamAnalysisView?team=Houston+Rockets&analysis=outletPass

For the last several seasons, it shows leaders in "fast break trigger rate" amongst other relevant stats. That trigger rate is defined as percentage of defensive rebounds grabbed by the player that led eventually to a fast break score. A good indicator of who's been our best outlet passers.

Trigger Rate leaders

Guards/Wings                                                  Bigs
    Rank    Year    Player            Rate                 Rank      Year     Player            Rate

1       2005    Jon Barry         25.0%                 1        2005     Maurice Taylor    16.3%
    2       2009    Tracy McGrady     21.6%                 2        2008     Chuck Hayes       15.7%
    3       2005    Tracy McGrady     20.3%                 3        2009     Chuck Hayes       15.3%
    4       2006    Tracy McGrady     19.3%                 4        2006     Chuck Hayes       14.7%
    5       2005    David Wesley      18.8%                 5        2005     Scott Padgett     14.5%
    6       2009    Rafer Alston      18.5%                 6        2007     Chuck Hayes       13.9%
    7       2009    Aaron Brooks      17.7%                 7        2005     Juwan Howard      13.2%
    8       2008    Tracy McGrady     17.6%                 8        2005     Yao Ming          13.0%
    9       2006    Rafer Alston      17.0%                 9        2008     Yao Ming          13.0%
    10      2008    Luther Head       16.2%                 10       2006     Juwan Howard      12.8%
    11      2006    David Wesley      16.2%                 11       2004     Kelvin Cato       12.7%
    12      2007    Tracy McGrady     15.6%                 12       2007     Juwan Howard      12.5%
    13      2008    Rafer Alston      15.2%                 13       2007     Yao Ming          12.1%
    14      2006    Luther Head       15.0%                 14       2009     Luis Scola        11.7%
    15      2007    Rafer Alston      14.1%                 15       2008     Luis Scola        11.6%
    16      2007    Chuck Hayes       13.9%                 16       2009     Yao Ming          11.3%
    17      2006    Keith Bogans      13.8%                 17       2004     Yao Ming          11.2%
    18      2009    Shane Battier     13.7%                 18       2004     Maurice Taylor    10.1%
    19      2007    Luther Head       13.6%                 19       2008     Dikembe Mutombo   9.9%
    20      2005    Bob Sura          13.2%                 20       2006     Yao Ming          9.2%

Also of interest would be how often the team scores on the fast break with the player on the court (but didn't get the rebound). Players who excel at leaking out will benefit for me.

On-court (non-rebounder) Fast Break Rate

Guards/Wings                                       Bigs
    Rank   Year    Player            Rate             Rank   Year     Player            Rate

1      2008    Bonzi Wells       14.9%            1      2009     Luis Scola        15.3%
    2      2009    Shane Battier     14.0%            2      2008     Luis Scola        15.2%
    3      2008    Shane Battier     13.5%            3      2008     Dikembe Mutombo   14.9%
    4      2008    Tracy McGrady     13.3%            4      2007     Chuck Hayes       14.2%
    5      2007    Rafer Alston      12.9%            5      2008     Carl Landry       14.1%
    6      2009    Rafer Alston      12.9%            6      2009     Yao Ming          14.0%
    7      2008    Luther Head       12.7%            7      2008     Yao Ming          13.8%
    8      2008    Rafer Alston      12.6%            8      2009     Carl Landry       13.7%
    9      2007    Shane Battier     12.5%            9      2007     Yao Ming          13.4%
    10     2007    Tracy McGrady     12.2%            10     2008     Chuck Hayes       12.7%
    11     2009    Aaron Brooks      12.0%            11     2009     Chuck Hayes       12.2%
    12     2009    Tracy McGrady     12.0%            12     2007     Dikembe Mutombo   12.2%
    13     2009    Ron Artest        11.8%            13     2007     Juwan Howard      11.0%
    14     2007    Luther Head       10.9%                                              

A few comments:

• McGrady's ability to get the rebound and trigger a fast break may be underappreciated. He could fit into a fast-breaking style of player as a trigger-man. Maybe not so much as a finisher.
    • Battier and Hayes have been maligned for not fitting into a fast-break style. Hayes has most consistently been our best big at triggering a fast break off his defensive rebound. No suprise to those that have paid attention. And Battier, despite not being a good finisher at the rim, does help the break by running to the 3-point line. This spaces the floor in transition, stretches the defense, and create more open lanes down the middle of the floor.
    • Luis Scola is arguably our best defensive rebounder right now, but he actually helps the fast break more by leaking out and running hard when others get the rebound.

3 people like this.
  2. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Good stuff. Starting the fast break takes rebounding and passing ability. Tracy Mcgrady and Chuck Hayes seem to have some of the best combinations of those skills on our team. Tracy Mcgrady in particular has that Jason Kidd-esque quality that allows him to get the rebound dribble half way down the court and "create" a fast break by attacking the defense before it's set with his passing ability. Hopefully that's something we see more of this year.

