1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Travis Scott Astroworld festival disaster

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ferrari77, Nov 6, 2021.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In the era of COVID, people forgot how to concert.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  2. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

ive been to a s***load of music festivals in multiple cities and venues over the last 30 years and ive never seen an EMS vehicle with lights flashing driving into a massive crowd like that.

and travis did not show much love to his fans when he refused to pause the show while people were dying.

i blame organizers too. and his management. and security. and travis scott too. again, people died b/c he failed to act.

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I've been at shows where the act stopped to point out that someone needed help. Part of the blame is definitely on TS.

jo mama, Gakatron, Patience and 2 others like this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

Since we're reviewing history and not posting ignorant comments....

This was not a stampede/trample type event (a la your Black Friday/Who Concert scenerio), this was people being crushed together by a surge of bodies pushing in one direction toward the stage (a la the Pearl Jam incident in Denmark), who did not have adequate means to exit at the front and sides to alleviate the pressure behind them.

The worst one that immediately comes to mind was Hillsborough, at an English soccer match. 30-for-30 did a great, heartbreaking, documentary on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillsborough_disaster

This. If there's enough clear-cut evidence, you'll sometimes see the C.O.D. listed as "cardiac arrest due to..." or something like that.

#124 Buck Turgidson, Nov 7, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
    jo mama, Patience and Two Sandwiches like this.
  5. Remix

Remix Member

Travis Scott has always been a total POS

6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I was at the front during a Metallica festival in the 1990s and someone came down from crowd surfing and stuck their finger into my eye (socket) and I was immediately blinded. Right behind the barrier they had dozens of big, strong guys pulling people out so they weren't crushed/further injured and directing them to either a medical area or to the back of the concert. Two of these guys pulled me out, one said that it looked like it hurt. I had an EMT check out my eye and send me on my way.

So these safeguards are old hat at this point. It's just a matter of planning and money.

Roc Paint, Patience, jiggyfly and 2 others like this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Of course they are and I've seen it happen many times, but safeguards only work if you put them in place.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

At this point, any large concert that doesn't have a barrier section in front of the stage is just flat out irresponsible.

I was at a Slayer show once where there were multiple people that had to be pulled out of the crowd due to injuries, some serious. Without the barrier section filled with security, it's very possible people could have died.

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great
    Astroworld will now be known for tragedy instead of the Texas cyclone and sky screamer and fright night

body slam, Kim and jev5555 like this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

11. mulletman

mulletman Member

Quite a contrast between the narrative on social media and from people that went compared to what’s written in the NYTimes about what Travis Scott was doing while all of this was happening. Reading coverage in the times makes it seem like he made attempts to stop the show to help people

12. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Tony Buzbee on it already. Going to have a press conference soon as well.

snowconeman22 and Two Sandwiches like this.
  13. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

First of all I mourn for the families that lost loved ones. That is an unspeakable tragedy. Much thought and planning needs to go into avoiding a situation like this in the future.

I also worry about what role Travis Scott and his genre of musicians have on society at large. My current impression is that they are not good for the following:
    • Public safety
    • The treatment of women
    • Education
    • Communication skills / Social skills
    We have to do better as a community to encourage our youth to spend time on more constructive things.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

These rappers are such pieces of ****

Jturbofuel likes this.
  15. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I'd forgotten about this

https://www.billboard.com/articles/...rrested-for-inciting-riot-at-arkansas-concert

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...ed-after-fans-storm-lollapalooza-stage-57069/

Jturbofuel and King1 like this.
  16. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

And for those that would say how could he have been able to stop the show? Yeah, he's stopped his shows a couple of times before. For important things like getting the kid that "stole" his shoe and then telling the crowd to get the dude

and then to berate a photographer working on stage for the show he was at

Really important reasons to stop a show. Would've been great if someone took his shoe on Friday night so the show could've been stopped.

Buck Turgidson, King1 and FrontRunner like this.
  17. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I watched some of the Friday night show on YouTube. His voice reminded me of that South Park episode where Randy Marsh was auto-tuning his voice to become Lorde. Does he ever just rap it straight up or his voice always got that heavy effect on it? Is he pulling a Randy Marsh?

I want to know what those two guys who came out on stage said to him and if they were out there telling him people were being hurt in the crowd? He kind of dismissed them after they said something to him.

18. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

Lip syncing on top of it all...

I wouldn't pay five dollars to watch that ****.

ferrari77 and Jturbofuel like this.
  19. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

don’t know where u been brother but an Artist is not the guy who stops a show. Blame it on his manager. His agent. Etc.

20. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I don't care to go through my own post history but if someone else wants to they are welcome to do it. I said a while ago I've been around him a decent amount of times and he's a b****. I'll leave it there

ferrari77 and LosPollosHermanos like this.