1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Trayvon Martin

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Nook

Nook Member

A conviction for manslaughter is not certain at this point assuming the jury pool isn't tainted.

Nothing would surprise me at this point.

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Trayvon had drugs in him. Fact. Sorry that bothers you

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nobody is saying anything differently, and you're ignoring the other FACTS presented about Zimmerman and the drugs he was taking.

4. rdsgonzo13

rdsgonzo13 Contributing Member

It absolutely would bother me if it was a drug which was correlated with an increased propensity for violence. That wasn't the case, which makes it more or less irrelevant.

Most people who take weed are in fact LESS predisposed to violence and are more laid back.

Zimmerman was cleary upset on the 911 call about the prospect of another criminal getting away. We also know he had been taking prescription drugs which ARE correlated with agitation.

Meanwhile, what we know about Martin's actions before the encounter are that he was walking home to watch the NBA All Star game while talking to his girlfriend. He was unarmed, close to his residence and wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary.

The objective facts point to Zimmerman being more likely of being in a confrontational mindframe than they do Martin. He was the one riled up and he was the one who had convicted Martin in his mind of a crime without any reason to think so.

5. rdsgonzo13

As an attorney would you agree that many, if not most jurors are going to carry with them predispositions and biases that adversely affect their ability to fairly adjudicate regardless of whether the case is high profile or not?

I've had several friends serve on juries and some of the stories they tell me about the way jurors deliberate and reason is just incredible.

Since this particular case is so polarizing, do you as a lawyer think a hung jury is probably the most likely outcome?

6. Granville

Granville Member

You seem to leave out facts like Martin telling his gf that he was pissed about the guy following him...... Rant on...

7. Nook

Nook Member

Yes I agree with, especially in high profile cases. In this case it will be virtually impossible to get a fair jury... Everyone is familiar with the case, even President Obama commented.

Because you will be dealing with a jury pool with bias, it is critical that the attorneys try to control the narrative of the media presenting the facts surrounding this case. Martin's family and personal attorney did a great job presenting their version of events. The last month or so, Zimmerman has been a master at releasing information beneficial to his client and damning to the state.

Zimmerman wants to change public opinion before the jury is selected.

8. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

I bet you absolutely love it and get flattered when strange random guys follow you around :rolleyes:

9. wekko368

wekko368 Member

You keep saying this, but you haven't provided your reasoning.

10. Granville

Granville Member

I wouldn't get in a fight over it, call the Police. Martin was almost at the place where his Dad was shacking up with his GF. He could have waited there until the Police arrived.

Here the kid was suspended 3 times from school and sent to his Dad because he was in trouble. The Dad doesn't even call the Police until the next day. Horrible parenting.... It's no damn wonder the kid was getting in so much trouble.

11. rdsgonzo13

She said nothing to this effect in the audio I listened to in the recently released evidence file. She describes his mood as being fearful and that his voice was progressively getting lower.

If the predominant emotion for Martin was anger instead of fear, why did Martin run away when Zimmerman was following him?

If someone is a confrontational mindset, is it more logical for them to run away from the person they want to fight or towards them?

A link for the audio is http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/18/us...ager.html?_r=3

Click on the text on the left handside that says "Mr. Martin's last phone call: "This man is watching him." That is the full interview between the State Attorney and the Girlfriend.

Can you share where you have seen facts that Martin told his GF he was pissed off about the guy following him?

#4951 rdsgonzo13, May 20, 2012
    Last edited: May 20, 2012
  12. bigtexxx

is it counter intuitive to anyone why so many on here are so quick to defend an illegal drug user and throw the guy trying to fight crime under the bus?

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Why the propaganda-like useage of generic terms like 'illegal drug user'? Yes he is an illegal drug user, but that has no bearing on this case unless you can point to any sort of evidence which shows mary j to influence a person in such a way that they would become a greater threat than when they're sober.

Legality does not necessarily correspond to Influence, that's why people are ignoring this argument. It's pretty clear.

If he was drunk (and alcohol is legal) then yeah people would be less defensive people since we all understand the effects of these substances.

14. bigtexxx

Alan Dershowitz thinks the case against Zimmerman should be dropped.

cliffs:
    • Says the new evidence strongly supports traditional self defense (even w/o the "stand your ground" defense).
    • Under traditional self-defense, if GZ's life was in danger, it wouldn't even matter if GZ was the one who verbally provoked Trayvon. GZ would have had the right to shoot TM if he felt his life was in danger, and the photos demonstrate that.
    The prosecution has already admitted that it has no evidence that Zimmerman started the actual fight.

Dershowitz also completely clowns the state attorney Angela Corey, who he claims has acted unethically by intentionally ignoring evidence that supports GZ's position...

The more that comes out about this case, the more it supports GZ's self-defense claim.

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/drop-george-zimmerman-murder-charge-article-1.1080161

15. DaleDoback

DaleDoback Contributing Member

This is what gets me. I can't wrap my mind around how this makes any sense at all. How does Alan come to this conclusion? Makes zero sense to me.......

16. bigtexxx

um, it's called understanding the law bro

17. DaleDoback

Really? Please explain. Honest. I am not an expert on self-defense law.....and not trolling. I am curious how provoking someone to start a fight......then killing said person.....can be classified as self-defense.

18. bigtexxx

it has to do with GZ's life being in danger

It's not the "school-yard justice" standard of "who started it", but rather, if your life is in danger, you can act in self defense

19. DaleDoback

I understand it's not school-yard justice. But according to the law....that means I can travel to Florida.....pick fights with every 300 Pound dude I see........get my rear tossed like a rag doll.......then kill him.

And I am good to go? Self Defense? Sorry.......I don't follow.

I am not picking a side here. Unlike most that took sides during OJ, Casey Anthony and the Scott Peterson trial.......I let the events take place.

20. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Can you prove he was a drug user or are you just making up facts? Remember, there are multiple ways he could have that chemical in his system without actually being a user. Unless they released breaking news that says "Martin on Tape Smoking Mary Jane" you can't claim he was a user. Maybe they did release something like that and I just missed it.

It amazes me that you continue to claim neutrality on this case when you're just as quick to jump on something released and make up facts like the other people you so often argue with.