Former players rant about it all the time when they watch the rockets play but we can run with Yao on the floor if he learns how to be a good outlet passer. Some have laughed at me for repeating that here but it is important. As of now we get little to no fast break opportunities if Yao rebounds the ball because he pauses and gives it to the nearest perimeter player instead of looking down the court.

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I find it kind of ironic that 4 of the top 5 Trigger Rate Leaders (Guards) and 3 of the top 5 Trigger Rate Leaders (Bigs) are players that played under JVG teams.

4. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I for one am not surprised to see Chuck as a top "trigger" man on the break. He's very good about looking down the court for opportunities.

I'm also not surprised to see Dikembe at the top of the "on the court" list. He did a lot of shot blocking per minute that he was on the court, and blocks tend to lead to fast breaks.

Interesting stats.

5. bjshot

bjshot Member

Great finding. These data showed player's BBIQ. Hayes is very good at transition game. Luis always run hard to get easy points.

6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

also interesting:

when i checked these stats for the rest of the league i found an interesting trend.

1. 29 teams have a guard as the player with the best trigger rate after a rebound. that makes sense since when guards get a rebound they can start the fast break immediately without looking for an outlet pass.

2. almost every team had a big guy in the top 3 on the team in fast break scores.

conclusion - when guards rebound they can start a fast break immediately. guards who rebound more often would of course lead to more fast breaks. while big men who run the floor better than their counterparts obviously make better fast break scorers than guards. so rather than the traditional (big guy rebounds and outlets to guard), the more effective way to build a fast break team is with guards who are good for their position at rebounding and bigs who are good at running the floor.

that's the reason scola and tmac are ranked so high in the categories which durvasa so generously provided.

7. echu888

echu888 Member

durvasa, just wanted to say, I love the research and the angles you take to looking at our team's performance. Sometimes our intuition tells us one thing, but the data tells us another and that's great to have that "check" present since our intuition is rather fallable.

I am surprised by McGrady's consistently high trigger rate. Also, the comment made regarding the players under JVG's system was interesting as well. We always heard that he was always yelling at the players to run, run, run, but for whatever reason it was hard to see it happening.

Also, Jon Barry in 2005 -- 1 out of every 4 of his rebounds resulted in a fast break score? Wow. That's a value-add of a player that is not directly reflected in any box score, but it indicates (1) their awareness of scoring opportunities through pushing the ball, and (2) ability to get the ball into the right place and setting the tone for the fast break mentality.

I wonder how this year's numbers will add up and compare, by the end of the season.

ALSO, one thing that I notice different is that this year's Rockets run hard even off of made baskets, and if your opponent is shooting in the neighborhood of 40-50%, is roughly every other shot. That can translate into a ton of fast break opportunities (getting an open shot off in the presence of an unset defense) that wouldn't be accounted for by rebound triggers.

8. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Just because certain posters keep saying the same thing over and over again, doesn't mean it's true.

(One of my pet peeves on this board ... people repeating false mantras until they are universally accepted as truth.)

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

So you're telling me there's a valid reason why shane runs to the 3 point line on the break instead of going inside? No way!

good find and i agree with your observations...chuck always does look to fire the pass forward, yao still has a habit of sometimes handing it to the closest guy and not looking ahead, but he's getting better.

10. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Well, his "valid reason" is that he is a very poor finisher and ball handler. Getting the easy layup with a possibility of an and 1 would undoubtedly be the best option.

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

One player who's absent from the list for trigger rate is Carl Landry.

In fact, last season, the Rockets fast breaked only 7.8% of the time off his defensive rebound. That's actually the lowest for any player that was tracked over the last several years. Just one more aspect of the game that Landry needs to improve on this year.

12. Pest_Ctrl

Pest_Ctrl Member

If they do a statistics of "fast break trigger rate after blocks", Mutombo would probably rank dead last, as he needs to finish his finger wag before passing the ball out. ;)

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i think it's obvious a layup is the best outcome of a fastbreak. If a guy like shane isn't a good finisher or ballhandler, but he's good three point shooter, it makes sense to flash to the line and let more capable players finish. Not only is he attracting the attention of the defense, but he's also not taking a fnishing opportunity away from someone who does it better. Of course that doesn't mean he should run to the 3 pt line if he's the one ahead of the break, but i don't believe that's the case.

14. echu888

echu888 Member

Lowest for any player tracked? That's never a good place to be. Reminds me of Rafer "dead last in FG%" Alston.

15. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

durvasa: email me at the account provided on my blog.

16. echu888

echu888 Member

Funny and disappointing how these threads drop off so quickly. It takes a bit of thought and effort to put these together but when its done, unless people can run further with it, nobody can really argue with the data.

Just another bump for those who might've missed it.

17. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Looking at that link you provided, I am surprised that Rajon Rondo and Jason Kidd don't have higher %. They both are considered very good rebounding point guards, but perhaps they don't have people around them running?

18. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

He tends to try to out-jump his opponent instead of boxing them out on rebounds, which may be why it's harder for him to make an outlet pass for the break. By the time he comes back down and gets into a passing position, the window for a break may have passed.