1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Travel] Going to Boston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jared Novak, May 26, 2015.

1. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

I'll be traveling to Boston with my wife around the second week of July. Looking for some ideas of things to do in and around Boston. I've never been, so this a great opportunity to see some new sites. I'm looking to get tickets for the Sox-Yankees game on that weekend, so I have that covered.

Any ideas of places to visit, things to see, places to eat are appreciated. Thanks.

2. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Walk the Freedom Trail starting from Boston Common and you'll pretty much see all of the historic sites. Start early in the morning and you can knock it out in a day or if you take your time two days. For a meal check out the Oyster House along the trail, said to be America's oldest restaurant.

The JFK presidential library and museum is nice.

If you weren't going to the game I'd say take the Fenway Park tour but if you have time you may want to do the tour as well as go to the game.

3. watashi315

watashi315 Member

Boston is not a very large city like New York, so you can easily cover the most basic sights in an hour or two. I really enjoy those free walking tours and the last time I was there, did the Free Tours by Foot. You can have a tour guide take you around the major sights and explain the history behind it. Go to http://www.freetoursbyfoot.com/boston-tours/ to book a free walking tour. It's lots of fun and I really enjoyed it!

Boston's dining scene is rather uninspired. Try to the Boston Claim Chowder near by the Waterfront. Go to Boston's Little Italy in Northend. It's actually WAY BETTER than NYC's Little Italy. The Italian food there is more authentic and not just Italian American.

We tried the "Daily Catch", one of the more popular Italian places there. Go early or expect a 30-40 mins wait. Also, try the Cannolis at Mike's Pastry right across the street. Since they're really famous for their cannolis, also expect a long wait time. Both are worth a try!

4. pchan

pchan Member

I really enjoyed Atlantic Fish Company in back bay area. The Boston Tea Party museum was very good too if you are into history.

5. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Seconded on the Atlantic Fish rec. You can also try one of the many Legal Seafood restaurants - chain, but still very solid.

Skip the line at Mike's Pastry and go down the street to Modern Pastry for cannolis.

Cocktails at Drink

Lobster Roll at Neptune Oyster

6. pd_

pd_ Member

+1 on neptune oyster's lobster roll; it's a little pricey but well worth it imo. I had the lobster roll at alive and kickin too and it was good as well but neptune's was better.

7. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Lobster roll at Belle Isle seafood. (In nearby Winthrop, very close to Logan)

Also the black rose is a cool Irish pub to check out.

If you're renting a car drive to Springfield and check out the basketball hall of fame

8. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Stay at The Liberty Hotel (it's in a former jail) or at the Lenox Hotel (they have a a really great low key attached bar called City Bar and a great attached restaurant called City Table).

Dinner at Lolita (order the garlic lime chicken; ask for double brussel sprouts, they're that good).

Dinner (Italian) at Parla in the North End.

Dinner at Alden & Harlow in Harvard Square.