1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Travis Johnson traded

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Stevierebel, Aug 31, 2009.

1. No Worries

No Worries Member

I heard he lost his day job.

2. No Worries

No Worries Member

Okoye hasn't played any better than Travis Johnson. This might be his wake up call or he will be next.

3. gucci888

gucci888 Member

Glad to see another Casserly bust pick gone. With that said, pretty suprised to see him traded since our DT situation is kinda iffy. But I think with Amobi, Robinson, Okam, and Cody, we might have enough to work with.

We're really gonna need Amobi to play well this season.

4. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I doubt it. He is Rick Smith and Gary Kubiak's guy so he will get plenty of more chances. They also will use his age as a excuse. DelJuan will finally get the chance he deserves and the other spot will go to Amobi likely.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

I saw him at Carrabba's once. His whole family was wearing his jersey. Pretty funny.

But he sucked.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

I heard Kubiak addressing that question and saying that moving Smith inside is NOT going to happen. Barwin isn't an every down guy and may be too small to be a full time DE, so Smith is there to stay.

7. Rashmon

Rashmon Member

I think the play of Cody and Okam made this move possible. I don't see moving Smith inside permanently.

8. gucci888

gucci888 Member

Smith won't move inside permanently but I could see him moving inside with Barwin at DE for passing downs or in certain situations. A combo of Mario, Okoye, Smith, and Barwin would be a very nice pass rushing unit.

9. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I agree with that. However, I would replace Okoye with Tim Bulman inside. Bulman was a tackle in college and with the Arizona Cardinals. It would leave you with a small front but those would be your four best pass rushers IMO.

10. emjohn

emjohn Member

Correct - but there are no passing downs so long as teams are able to put Smith, Okam, and Okoye on the grass each and every rushing down. That's what's so alarming at the moment.

I did expect them to keep Travis since he is a fair space eater for rushing situations, but kudos for them if they kicked him out for never caring or trying. 6th round pick is at least a slight notch above the nothing you get for cutting him tomorrow.

Hooray for one of the last Casserly disasters being gone.

Hooray for a classic cut-the-check, no professional pride guy being gone.

Hopefully the D-Line picks up the intensity - allowing a 60% effort guy like Johnson to start sent a bad message, especially to a young guy like Okoye.

Evan

11. percicles

percicles Member

Just making sure no one forgets. We passed up Derrick Johnson for this trash.

12. MadMax

MadMax Member

Travis really endeared himself to the fans here. He was like one of the family around the MadMax house. He'll be missed for sure. Keep it real, T-Bone!

13. Baqui99

Baqui99 Member

Don't forget Pro Bowl OT from OU, Jammal Brown.

14. Refman

Refman Member

Yes, I recall the endless stories about Travis (or as you call him T-Bone) teaching the little Maxes how to half ass plays and then end up with an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

Great stuff. I'll miss it.

15. MadMax

MadMax Member

what would we have done without him?

16. Berkmaniac

Berkmaniac Member

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

Even though its a losing battle, I defend TJ on that one still.

The guy basically came within a micrometer of having his career ended.

I don't blame him for popping off about it.

18. gucci888

gucci888 Member

I remember hearing on the radio that Casserly did not think Brown could play OT in the NFL. I still can't believe he was our GM for that long.

19. MadMax

MadMax Member

Quick update from the MadMax house:

we're coping. we've learned to appreciate the little things. while we remember TJ in all that we do each day...damn, so many ways he impacted our lives...we're learning to smile instead of cry as we remember. we will never forget.

20. msn

msn Member

While he didn't have to act like a thug in response, I'm with you on this. Green made a dirty play.