1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[travel advice] Going to Paris, France

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CrazyDave, Mar 1, 2011.

1. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I'm generally kind of a hermit and pretty private, and have hesitated to post this for various reasons, but thought I'd seek some advice from those that have been to Paris. Our 20th anniversary coming up, and the wife and I, economy budgets and bills be damned, are taking a trip there soon.

I'm not much of a tourist, I generally dislike a lot of the "hot spots" on most vacations and instead like tailoring a trip like this around things more interesting to me personally, and so I thought I might ask if anyone had any lesser known things of interest to do in Paris.

For example, while we will probably see the Eiffel Tower, it doesn't really pique my interest. I know what it looks like. Same with the Mona Lisa. We will see the L' Ouvre for a while, but since it all can't be seen in the time we are there, we may skip seeing the more obvious choices to make sure we experience things that are more interesting to us (medieval or Egyptian) . I have an interest in architecture and especially castles, and so am hoping to see something like that, beyond Versailles. We may not go to the tomb of Napoleon, but I do think I'd like to visit Père Lachaise Cemetery and maybe the Les Catacombes.

Anyway, there's a wealth (barrage) of information online, but I thought I'd pry the minds here and see if something fantastic might be suggested.... or even just a little advice from anyone who is in the know. Thanks in advance for anyone with some constructive

2. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

they have boat cruises with dinner. about as romantic as it gets.

Versailles is pretty cool definitely huge and definitely recommended.

You can spend a while in paris and not cover it all.

Walking around sacre couer area is nice. Walking around the river near notre dame and and the latin quarter is nice.Even monmarte. There are plenty of walks where you can soak in Paris and appreciate what it is. I might look into that since paris is amazing to just walk around.

Musee d Orsay has some great impressionist pieces. Plenty of shopping at galleries lafayette and walking around les halles. pere lachais is pretty boring and out of the way.Not much to edith piaf or oscar wildes grave. If you are trying to score some hash at the jim morrison grave save your time and get it at les halles.

The louvre does have plenty of egyptian artifacts and some would argue too many.

Fountainbleu is pretyy cool but not a castle -more a chateau:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Chateau_Fontainebleau.jpg

also out of town. Unless you are there a while I would hit Versaille first.

What else are you looking for?How long are you going?

Paris has some great areas that can be well priced yet still nice. Ecole militare area comes to mind. As does the area near place victor hugo.

1 person likes this.
  3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

1. Paris sucks when it is cold out.

2. If you've got the time, I recommend getting out of the town for part of the trip and seeing some of non-Paris France. It's not a long trip to get to some other storied towns like Chartres, Orleans, Tours, Reims, even Normandy. It's a different experience from Paris.

1 person likes this.
  4. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I am hoping to get to see Musee d' Orsay, but we are only there for 5 days or so and there's a lot to see and do. The Fountainbleu looks nice, but not castle-y enough for what I'd like to see.

Can't control the weather, and this is when we are going. We are going other places in the vicinity, but I've never been to Paris and thus the thread. Thanks though.

5. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Say hi to Galliano.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RCQupzwXS0A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Other online resources will be better, but here's some quick thoughts:

1)Forget going to the top of the Eiffel Tower. Too long, too expensive, too over-hyped. Go to the Tour Montparnasse or the Arc de Triomphe instead.

2)Use bicycles to get around in addition to the Metro. Don't use tourist buses or taxis.

3)Don't look like a tourist (too much). You won't be a native, but avoid the fanny-pack, running shoes, baseball cap, and hooded sweatshirt. I always get better service in Europe when I dress business professional. However, some places welcome the typical-looking tourist so your call.

4)Don't go to bars and restaurants that are tourist-friendly, instead ask a local for recommendations. Better prices, better food.

5)Be wary of gypsies and Middle Eastern-looking gangs in side streets.

6)Northeastern Paris is a very laid back place, no tourist traps there. Good places to eat as well. Stroll with your wife down the Canal promenades there. Belleville is another quirky, interesting neighborhood.

7)Chateau de Breteui, Chateau de Chantilly, St Denis's Basilica were cool Medieval places to visit.

1 person likes this.
  7. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

You will be happy if you go to the louvre and musee d orsay.

when are you going? Everywhere sucks when it is cold/wet. Paris is about walking around the eiffel tower or champs elysee near arc de triomphe so bad weather can be more noticeable . If its wet and cold it does make it not as nice. with that in mind you may want to have an indoor plan and an outdoor plan.

