1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trevor Ariza vs James Johnson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by broteinshake, Aug 8, 2018.

1. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Move to NBA Dish.

Little Bit and saleem like this.
  2. HP3

HP3 Member

[QUOTE="JayZ750, post: 11922927, member: 1462"
    Most to the point... overall, he's just an ok role player, who got 26 minutes per game and 41 starts on a mediocre at best team. I don't mind him, would certainly value him over a useless Ryan Anderson (if Anderson indeed is useless again), I'm just not expecting much that would truly move the needle.[/QUOTE]
    Again, you make this assessment without having seen him play is a moot point.

3. TheRedRanger

TheRedRanger Member

I see James Johnson as another Tucker or Beverly. It's doesn't hurt to have more of those tough and gritty players on you're team. On this team he would be playing backup 3-5. His defensive versatility would be really help our switching Defense. If we get him, I believe he would be the best person on our team to match up with Durant/Lebron/Draymond. On our team, we play a lot of small ball and he could fit in and be our small ball 5. A line up of

Johnson
    Tucker
    Ennis
    Harden
    Paul

could be our answer to match up with the Hampton 5.

D-rock likes this.
  4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Are you trying to tell us that Hakeem was a terrible defender and so was Marcus Camby because they blocked shots? Nice take.

csj likes this.
  5. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Marcus Camby is a horrid example of "Bad Defender who blocked a ton of shots", he led the league in DBPM five times.

Hassan Whiteside is a better example.

6. xaos

xaos Member

Yeah I was joking. He is one of the last people to mess with in the NBA

7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I keep hearing that the rockets need a wing defender and not another defensive 4 since we already have tucker. while i agree that tucker and johnson are better interior defenders, i don't think they'd be any worse than average defenders on the perimeter. i don't ever see them being liabilities. how many teams would burn a lineup of capela-johnson-tucker-harden-paul? who are these lightning fast 3 guard lineups that are picking apart that defense? i just don't see it.

you accurately pointed out the matchup against the warriors. the only thing that matters. and they play basically two 4's in KD and dray. against them you need length and strength (trademarked new defensive term lol). even against the hamptons 5, i'm comfortable with johnson and tucker guarding dray, KD, iggy, and klay, while steph goes at harden 1-1 again.

D-rock, seeingred and HP3 like this.
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Camby played 17 seasons he wasn't a defensive ace his entire career.

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

No I am trying to tell you blocked shots are not an indicator of great defense.

As expected of someone who thinks Ryan Anderson is the 2nd best spacer in the league after Steph Curry :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

10. txn

txn Member

30.8% 3P% from 2.5 attempt per game. I am sorry, I am afraid I have to say Trevor Ariza > James Johnson at this moment.

11. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I think an interested Anderson is both a better option and easier to get.

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Had to put this in here ... don't know if it's been posted, but wow... the Rockets need somebody like this. The stories get better as the clip goes on, so watch it all :

D-rock, fattz, calbear and 2 others like this.
  13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Again, you make this assessment without having seen him play is a moot point.[/QUOTE]

I’ve seen him play.

Surely you’re not trying to say we can’t judge players who haven’t been in the rockets until they’ve been on the rockets?? Cause that’s basically against the whole point of player analysis for other players you’d want on your team.

One might argue on the rockets he’ll be better! That actually doesn’t happen that much. EG won sixth man of the year.... because he became a sixth man. Hes basically the same player he was except he’s a worse three point shooter in Houston (not better like some think). Some players do seem to get or fit better. Gerald Green was almost out of the league, seemingly.

14. MghtyPtrck

MghtyPtrck Member

thank you for this! this was hilarious! Bomani Jones' reaction lmao

D-rock likes this.
  15. CCorn

CCorn Member

Between NeNe and Johnson we could take any other team in a fight.

D-rock and Hakeemtheking like this.
  16. CCorn

CCorn Member

Plus Zhou who is also a black belt

17. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Great defense:
    [​IMG]

Solid space creating PF:

ico4498 and Hakeemtheking like this.
  18. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

You underestimate how much of a difference a good role player can make, especially when we only have a six man playoff rotation against the best team in the league. You'd think that someone like Josh Smith would move the needle in the wrong direction, but he was instrumental in getting us to the WCF while "perfect fit" Ryan Anderson has done nothing for us in the playoffs. Johnson is a good defender that is an aggressive and efficient scorer. We could use someone like him off the bench even if he's not the perfect fit.

And I wouldn't use a player's current team against him either. Before he got traded to Toronto, PJ got 28 minutes per game and 17 starts on a horrible Suns team, with a 10.6 PER and a 51.7 TS%. His numbers in Toronto were actually worse save for better shooting from downtown. If you looked at his Houston numbers without context you'd think he just had one of the worst seasons of his career, but I can assure you that he moved the needle for us.

19. HP3

HP3 Member

.[/QUOTE]

No, I'm saying unless you've watched him for a significant amount of games(especially on obscure teams like the Heat this year), you cant amake statements like the one you made(notice how i only quoted the last part of your post ), calling him just on ok role player I think really undersells him. I went to the Heat subreddit and alot of them seem to value him highly.

Well, we do have better players, he may not be better but he'll significantly improve us, I think. Again from the Heat subreddit, apparently he was 5th on the team in Win Shares, 2nd in BPM. 3rd in VORP. I think he would help our team alot imo. But at the end of the day, I dont really know all that much cause i havent watched much of him haha. He could just be an OK role player like you are saying butI'm willing to role the dice.

20. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Melo will replace Trevor's defense.