1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Traveling Alone (to foreign places)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Big MAK, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Anyone every done it? My work schedules allows me a week off every 6 weeks, and my father in law works for American Airlines, so I'm able to fly standby for very cheap (wife and I just got back from the UK and flew first round trip for about $400/each).

I'm thinking about going to Oktoberfest. I've got a buddy in Berlin and he may or may not be able to make it to Munich... but I kinda still want to go if he can't.

I've never traveled by myself to a foreign place, but I dont think it would be that bad. Thoughts, suggestions? My only concern is that while siteseeing alone is one thing, sitting around drinking beer at oktoberfest is very different. I'd just have to make some random friends I guess.

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

If you need me to go let me know.

3. 713

713 Member

4. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

I wouldn't worry at all. Are you a shy person? Like you said make some new friends, just go up to some people that look friendly and say, "hey, came from america, care if it hang out with you guys?"

I am sure a bunch of drunk people would be more than happy to include you.

5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Claiming you're American works well in some places, and doesn't work well in others.

If you're in Germany, just let the drunk people know that you've monitored their phone calls and internet traffic for weeks and based on that you're sure that you'll all get along.

6. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Exactly, all Germans are really stupid and would totally be pissed at american citizens for things the government did.

Hell, why am I even in Germany? Did you hear about what they did to the Jews? Every German ever is the most terrible person ever.

7. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Wow, AA's employee policy extends to in-laws?!:eek:

No wonder I hardly ever get upgraded...

8. bigtexxx

bro seriously. turn the sarcasm meter on

I used to work in Munich and have spent a lot of time in other cities around the country.

9. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

you too?

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

Typical Bayern fan... Liverpool is the better team.

11. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Stay at hostels...you will meet people. I did six months backpacking in China and Europe. Great experience.

12. dmc89

dmc89 Member

I do it from time to time. It depends on what kind of person you are, and how confident you are being alone when others around you have friends and family. I lean introvert, but I love socializing with others every weekend if possible.

The trips abroad where I'm going for personal reasons (i.e. buying hard-to-find electronics in Tokyo which require hours of research and testing in the store), I prefer going solo. For most occasions, I loved traveling with my ex-fianceƩ. I felt uncomfortable in nice restaurants, theaters, or even pubs without her. People are also more open toward you when you have a woman by your side lol.

Attending music festivals or similar events is always a blast with a group of friends. I remember at one drinking festival this guy was sitting by himself. It did look somewhat weird given everyone there knew one another.

13. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

If you speak the language of whatever country that you're traveling to then thats fine but I would not want to go to a foreign country by myself if I do not speak their language.

14. bigtexxx

in Europe and even many other places around the world, you're fine with English. In Europe you're fine with English even if you get off the beaten path (the farther north in Europe, the better the English)...in other parts of the world, it depends. Latin America and Asia outside of the tourist locations you better speak the language

15. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

I got by in Paraguay with little to no Spanish skills, and that's about as remote in Latin America as you can get.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That's basically true with regard to Europe (and you find people speaking English in unusual places in Southern Europe, as well, just not as many). In Asia, any educated Indian speaks English (same in Pakistan), and that's true in Hong Kong, at least in my experience. I've been to both and didn't have any problems. In other parts of Asia, it is definitely a mixed bag. I've never had a serious problem with language anywhere I've been, though. Make an effort to speak at least some of the local lingo, and it is greatly appreciated. Traveling alone? I spent nearly 6 months in Europe traveling alone, although to be fair, I was constantly meeting people and making friends. That was back when I was single, and many of the friends were chicks. Since the OP is happily married, that probably doesn't interest him.

OP? You will have a great time. Just do it! Consider it a scouting expedition, getting the lay of the land for a later trip with your significant other. It's great that you can get deals on airfare.

17. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

No

I have traveled extensively all over Asia and speak very little of any Asian language and have gotten along just fine. Times I have needed someone that spoke English for help I always find someone. Made many friends that way too.

To the OP. I have taken solo trips all over the world and always have a great time. I am an extrovert though and have no problems meeting people. The only advice I would give is to be aware of your surroundings at all times and know the laws and basic customs. Some things that are OK here may be the death penalty there.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Excellent advice to anyone traveling overseas.

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Stay in a hostel like someone said. Plenty of people to meet there. Especially during Oct fest.