1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Traveling to South Africa

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by airbulllard, Jun 2, 2009.

1. airbulllard

airbulllard Contributing Member

anybody been to south africa recently or planning on going in the near future?

i'm going to go for the world cup in 2010 and was wondering about a few things that maybe people here have dealt with.

1. shots or vaccinations? Malaria, TB, cholera are some i read up on, but none of these seem like they are mandatory. i won't be taking any chances though.

2. the best tourist/sight seeing spots?

anyone else here going for the world cup??

2. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would kill to go to the World Cup. I do have close friends that are South African and they've told me the usual: Cape Town is beautiful and avoid Johannesburg.

3. airbulllard

yeah this will definitely be a costly trip but it's worth it to travel with my team while i'm still young and mobile. probably will be the last time i go out of continent to go travel for the world cup.

is there any specific things in cape town that i should go see/do?

4. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

Table Mountain is cool

5. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

not to derail your thread or anything, but I don't need any vaccination for egypt, right?

6. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

I plan to go, I need to start saving/planning though.

The confederations cup is going to be later this month, that should give us a vague idea of what people can expect.

7. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Do you have tickets already?

8. dmc89

dmc89 Member

I went 6 years ago for the Cricket World Cup haha

This site below was very useful:

http://www.southafrica.net/sat/content/en/us/home

Also, get the malaria shot just in case (apparently the situation is better) because it's just not worth it especially in the countryside areas.

Lastly, the car situation was terrible when I was there; there were many carjackings throughout the city on a daily basis and it was dangerous acting too 'touristy' (definitely hide your camera, especially the SLRs).

9. Steve_Francis_rules

I was in South Africa for a couple of weeks last year. I spent three days in Kruger National Park. I would really recommend that you spend a few days there if you have the time. In my time there, I was able to see more than 70 wild animal species, including four of the big five (sadly, I didn't see any lions).

10. airbulllard

yeah i was able to get tickets from the lottery on fifa.com

11. Jugdish

Jugdish Member