1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. ROCKETS GAMEDAY
    The Rockets hope to rebound (no pun intended) after that brutal loss to Charlotte when they take on Ja Morant and the Grizzlies tonight. Come join us live at 7:00pm CT!

LIVE! Rockets vs. Grizzlies

Trevor Ariza already feels needed, wanted by New Orleans Hornets

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clips/Roxfan, Aug 15, 2010.

1. StanleyHartwell

Your constant need to trash players on the Rockets team, even someone like Ariza who by all accounts is a player with great work ethic and modest personality shows only your own failure as a person rather than Ariza's failure as a player

Your naivete in thinking that trading Ariza is purely a basketball decision rather than a financial one and your wallowing in the wishful thinking that somehow you are on the same page with Morey simply shows, yes sir, your lack of smartness.

Your selective use of "evidence" that supports your argument shows you are either immune to logic or you have no problem spewing bias and vitriol all around. You bring up Morey's trading as a proof of your basketball judgement, but refuse to face the fact that Phil Jackson made Ariza the starting SF on that Lakers championship team, or the fact that as much as you think Ariza sucks, he starts before either Battier or Budinger last season, which, by logic, must mean Battier and Budinger are even "worse."

Like I said above, many losers simply like to trash people to make themselves feel good. :rolleyes:

2. Eddy F.

Eddy F. Member

No use taking shots at Ariza. I personally think he did what he could for Houston, just didn't work out.

Let's not take personal shots at him and just wish him luck in NO where I think he'll thrive.

Meanwhile, I'm more curious if C-bud is being groomed to be our starting SF or is it a position Morey plans to trade for? I love Battier, but he's not gonna be our starting SF forever.

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Hate to interrupt the fascinating war between Stanley and DaDa, but the quote above was the most interesting to me. It is kind of sweet, sad, and odd. It's sweet and sad that he's still referencing that he was asked to score for us and he tried his best. (I believe him and loved his effort.) The everybody-is-against-me-...-a-little-bit thing is odd but speaks volumes to his basic mindset. I don't think that's necessarily awful in a locker room, but it probably a type of insecurity that isn't ideal either.

Anyway, best wishes Trevor, and most of us in Houston send you a hug. I think you need one (a little bit.)

4. adoo

adoo Member

great points
    i'd call it self-fulfilled prophecy.

BINGO
    Ditto

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

There's a little bit of TMac in him.

Well, except for the part about Ariza having a ring. People can bash him all they want, but he was a starter on a championship team. (Like Artest).

6. BrentStl

BrentStl Member

We were stockpiling assets, not team building. Ariza has/had the physical gifts and skill set, but I never thought Morey saw this guy as a long-term Rocket. Ariza's head just isn't where our franchise needs it to be.

Morey was brilliant. Sign him to a market contract and try it for a year... we had nobody else auditioning for go-to scorer at the 2 or 3 spots. Worst case scenario is hugely inflated stats for his career. If no chemistry with our team, he's still young enough to move for full value.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

And your post is completely about trashing me....lol, I am guessing now you are feeling good?

Way to use that "Smartness" Stanley.....

;)

Ariza never fit in Houston, he is the kind of player who needs a leader, someone to show him the way, and to feed off of....he never really got that in Houston, and honestly Yao is not that kind of guy either.

I don't think he is a great player, but he is a quality role player in the right situation, that was not here in Houston, but it is there for him in New Orleans.

So again, all joshing aside....I think it was a great move by the organization for both the Rockets and Trevor.

As for me not liking him as a player, nope, never did.....glad he is gone....didn't like his attitude and style of play, but I can respect that he played hard...

DD

#47 DaDakota, Aug 16, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  8. Eddy F.

Eddy F. Member

9. shootingrockets

shootingrockets New Member

for me it was all about his shooting %
    way to low

10. RocketRick

RocketRick Member

11. DaDakota

Supporting Member

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That quote stuck with me, as well. I think a good sized part of the reason Ariza was moved had to do with his fit in the "culture" of the Rockets. In one of the few missteps by Morey, Ariza simply ended up not fitting. That Morey was able to move him fixed that blunder and saved Les a great deal of money in the process. And I don't think the level of talent Ariza has had anything to do with the guy being moved to a division rival, as DD keeps contending. The skill set Trevor proved to have in relation to what the Rockets are trying accomplish simply didn't make him a good fit, IMO.

(did you ever check out that Dan Hicks LP, B-Bob, or did that video I posted of them on The Flip Wilson Show scare you off? ;-)- )

I'm very surprised that you posted that, DD. It is a reflection on Brooks, your "top dawg" on the Rockets, and not a good one.

13. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Here is what I think is happening or did happen.

Brooks is in the transition of taking over the team Deckard, last year Ariza tried to take it over first, and then Brooks stepped up and Ariza bristled at it.

Sometimes players come in and lead right away, others take time to get there, Brooks is the latter...he is getting there.

DD

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

I am impressed with your mind reading skills.

15. DaDakota

Supporting Member

DaKarnack !

:grin:

DDeductive reasoning my man, DDeductive reasoning.

DD

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm a huge fan of Brooks (and Chase, another of your/my favorite players), and never warmed up to Ariza, but I just never saw what you keep saying you've seen between AB and Trevor. All I saw was the back and forth between two players who want to win during the course of a game(s), two players frustrated that winning had become very difficult with the team's two best players sitting on the sidelines in suits, frustration that boiled over during games from time to time, perhaps, but nothing nearly as big a deal as you make it out to be. You'll get no argument from me that Ariza wasn't a good fit with what Adelman and Morey are trying to do with the team, although now we'll never know if having a healthy Yao would have made all the difference. Heck, we still don't know if Yao will play at the level we need him to play at in order to contend, or even if he'll last the season. I also don't see AB "taking over the team." He's a piece of the puzzle, an important piece, but he has a hell of a lot to prove still to meet the labels you've already placed on him, in my opinion. And I hope he keeps improving. We need him to.

17. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Maybe you did not see it because you didn't look for it, but I saw it a lot, where Brooks would go the other direction instead of giving the ball to Trevor, especially on the perimeter.

I don't think we need a guy taking over the team, but we do need one that is the main guy, and that is Brooks.

DD

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

Are you sure they weren't just running a play? Doesn't really make much sense for players to all go in the same direction.

19. Juxtaposed Jolt

You kidding me?

If your boss shipped you somewhere else to work, and after a year THAT boss shipped you to work somewhere else, would you have the same mindset you have now? You wouldn't be mad at all, because it is a "business?"

He had to uproot his family from LA to HOU, and now from HOU to NO. Last time I checked, moving from place to place wasn't fun. Believe me, I've done it before.

20. Juxtaposed Jolt

Technically, you don't know that. An Ariza - Yao combo could have been good. Or disastrous.

But we'll never know, now.