1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trayvon Martin

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Mar 10, 2012.

1. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Ordinarily, I'd say yes, pointing out someone's mistakes in grammar is a cop-out. Except when it's part of the argument. I think we can all agree on the heavy emphasis of lyrics in rap music- it's a fundamental part as opposed to, say, classical music. So, when one says that "anyone can rap," that's basically saying that they have little to zero talent. It's not too far a stretch to see that someone who suffers from obvious grammar flaws could NOT, indeed, be successful in the rap art form. So, it's his fallacy, not mine. Not everyone can rap and be successful at it.

How would one explain Nas, my personal favorite? Shouldn't he have disappeared by now? Can anyone write lyrics like him? Yeah, I'm sure Grammarville could do it easily.

2. Granville

Granville Member

It's still a cop out. If Dumboringlyric was a Rapper his hype man would be saying "Yes, Yes" instead of "yeeah yeeah" and "I'm requesting that each of you in attendance please raise your arms over your head".

3. dandorotik

It's a cop-out when you can't even spell Jimi Hendrix' name right? OK. Who's your favorite artist? The Beetles? Deaf Leopard? You think rap sucks, I think your opinion of it sucks, and you think my opinion of your opinion sucks. I'll leave it at that.

Actually, no- you said this:

"The major part of the artistry of live musical performances is the synchronizaton of the band and the vocalist."

So, by your definition, a performance of Beethoven's 5th live, with zero synchronizatIon between band and vocalist, is inferior?

4. Granville

Granville Member

I like the B....e....a....t....l...e.....s but I wouldn't say they are my favorite.

Have a nice night. I didn't know I hurt your little feelings. Sorry.

5. dandorotik

"There aren't moments when you sit back and say, Wow I wish I had the talent to do that at a Rap concert. Because with a little practice most people could."

With a little practice, most people could play many songs from Bruce Springsteen, Robert Johnson, and The Ramones. Does that exclude them? I'm just really trying to understand your definition of what constitutes art/music. I used to think I knew, but now you've got me all confused.

6. dandorotik

OK, now I'm really, really curious. Who is your favorite musical artist? I just have to know.

7. dandorotik

Sorry, but rap is undoubtedly music- based on the dictionary definition of music as organized sound and silence, it's obvious. Melody is not a necessary component of music, or even sound for that matter - like "4:33", an entirely silent piece by John Cage, who until he died was one of the world's top musicologists and philosophers on music.

Rap, in essence, is "recitation on top of an instrumental accompaniment." For those who still have a traditional definition of music, compare it to recitativo secco, a style that you can find in every opera since 1600. Would you say that these sections of Don Giovanni or Wagner's Ring Cycle are not true music? As for claims that rap does not include harmony, that is entirely untrue; a harmonic accompaniment is an essential part of the standard rap song.

8. Granville

Granville Member

If it's an instrumental only performance like you have described that's different. That would still require highly skilled musician's working together.

The instrumental part of a Rap concert is absent at a live event. Some of the best artists / bands are the ones who sound as good live as they do on a recording. It takes capable musicans and singers working flawlessly together to produce a quality sound. It's not the same when the artist is talking / shouting / mumbling or however you want to put it to recorded music. You can ask either Milli or Vanilli how unfulfilling it is to use pre-recorded music on stage....

9. Granville

Granville Member

Sorry to participate in this hijacking....

Back to the Zimmerman fiasco.

10. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

Cop out or not; It's certainly gravitating towards childishness at this point. Haha

1 person likes this.
  11. dandorotik

When this thread made it past page 10, that's when it got silly.

12. dandorotik

As if we need to keep talking about that, BTW. I'm out.

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

So what? I already gave perfectly legitimate reasons for the investigation. If the investigation doesn't find anything then a full investigation has been done by the body that handles civil rights violations and we're done. And what? You think when the justice dept gets complaints from citizen groups and citizens alike they just say sorry, Fox News says we can't investigate? The ****... Lol

Oh noes Balack Obamer is investigating for civil rights violations, what is this country coming to! i want my country back! George Zimmerman, civil rights hero!

Pffshaw...

14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I'm not gay nor am I a biker but you sound like such a pleasant fella. You are just full of all kinds of hate granny!

15. ashiin

ashiin Member

Saying the instrumental part of a Rap concert is absent is just so wrong. Many mainstream rappers use live bands to perform. Off the top of my head I can think of a handful of mainstream artists who did it from the Beastie Boys to Jay Z and Kanye. Some might prefer to a turntable and a DJ since it's more accessible but that is a different form of live instrumentation itself.

From what I'm seeing in these past couple of pages it's just you trying to hate on a genre based off of uninformed assumptions. Dandorotik has been hitting the nail on the head the whole time.

ps. I'm not even a hip hop head, I probably like the same music as you do.

16. Damion Laverne

You can't flim-flam the Zim-Zam!

[​IMG]

17. dandorotik

The definition of music is very broad:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yLa8Br569gA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. ashiin

ashiin Member

And I agree with you (haven't seen that scene in forever I need to watch friends again). There are certain styles or genres of music that I can't understand (free jazz comes to mind), but at least I'm able to see the cultural and social context that creates these types of music and at least respect it. I don't **** on something just because I don't understand it and call it mumbojumbo****onastick, and even when I don't like it I can still see the musicianship behind it. Something I've learned as a music industry major (even though there's the other side where it's follow where the money goes)

19. Granville

Granville Member

Says the guy who is blinded by hate and ignorance so much that he can't get over the fact that GZ was found not guilty and he wants the government to cave in to lynch mob mentality. You continue to try to find hate in GZ where there is none to soothe your bruised ego over being dead wrong from day 1.

20. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

Sun Ra was the shiiiiit.