1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Travel] Aloha! Looks like we're going to Hawaii

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SwoLy-D, Jul 3, 2009.

1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

Aloha! :cool:

Looks like the SwoLy Wahine, the SwoLy Keikis and yours truly are going to Hawaii. *correct me if you know the proper way to say that ;)

We will be there from Monday to Friday. We actually thought about going there for the 4th of July celebration, but we had other things to do here that prevented us from planning it for then.

I know we're doing the usual Pearl Harbor, USS Arizona, some snorkeling, some cruising on the Pacific waters, some sunbathing, and some volcano visiting.

Several people who already went there alread suggested the Polynesian dancers, local exotic restaurants, doing the helicopter tour, etc.

Any suggestions? :eek:

2. TheBigAristotle

Damn son, DEEZ NUTZ!

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

^ Ok, but what part of Hawaii is that? :confused:

;) Nice.

4. TheBigAristotle

It's hidden very carefully underneath the active volcano layer. :)

5. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Member

Speaking of DEEZ NUTZ, what ever happened to Tmac640?

Hasn't posted in months.

6. Uprising

Uprising Member

If you get a chance to hit up other islands, make Maui a priority.

I had a great time there last year.

7. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

yeah maui's awesome.

8. right1

right1 Member

I suggest you eat nothing but poi, ono and pineapples all week. You'll be fine.

9. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Member

You guys will have a blast...it's most beautiful place I've been to. I want to go back soon.

You guys can do many things...Dole planation, North Shore, Kuala Ranch, other beaches, Diamond Head, Wakkai beach and etc...assuming you're going to Oahu.

Have fun!

10. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

That's a movie title..

"The Swolys go to Hawaii :eek: :eek: :cool: :p :cool: :D "

11. TheBigAristotle

Eh, it might get me banned... maybe not. But I am tmac640, lol. Seriously, who else has trademarked that phrase? :]

12. across110thstreet

For volcano visiting, the big Island of Hawaii hosts Volcanoes National Park, home of Mt. Kilauea. There is an old lodge steps from the visitor center called Volcano House, http://www.volcanohousehotel.com/,

Where you can literally stay overnight on the edge of a crater that is part of one of the most active volcanoes in the world...

There is a great restaurant that looks down into the crater http://www.volcanohousehotel.com/Dining.htm

And a fireplace within the lodge that has a fire that hasn't been extinguished in over 100 years. There is someone tending the fire around the clock, adding fresh firewood.

Even if you don't stay there, you should check out the restaurant and the lodge .

You can hike the trails surrounding the volcano and one of the coolest places to go is into the lava tubes. there is a point where the artificial lighting stops and you are encouraged to explore the rest of the cave-like tubes at your own peril and with a flashlight. it's pretty creepy, but lots of fun...

Then you can drive South to the black sand beaches, further south for the green sand beaches, and finally to the Southernmost Point of the United States.

Don't get me wrong, Honolulu is great for tourism, but I did all that when I was a kid. For a real adventure, it's all about the Big Island, Hilo side.

13. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Member

Really? Why did you make a new account?

14. aboinamedray

aboinamedray Member

if youre going to oahu, then you gotta go kailua beach. its only about a 30 minute drive assuming youre saying along waikiki. i personally dont like waikiki beach that much as its way too crowded and the beach isnt in all that great of shape.
    theres some great beaches on the north shore too. the island is so small that you can afford to just drive up there along the north shore and just stop and any beach that looks good to you

15. Rock Jelly

Rock Jelly Member

Yeah go to Kailua if you like quieter beaches on Oahu. It's not as crowded as Waikiki.

If you're going to visit the volcano on the big island make sure you have plenty of time to go b/c once it gets dark you can see **** and those volcano rocks are really sharp. Also bring some gloves(sharp rocks) and a good flashlight if you plan to be walking around the volcano at night.

Have a good trip!

16. Sajan

Sajan Member

hahaha...cue up some wierd music..

:D :) ;) :cool: :p :rolleyes: :confused: :mad: :eek: :(

^^ funny to mad to sad?

17. MadMax

MadMax Member

i'll echo this. best vacation ever was to maui. so beautiful there.

18. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Member

Totally agree, me and wife spent 2 weeks there and did everything there was to do on Maui, take the drive to Hana

19. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Yes, Maui Wowie

20. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Typing this from Oahu right now, let me be the first to welcome you!

I love Kauai, mainly because I've got a wing of my family over there; Waimea Canyon is still one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen in my life. Any of the outer Islands are pretty cool, though if you've got kids, you'd probably be better off in Kona or on Maui, as the hotels are more expansive and luxurious there.

As for my hometown of Honolulu, I'd say if you want to do snorkeling, Hanauma Bay can't be beat; just get there early! Kualoa Ranch is also very fun; my high school held their cross country invitational meet there every year, so I've got some fond memories of the ranch and the beach right across the street there.

Not sure if you want to try surfing or anything, but best would be any of the south shore beaches; I think North Shore is gonna be totally flat this week. If you do decide to head out there, you have to go to the shrimp trucks around Kahuku area; sweet corn is amazing out there as well. My personal favorite is Sherwood (Waimanalo Beach Park) right next to Bellows; that's probably one of the best boogie boarding spots on the island, there's no rocks, and lots of shorebreak. Just went yesterday, and while there's no waves, its a great place to chill. Be sure to stop at Keneke's plate lunch as well; great hole in the wall place with real local food. Saba and pork guisantes/adobo is great there.

As for hiking, both Diamond Head and Paradise Park are easy, beautiful and quite memorable; my house is actually about 5 minutes away from Paradise Park, so I have to plug it as being a truly memorable experience. Makapu'u Lighthouse is also a nice trail; it's right up against the sea. Be sure to buy lunch in advance, though.

For food, at a minimum, be sure to try the following things during your stay: Kalua Pork, Lau Lau, Haupia, Loco Moco, Shave Ice, Shoyu Chicken, Poke, Chicken Long Rice. If you're feeling adventurous, try Squid Luau, Poi, Lomi Salmon. Individual restaurants: Rainbow's and Waiola Shave Ice in Kapahulu, Yama's Fish Market in Moiliili, Boots and Kimos in Kailua (Breakfast), Zippy's Chili (everywhere), Teddy's Bigger Burgers (Waikiki and Kailua + others). For dinner, Todai (Waikiki) and Makino Chaya (Aloha Tower) are both large, buffet style Japanese places that can accommodate kids really easily.

Hope that helps! Have a great time during your trip; if you need any more advice when you're here, keep posting!