If you can go outdoor definitely walk around and see - monmarte sacre ceour,latin quarter( near odeon metrostop),arc de triomphe to place concord,around notre dame. If you are inside go to galleries lafayette, versailles has inside stuff and so does the louvre.

where else?

my paris list would be:
    1) eiffel tower
    2) champs elysee arc de triomphe. You can walk to place concord too.
    3) notre dame area
    4) latin quarter area ( dinner walk around)
    5) louvre and surrounding area
    6) versailles
    7) sacre couer area/ monmatre
    8) musee d orsay
    9) les halles/ pont neuf /palais royal walk around
    10) st germain (bars)
    11)old opera area (galleries lafayette)

i would either do taxi or metro. The metro system is well done there

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Beware of pickpockets in the metro. Quartier latin, just stroll around and soak up the atmosphere...have a coffee in one of the cafes. If you are into that kind of stuff, you could go to the Buddha Bar. It's expensive, but "cool". Hope you will have a great trip!

1 person likes this.
  9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I can't believe Moulin Rouge has not been mentioned

It is by far the best experience I have had in Paris. Its just a great show, a MUST SEE. Just slip the host 20 Euros and they will seat you right in the front row. We were so close that the stage was banging against our table.

Normandy is apparently a pretty fun side trip as well.

I'm not a huge fan of Paris, definitely the most overrated city in Europe. Also be aware that the stereotype of the French being rude, especially to Americans, is completely true.

1 person likes this.
  10. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

My son writes an American's Abroad travel blog and works in Paris for this outfit: http://fattirebiketours.com/paris. They do bike, Segway and walking tours at many of the spots you or others have mentioned.

11. Masters Flickvan

Masters Flickvan Contributing Member

We are not really into doing typical touristy things either, but it is kind of difficult not to while in Paris.
    We really, REALLY enjoyed our day trip out to the Loire valley. If you enjoy architecture you will LOVE going on the day trip called “Chateaux Country”. It is provided by Cityrama and I think the price for that day trip is 170 Euro. It is well worth the money.
    http://www.pariscityrama.com/visit-french-provinces/visit-loire-valley-castles/visit-chateaux-country/50A134.html

We have tried several other day trips, but liked the Loire Valley castle tour the best. It is also nice to get a break from the busy city life for a day.

Another tip would be to purchase a few days access to the hop on /hop off bus. It will take you around the city and they have 3 or 4 different routes you can ride. We like the company called Paris L'Open Bus, but they have other options as well.

1 person likes this.
  12. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

The Eifel Tower will blow your mind. Do not miss it. You say you know what it looks like, but I bet you don't know what color it is:
    brown.

Sit at a cafe near a busy roundabout and watch all the accidents. I saw three, including a crushed bike, in an hour.

The best way to get around to the touristy places is to get a pass on one of the double decker buses. You can get on and off whenever you want all day.

Get some French bread at a bakery. Just bread and butter.

13. red

red Contributing Member

I love me some Paris. The Louvre is free first Sunday of the month so maybe plan for that. I lived in Paris for a month a few years back. Be cautious of doggie poo as you walk the streets late at night. As far as places to eat...

Laduree
    "http://www.laduree.fr" www.laduree.fr This is the first place to go in Paris. Pistachio macaroons. This is a wonderful spot for lunch or a late night snack. The one on Champs Elysees is open late, Other Locations include:

Laduree Laduree
    75, Avenue des Champs Elysees 16, rue Royale
    01.40.75.08.75 01.42.60.21.79

Laduree Laduree
    21, rue Bonaparte 62, Boulevard Haussmann
    01.44.07.64.87 01.42.82.40.10

Le Meurice (Located in the Hotel Meurice)
    228, rue de Rivoli
    Nice place to stop for afternoon hot chocolate or tea in the salon. The bar is great for a glass of champagne or cocktail. The chef Yannick Alleno is the hottest chef in Paris right now and it’s a great place to go for a 55 Euro three-course lunch. (It might be more expensive now as the chef just earned his third star). If you go for lunch have the “diy Millefeuille” for dessert.

Le Tour de Monthlhery (Chez Denise)
    5 rue des Prouvaires
    Reservation only.

Prunier
    16 av Victor Hugo
    A caviar bar, great for lunch, has the best seafood, oysters, salmon and lobster.

Les Bookinist
    53 quai des Grands Augustins
    A Guy Savoy Bistro.

La Table De Lucullus
    129, rue Legendre
    www.nicolas-vagnon.com
    This is a small, fun, very casual place. Only two staff members, the chef and one server. The chef Nicholas come to the table and tells you what he is cooking for the evening from three large chalk boards on the wall.

