1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Traveling to Boston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ths balla, Aug 17, 2015.

1. ths balla

ths balla Member

I will be traveling to Boston with my girlfriend for 4 days in September to visit some family and check out some sights.

Was wondering if you all had some suggestions on places to see/eat/drink etc....My family lives in Rowley so we were thinking of taking the train a couple times to North Station which is a $10 fair. We also want to do some nature activities, see historic sights, as well as check out some cool spots at night to grab a drink. Thanks for your help!

2. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Shame nobody has responded to this yet because Boston is such an awesome city. Went to school there for four years and I miss it already.

Honestly my favorite thing to do around Boston is just to walk around, and everything is so close it's easy. Boston common, the Harbor area.. and there is a nice Seaport District that has a bunch of really cool restaurants in a really up and coming neighborhood.

If you want nightlife I'd take the "T" down to Kenmore and there are a bunch of bars around Fenway Park.

1 person likes this.
  3. Jontro

Jontro Member

I read about how the Bostonians/Bostonites/Bostonesians(?) got their accent. Interesting stuff.

4. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Go to the Boston Anthenaeum and ask about the book made of human skin. It's a real thing. It isn't on display or anything but if you ask about it you can see it.

5. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

If it's late September pack a light jacket as it starts to get cooler than it is in Houston.

Check out Cambridge and the Harvard area. Beacon Hill is also nice.

For nature stuff, you might want to visit Walden Pond in Concord, MA. You'll have to drive over there as it is 20 miles west of Boston. It is known and written about by conservationist Henry David Thoreau.

For general American history, there are plenty of walking and trolley tours.

1 person likes this.
  6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You have Cambridge with Harvard and MIT to walk around. Harvard is a beautiful campus. You have the Boston Aquarium which is fun during the summer. Beacon Hill is nice with the narrow cobble stoned streets which you do not see much of in the States. Faneuil Hall marketplace is always booming especially during the summer with street performers, interesting side shops and great food. If you want some nature actives within Boston, I suggest renting a kayak on the Charles River. If you want to do some serious nature activities such as hiking you probably would need to go towards Western Mass or New Hampshire. If you have time I suggest going to White Mountain national park in New Hampshire. I just climbed Mt. Washington last summer and it was a hell of an experience.

#6 fchowd0311, Aug 17, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

The city is great. The citizens are assholes. Welcome to Massachusetts.

MadMax likes this.
  8. Mr. Brightside

Boston probably has the rudest drivers I've encountered in America. I've lived all across the East Coast including NY / NJ and Boston area drivers are easily the shortest tempered.

9. fchowd0311

93 South heading to Boston... What an f'n nightmare. Driving anywhere around Boston and the surrounding areas is a nightmare without a gps. You could drive on one road for 5 miles and without noticing it, the name of that road changed 5 times. The layout of the streets are web shaped rather than grid shaped in Houston.

10. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

hopefully someone will give you a better suggestion on a good place to eat other than legal sea foods. it's just a glorified papas at best. was recommended the aquarium, but you can see more here at moody in galveston. school campuses were nice. hop on/off trolleys are convenient instead of public transit which was tiresome. isabella stewart gardner museum is worth checking out.

went there in early august for a few days after spending several days in provincetown (of course). enjoyed my time there more. people were more friendly there and it's more... festive. :grin:

1 person likes this.
  11. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Sounds like Boston is a piece of **** city with ******* drivers and rude ass people

12. fchowd0311

I would say almost every major city has that problem. At least with Boston, it's possible to avoid driving yourself and solely rely on public transportation. Out of all the major cities I've visited in the U.S, Boston is the most beautiful and unique.

13. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I am a Boston native. Grew up in Boston. Live in Boston.

It sucks. Too many assholes like me in and around the city.

Our only redeeming quality is that we are excellent drivers.

#13 Zboy, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  14. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Check out the Harpoon brewery.

Go to Belle Isle Seafood in Winthrop,MA (right by Logan Airport)

If you a few hours to spare, ,make the drive to Springfield and check out the Basketball Hall of Fame. It's pretty cool.

1 person likes this.
  15. ths balla

ths balla Member

Haha yea I was getting worried there for a second but appreciate all the information so far.

16. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

This thread here isn't even three months old yet.

17. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Check out Harvard, go into the math department and write on the blackboard. Go to the local bar and pick up chicks and yell out to some yuppie......you like apples? Then go see a cool shrink

18. Mr. Brightside

Ya, but OP is visiting Boston in September. The guy in the other thread was visiting Boston in July. Big difference!

19. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

If you mean weather wise, then not really.

July is obviously warmer but September is still nice up here. Mostly mid-high 60s and low 70s.

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yeah that shrink hung himself.