1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trey Mancini to Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Marteen, Aug 1, 2022.

1. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Correct.
    We literally picked Siri up for nothing.

No Worries likes this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

Mancini is a rental.

He is a solid defensive first baseman and a bad left fielder but still playable.

His barrel rate is a concern and he hasn’t been terrible good after a good start. However he should be better with a strong line up around him and his power will play way better in Houston. He can be solid as a bat.

At worst he is a top pinch hitter than can fill in at first and outfield.

He guarantees the Astros will get an emergency corner outfielder is they don’t make another move and Brantley struggles.

Basically this was Siri for Mancini. With so many centerfielders he was expendable.

3. Yordan The Great

So Mancini can play left field? Because Tucker's most valuable in right field.

4. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

5. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

O’s fans in shambles. Read the comments.

lionaire and conquistador#11 like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

Depends. I am asking and trying to find out but Mancini basically cost them a player (Siri) who wasn’t in their plans. He can potentially play a corner outfield spot or first. He cost them so little they could have him in a platoon or pinch hitter and still justify the trade.

I love Siri’s glove but it was painfully obvious he wasn’t going to be around too much longer with so many centerfielders.

luckyman76 and everyday eddie like this.
  7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

MMP left field is easy enough for Mancini to play it, I would still like Contreras but Bell isn’t out of the question.

Guys who can hit and play CF in this park are sadly both expensive and in short supply.

9. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Except when he plays against the Astros in the future.

noscrusir, Kim, H-Town Info and 4 others like this.
  10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Astros and Yankees going to pillage the opposite's intra-division rivals for as much intel gaining as possible... a Cold War of sorts.

Madmanmetz, Kim, PuzzledFan and 2 others like this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

i for one won't be worried. Ill actually look forward to him swinging at every little thing and laughing at his dramatics

12. jayfree

jayfree Member

Perfect trade. You get a guy that can play everyday at 1b and outfield and you can still get Yuli some starts

luckyman76, Kim and raining threes like this.
  13. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Mancini is a vet who is not earth shattering, but a clear upgrade over McCormick/Meyers

14. Yordan The Great

This is arguably the slowest player in the majors, no way we can stick him out there in the most important position in the OF.

He's gonna have to play LF (or 1B obviously).

Anybody saw the inside the park grand slam that hit off the face of the opposing outfielder last week? That was Mancini barely making it to home plate. I saw him rounding third and all I could think was this dude lacks any kind of athleticism. Looked like some Joe Schmoe off the street.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

He's capable of being in the OF. couldn't really careless where. He's a solid upgrade in so many areas and fills the stros gaps nicely. Yeah I'm sure Maldy can beat him in running

16. jayfree

jayfree Member

Hmmm, so now we have the MMM boys

T for 3 likes this.
  17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Too much has been leaked about Bell (from other sources) to think the Astros are seriously engaged to a point to allow all that. Same with them being linked to Choi.

More than likely another under the radar move such as this, without much fanfare prior. I could be wrong... but seems to be the MO of this front office (as it was also the MO of the last front office).

18. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The only somewhat interesting piece to me is the fact that Myers is a train wreck right now. Siri is at least rocking AAA to the point where it wouldn't have been awful to give him another shot.

Either they're comfortable with Chas out there, or are ok with Tucker playing center (though with his recent struggles, I don't think they'd want to add that to his plate).

19. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Our new guy

PuzzledFan, seeingredtx and Astrodome like this.
  20. jayfree

jayfree Member

Tidbits with this trade

Mancinin was 3rd in the AL ROY race in 2017 just ahead of Yuli (who he'll replace at 1B for several games). Also, guess who came in 3rd in the NL ROY race in 2017........ JOSH BELL!

It's happening. The universe has foreseen it!

everyday eddie likes this.