Aux Lyonnais
    32 rue Saint-Marc
    Also a very good bistro.

Mon Vieil Ami
    69, rue Saint-Louis-en-I’lle
    Alsace style bistro, very good.

Le Chiberta
    3, rue Arsene Houssaye
    Very modern room, beautiful food. A Guy Savoy Bistro.

Au Poule au Pot
    9 rue Vauvilliers
    Another old school bistro. Great if your jet lagged for it is open until 6:00 am, perfect place for a snack of roasted marrow bones.

Cap Vernet 
82, ave Marceau 
    Another wonderful restaurant for seafood.

La Truffiere
    4 rue Blainville
    Have dinner in the wine cave. Very beautiful and Romantic.

Ze Kitchen Gallerie
    (around the corner from Les Bookinists)
    4 rue des Rands Augustins
    01.44.32.00.32 Former chef of Les Bookinist opened this restaurant.

Chez George
    1 rue du Mail
    Traditional Bistro, fun for lunch.

Guy Savoy
    18, rue Troyon
    Three Star Michelin, if you want an extravagant evening. Great pre-fix lunch special.

Robert et Louise
    64 rue Vielle du Temple
    In the Marais, tiny, tiny, steak house.

L’Arpege
    84 rue de Vareene
    Three Star Michelin Vegetarian, (French Vegetarian, they still use Fish and Meat Stocks)
    Great Deal for Lunch.

L’astrance
    4 rue Beethoven
    Neighborhood restaurant, former chef of L’Arpege.

La Butte Chaillot
    110 av Kleber
    Another Guy Savoy Bistro

Pierre Gagnaire
    6 rue Balzac
    Best champagne and food marriage

Bath’s
    9 rue de la Tremoille
    Another neighborhood restaurant.

Chez Catherine
    65, rue de Provence
    01.45.26.72.88 Neighborhood Restaurant

La Regalade
    40 av Jean-Moulin
    For your Foie Gras Fix.

L’Ami Louis
    32, rue du Vert-bois

Benoit
    20, rue St Martin
75004 Paris

Le Bistro Paul Bert
    18, rue Paul Bert

2 people like this.
  14. Pushkin

Pushkin Member

There is some other good advice above. Since you mentioned a budget, I thought I would mention that renting an apartment is a lot cheaper than a hotel. My family did that last summer. While we had fun in Paris, we enjoyed the Loire Valley more.

1 person likes this.
  15. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

any recommendations for this? links?

What did you pay for the place you rented?

16. Pushkin

Pushkin Member

http://www.vacationinparis.com/
    We paid $205 per night for 1 bedroom flat about 6 blocks from the Tuileries, and d'Orsay. My wife and I slept on sleeper sofa in the living room and the kids slept on twins in the bedroom. It was small, but comfortable. It was also on the 6th floor so we had to always save a little energy for getting up the stairs.

17. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

Versailles is a bad ass place to go.

If you go to Notre Dame, there are 2 entrances. One goes in, one goes to the top. There's not a lot of people waiting in line to go to the top so you might miss it.

People there...suck. The older generation especially.

Get your self a navigo pass. It's probably best if you get zones 1-5 so you can get to Versailles.

There is a place across from the Eiffel tower, Chaliot Palais, which has a better view of the Eiffel.

In the Louvre, I like the Greek Sculptures the best. The Louvre is open later on Thursday nights and it's a bit more romantic.

1 person likes this.
  18. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

Red, that's almost all the Michelin Guide Restaurants in Paris.

19. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

When it's cold, hot chocolate here can't be beat: http://www.lamaisonduchocolat.com/en/#/home

If you're going to stay in the city, consider spending the money to have a "driver" show you around the city the first day, and try to see a bit of most of the districts. Keep track of the neighborhoods/areas that you found the most interesting. Then......for the rest of your trip, bundle up in comfortable and warm clothing that you feel your best in (in terms of comfort and style), then walk those areas that you found interesting. If you get cold, slip inside somewhere for a quick bite or drink. Don't get drunk, but keep a little buzz going. Don't languish in any one spot for too long. Pay lots of attention to your wife, and let her be the guide. It you're in the area of your hotel and you know you are heading back soon, buy her some flowers to carry to the room. If someone is rude to you, laugh it off.......it makes for a great story later. Keep an open mind. Seduce her.

1 person likes this.
  20. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Eat some french fries and French toast.

Careful when ordering. French bread is just called bread.

Stay away from the pancakes. They even know they are bad because the call them craps.

1 person likes this.