1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trevor Ariza vs James Johnson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by broteinshake, Aug 8, 2018.

1. seeingred

seeingred Member

Last year JJ's % from the corner 3 was 35%. We can work with that. And his % in the paint was 65.7%. So really the subpar rebounding is the only concern I've heard that seems legit. But i think we started rebounding as a team after Dwight's last season (an adjustment after we were at the bottom in league) so as long as he's willing to box his man out, that may not be an issue either.

2. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

great memory & excellent d.

D-rock likes this.
  3. bmelo

bmelo Member

since Durant torched Ariza, who is now a year older, I would give James Johnson a chance. I mean that's the only thing we need him for - we need wing defenders for up to 14 games in playoffs (basically Durant in GSW + Lebrons in LAL). I dont' care how he shooting percentage wise in comparsion to Trevor because Ariza went 0/9 in the game that mattered most. We will beat other teams regardless

RudyTBag, Hui, D-rock and 1 other person like this.
  4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Durant's worst series in the playoffs was against the Rockets, and LMM barely played and when he played he was one of the worst players in the playoffs (because of his shoulder obviously). Durant had his lowest FG%, assists by far, rebounds and lost the most games against the Rockets. His PPS against us remained steady because he allegedly was fouled more by us than any other playoff opponent. When the Warriors were relying on Durant to carry them, we went up 3-2 and Warriors players and staff were urging Durant to trust his teammates more.

If that's torching, then he torched everyone. It means he torched whoever the Spurs, Pelicans, Rockets and Cavs threw at him. Also, Game 7 wasn't the game that mattered most. All the games matter before you win 4 in a series. If he had gone 0 for 9 in the second game and we lost, it would not have been better for us in any way.

EVERYONE went cold in Game 7. That's because Paul wasn't around as a PG alternative and the players were exhausted from MDA's ridiculously small rotation throughout the playoffs and arguably the regular season too. Yes, a 33 year old Ariza who is an NBA leader in minutes played over the last 5 seasons was exhausted and he is not as good as he used to be. This guy has given so much the organization but people insist on acting like he was responsible for everything. You can't ask for more from $8m a year role player.

Ariza is not exactly a role model for younger players and on offense he can do nothing except hit 3's from the corner. That $15m he got from Phoenix is because of his defense only which they hope is transferred to their defensively inept young squad.

This is not a knock on JJ - who is one of my favorite NBA role players - but instead a little bit of sanity in the Ariza debate.

D-rock, HP3, Reeko and 1 other person like this.
  5. bmelo

bmelo Member

From what I saw with single Ariza coverage for Durant in game 1 went really bad. He started to go cold once our coaching stuff figured where to set him up and when the double team should come.

That's not knock on Ariza that best scorer torched him, what I mean is it won't make much difference if Ariza or Johnson defends him. Only superstar defenders can slow Durant one-on-one and that's not likely too.

Anyway - we can't go out with Carmelo or PJ on Durant

6. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

James Johnson would be the #1 defensive option off the bench and was tasked with defending the best player on the floor with the Heat.

Tucker, Melo, Ennis, Johnson & Green is a very nice group of forwards

hakeem94, D-rock and bmelo like this.
  7. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Vets get bought out all the time when there on and expiring contract.

If the suns are in the playoffs mix? Then ya there’s 0 chance it happens, but if there one of the 5 worst teams in the league like most would assume. I see no way he isn’t bought out.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

they've held on to TC all this time. they're not going to buy out ariza. no reason to even think so. this was some silly thought a cf member posted and I guess people bit on it.

did you hear dj was going come to hou to play for min. oh wait

RudyTBag and hakeem94 like this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Loved Ariza but he's no longer a Rocket. Time to move on.

Trade for James Johnson already.

10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

sign me up for johnson. he would be our answer to dray.

D-rock likes this.
  11. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

Chandler was under contract for 4 years at a staggering $50+ Million contract, HELL NO they wasn’t going to buy him out, TF. Ariza has one year $15 mill and even if he was to get bought out I see him choosing GS over HOU and if so Brooklyn is looking to buyout Carrol who I liked as a 3D guy over Ariza.