1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

transfer dvr recordings to external hard drive?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dantonv08, Mar 8, 2009.

Tags:
  1. dantonv08

dantonv08 Member

Is it possible transfer saved shows from a dish network dvr to an external hard drive?

2. DreamRoxCoogFan

i know theres a number that u can call to activate the usb, I dont know what it is. it shows up on those messages that pop up on the screen when ur dish is off or inactive

3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Member

There are ways, but it might require you to do some additional work on your end. Also, who's is your provider?

4. dantonv08

dantonv08 Member

dish network...

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

:D

I am interested to know how to get DVR'd stuff out of the Motorola DVR for AT&T U-verse... :eek: I'll see how you might be able to, Mr. danton, sir.

What model DVR do you have...? ;)

6. dantonv08

dantonv08 Member

the DISH Player DuoDVR 625....??

7. Uprising

Uprising Member

hmm, I'm curious about this if you are able to enlighten us.

8. Rockets34Legend

Also, can it be done for a DirecTV HD DVR (HR-20)?

9. glad_ken

glad_ken Member

You could connect your Dish network receiver to a TV tuner PC card, then record to your hard drive.

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

Sure, but I am thinking about getting content out that I have recorded WITHOUT outputting through "normal" connections like RCA, Composite, or Coaxial cables. :eek:

U-Verse peeps will have the Motorola VIP1216 DVR model. ( see http://connectedhome2go.com/2008/08/29/motorola-set-tops-for-the-new-u-verse-whole-home-dvr-service/ ) .

I found this here article: http://askville.amazon.com/SimilarQ...-Uverse-computer-data-USB-DVR-software-needed . It looks DOABLE. Check your models to see if you have FIREWIRE connection, dudes. ( specs for VIP1216 )

EDIT: FAIL. That's for a newer model of Motorola DVR with a FireWire port. :(

EDIT2: But for copying directly to the DVD, try http://www.xdimax.com/grex_faq/faq_howto.html#stbdvd . :)

#10 SwoLy-D, Mar 9, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  11. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

I'd like to know about DirecTV regular DVR. I'll have to find out the model number.

12. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Member

i know for the dish network vip 222 or whatever it was HD DVR you can transfer programs to a external usb drive.

there is a one-time 40 dollar fee to activate the feature you will have to call in and do. I never done it.

I wish there was a way for me to do that with my directv receiver. There are some things I want to keep that I recorded but I do not want to have it just stored on my dvr taking up space.

13. Rockets34Legend

Yeah, I got shows from '07 that I would love to get off the DVR....just wish I knew how. :(

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Some Dish Network boxes (722) will allow you to transfer shows from the DVR to an Archos media player. You cannot transfer shows recorded in HD and shows from some of the premium channels (e.g. HBO). Some movies from some premium channels (e.g. Starz) will transfer.

I do not think the 600 series of boxes allow transfer of DVR material to an Archos media player.

www.archos.com

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You can transfer the content to an external USB drive after paying the $40 activation fee, but you can only view it through the Dish Network box.

16. dantonv08

dantonv08 Member

that sucks....

17. Moe

Moe Member

I don't know about dish dvrs, but I have a directv dvr (HD), & I archieve shows to dvd all the time. I would think your dvr has S video and composite out. I have a panasonic dvd recorder. Some brands ( Sony for one) are sensitive to anti-copying flags and will not work. You have to play the program in real time, so usually I will set a show to play and record just before I go to work or go to bed. I have a standard dvr that I do this with, as well. There is a big difference in quality when I replay the dvd from the standard dvr and the HD dvr. The quality of picture of a recorded HD dvd (on standard dvd media) is almost as good as the original showing.

18. bladeage

bladeage Member

get a dvd recorder or something..