1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Transferring into UT Austin

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Pringles, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Pringles

Pringles Member

Some of ya'll may remember my last thread about applying to UT McComb. Here

Fast forward to now... I didn't get in. I'm currently in UT for advertising. I have no problem with this besides the fact that people with lower class rank, lower SAT scores, lower GPA, less EC activities in my school got in to McCombs. :confused: I am confident that I will be able to get a GPA higher than 3.6 for my first year and transfer into business.

Here is the problem...

Mi amigo and I were planning to be roomates freshman year. Yesterday we found out he didn't get in at all. He got CAP'd. (Honestly, I don't understand the admission proccess at all. I can't tell you how many less qualified kids in my school - Memorial - found out they got into UT yesterday)

Anyways, he still wants to attend UT for business. We knew he'd be rejected for business, but we both thought he'd get in for undecided. What should he do now? It seems to us, that he can go to A&M, UTSA, or perhaps ACC (Austin Community College) for one year and then transfer.

Out of those three schools, which one should he go to? It seems like UTSA is safer, but if ACC is not a bad option - he may go that route. He and I could still dorm together (off campus - UT Towers) and ACC would be cheaper than both A&M and UTSA.

Also, he is confident that he'll get the perfect 4.0 GPA if he goes to ACC or UTSA.

Does anyone have any experience transferring into UT from ACC? Thanks for the help!

2. D-Lite

D-Lite Contributing Member

If he doesn't care about schools A&M>UTSA

If he truly wants to go to UT

Then UTSA> ACC/HCC

3. astros99

astros99 Contributing Member

Tell him you can't be his friend anymore because he didn't get into UT and then room with someone who got into UT

4. gatsby

gatsby Member

Sorry you didn't get into McCombs, but:

Major Congratulations, Go_Korea, on getting into Advertising at UT. You're in the #1 advertising/pr program in the nation.

In regards to your friend, if he does intend on transferring to UT, he should indeed go forward with the CAP program. He would receive automatic entrance into UT assuming he meets the GPA requirement; at ACC, there is no set GPA to meet and therefore the process is subjective.

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I think he should go to St. Edwards and see if he actually likes Austin.

6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

go to ACC, it's a joke all community colleges are, he should get 4.0 easily.

7. moose

moose Member

My friend didn't get into McComb's from high school. He went to ACC for 1 fall semester, got a 4.0 and got in for the Spring semester.

8. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Both of a friend's kids ended up getting into McComb's eventually; one went through the CAP at UTSA, one went through ACC. If you want your buddy to live in Austin, tell him to attend ACC and transfer.

9. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

UTSA would be automatic assuming he maintained a 3.3 i think (which should be pretty damn easy).

10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

you are wrong because mccombs only accepts fall transfers.

11. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

So it's that easy to transfer into McCombs? You can just rock it at a community college and transfer in?

12. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i used to take dumps in the red mccobms building. so much nicer than the history building bathrooms. next time someone is there go to the bathrooms on the 3rd floor (or whatever floor the cafeteria is on) - go to the last stall and see if the words "liberal arts s***ter" are still emblazoned on the wall.

1 person likes this.
  13. Jontro

Jontro Member

Cleverly disguised "I'm smarter than GlenRice" thread. ;)

Congrats on getting in. Enjoy college parties while you can.

14. nabeel623

nabeel623 Contributing Member

Go to ACC, get a 4.0 and transfer straight into McCombs. i've had friends transfer straight from community colleges into mccombs without any trouble.

mccombs doesnt care whether you went to a real university or a community college beforehand. Going to UTSA through CAP will make it easier for him to transfer into fine arts or undecided with a lower freshman GPA, but it won't make it any easier when it comes to transferring directly into McCombs. ACC=cheaper,get to live in austin, and probably a little easier.

15. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    It's pretty much that easy to get into *almost* any program at *most* public schools in the country regardless of their ranking or prestige. It's even easier when it comes to in state schools.

16. nabeel623

nabeel623 Contributing Member

17. gatsby

gatsby Member

Correct. They do no funnel any spring transfers; I know this as I was on its board.

18. gatsby

gatsby Member

Board of Admissions puts a significantly higher emphasis on CAP than any community college. Unless he gets a 4.0 through a community college, consider CAP the safer direction.

19. Pringles

Pringles Member

Thank ya'll for all the input and advice!

He is going to try to appeal, but I doubt it'll work.

Regardless, college can not come soon enough.

20. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

Even though I'm a Longhorn grad, I'm going to say that "McCombs or bust" is silly, and that going to a lesser school to try to transfer is very risky. Tell your friend to go to A&M. It's a great school. If he doesn't like it and he does well, he can transfer.