1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Travel] Where to Airbnb in New York City for 5 days?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Faust, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Faust

Faust Member

I'm visiting NYC for the 1st time with a budget of $120/night. What's the sweet spot neighborhood? What subway stop or street intersection should I pick an Airbnb?

I think Manhattan, Brooklyn or Queens is where I should stay. I want to be somewhere safe and easy to get to by car, train, walking. I know the farther I get away from Manhattan prices drop, but I don't want to waste a lot of time going back and forth from New Jersey or someplace far.

btw I'm flying into and out of La Guardian airport at 3:30 pm and will have a carry-on with personal item. Should I take an Uber or taxi or train with my stuff?

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You ask a broad question and the answer to it unfortunately - it depends.

Every neighborhood has it's plusses and minuses, it's good parts and bad. But overall, you want to make sure that where you say isn't just within 10 minutes of one subway line but many. The exception is the L train which cuts across most lines and runs frequently. Some lines are slow as heck though.

In Brooklyn the neighborhoods with appeal are Clinton Hill, Boerum Hill, Fort Greene, Prospect Heights and Brooklyn Heights. If you want cheaper, you can look at Crown Heights, Lefferts, Ditmas Park, Kensington, similar. If you want expensive try Williamsburg - the hipster capital of the world. In queens, you have LIC and Astoria - those are the key neighborhoods with lots of bars and restaurants. Always do a good search on the address of the place to see what's nearby, doesn't hurt to do a street view either.

Manhattan is pretty good wherever, but if you are on a budget, expect to find yourself in Harlem - which has tons of bars and restaurants but again, it's in scattered pockets.

As for transport, if you don't have a lot of stuff, I'd take the AirTrain to Jamaica then you can transfer to the A.

#2 Sweet Lou 4 2, Aug 2, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

There is no train from LaGuardia. Unless you are comfortable with buses I'd take a taxi from the airport especially if you have a decent amount of luggage.

Can't really go wrong anywhere in Manhattan, especially south of Central Park.

Oh and Jersey isn't that far, you can stay right across the river and it's a quick PATH ride over (and you can use your New York Subway card on the PATH so it's really easy.

1 person likes this.
  4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ah, I thought he had JFK - yeah from LaGuardia you can take a taxi but that can run you over $30 easily if you arrive at 330 on a weekday you could get hit with a $60 cab ride to many parts of Brooklyn.

Probably best for him to take a bus if all he has is carry-on. They have airport shuttle buses to PA bus station on 42nd for $15 bucks and local buses can get you to the 7 line which takes one straight into the city.

5. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

You can get some pretty decent lodging in that price range in Jersey City across the river. Like posted earlier the PATH train will take you into Manhattan in less than 10 minutes from either the Newport or Exchange Place stop.

6. da_juice

da_juice Member

Yeah, Hoboken is good too- but might be expensive. Some of the cities in Jersey are closer to midtown Manhattan than the other boroughs, although it is always nice to be in the city.

Like Sweet Lou said, you ask a bit of a broad question. Parts of Harlem are pretty gentrified.

7. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Keep in mind that you can now take a shared Uber for $10 anywhere in Manhattan south of 96th Street.

8. hvic

hvic Member

I did a airbnb in Brooklyn Height and it was a peaceful and fun environment and was only like under 15 minutes on the subway to the city. Have a safe trip man