1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Training Camp begins...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Aznoob, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

Please lock if this is already posted...

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/Training_Camp_Begins-283735-34.html

HOUSTON - There's been a lot of talk - and rightfully so - about the Rockets' offseason additions of Ron Artest, Brent Barry and Joey Dorsey. Everybody wants to know the new guys; especially since their mere presence offers the promise and potential of bigger and better things.

And yet, while there's no denying the importance of that threesome, this Rockets team ultimately remains reliant upon the dynamic duo of Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming. They are the superstars, the lightning rods and the foundation upon which all else has been built. At the end of the season, fair or unfair, they'll receive the lion's share of the credit or blame for whatever fate befalls the team. Both players know and accept this. It comes with the job.

It's also why fans and media members devour and dissect every bit of information when it comes to their health. McGrady created a bit of a stir on media day when he revealed that his surgically-repaired left knee was only at about "75 to 80%" while his surgically-repaired left shoulder suffers from arthritis. To be sure, that's hardly ideal news for Rockets fans. But it's also worth noting that T-Mac spent the two weeks prior to training camp participating in scrimmages at the Toyota Center practice facility. So it's not as if we're talking about a player on his death bed here.

"I feel pretty good," says McGrady. "I aint ready to play, but as far as getting up and down the court, I can do that. My lateral movement is a little difficult right now and jumping is a little difficult, but I can get up and down the court... Talking to the doctors, I had an MRI done during our physicals and they say I can’t hurt anything, and that’s a good thing to hear."

As for Yao, the news is even better. He's already declared himself completely recovered from the foot fracture he suffered in February.

"I can't wait to go, for the first preseason game, the first regular-season game," says Yao. "The Olympics was a very good tryout for me to prepare for the Rockets season. Some Chinese fans probably won't be happy, but that's just being honest. It feels great to come out of the injury. I had a good recovery. I feel fresh and ready for next season."

And as coach Rick Adelman alluded to on media day, part of keeping Yao fresh means getting the big man to ease up on his rigorous workout regimen.

"I need to learn something from the last three years, seriously," says Yao. "Maybe I need to be careful with my pregame workout or something, lay down a little bit, not get my body too tired before a game. Let's try some new schedules, put my best shape into the game."

And if he and T-Mac can do that, then they - and everyone else - can fully focus on the fun stuff; you know, like integrating those new guys into the gameplan.

"We’ve got a great group of guys, we really do," says McGrady. "We’ve got guys who are very unselfish and that’s a good thing to have. When you’ve got coachable guys and guys who are willing to sacrifice, it’s quite easy to put it together.

"I think the most important thing is that each one of us has to sacrifice something. We’ve got a lot of talent on this team. I think we all have to sacrifice. There’s going to be some nights, because we have so much talent and guys who can do so much for us, that I’m going to have to sacrifice on the offensive end, because we can have different guys each night able to score and carry the load. But the most important thing is that we get great chemistry going right away and I think, as difficult as our schedule is, we’re a great team… on paper. Now we’ve got to put that together in training camp."

And 1's: It's no secret that the Rockets face a brutal schedule to start the season. It represents a challenge to be sure, but also an opportunity to send a statement to the rest of the league. Says McGrady: "I think if we take care of our business and come out with a little swagger then, yeah, when it comes that time toward the end of the season, we’ll feel like we belong.

Newly re-signed Carl Landry is happy to be back in Houston and says his much-discussed knee issues are not a concern: "This team is definitely a special team if we put all the pieces together. Houston is my first love, the first team I ever played for, and I love the city, the team, the guys in the organization and everything about the Houston Rockets, so I’m happy.

"My knee, I’ve passed several examinations on it and they say the bruise and the things that were happening last year are completely gone. They say that I have the exact same knee now that I had before the injury. That brought a smile to my face and I’m pain free and one hundred percent and just ready to get this thing rolling."

Coach Adelman on rookie big man Joey Dorsey: "Any big guy coming into the NBA, the toughest thing for them is defensively. He may think he’s a good defender, but he hasn’t played in this league yet and he’s got to understand what he’s got to do. But like any other player, he’s got to play to his strengths. He’s very aggressive, he’s athletic, he’s quick – he’s gotta learn how to use those."

2. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

So then, why didnt you just get the MRI to be sure??

Anyway Im glad that Landry is healthy, supposedly.

3. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

he DID have an MRI, they wanted him to have exploratory surgery to futher examin his knee. not alot of players who feel that their knee is at 100% would have 100% pointless surgery that does take little but some recovery.

4. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!! Yip PEEEEEEE! :eek: :D

5. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Someone please tell this to dorsey. I like his confidence and everything, but he is beginning to run his mouth a bit too much for my liking. Oh yeah, remind him that he lost at the NCAA finals and his just a second round draft pick as well.

6. FFz

FFz Member

lol the pick on the website relaly makes t-mac look fat...

7. ronnymac

ronnymac Member

Thats because after not being able to walk for 4 months let alone run, would do that to people. he has put on a few pounds of puppy fat. nothing he cant burn off though.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

It didn't happen to Yao, he was dedicated to staying trim......

DD

9. kwng

kwng Member

Well, it's just exciting to know that the season is starting soon . But then the distraction to work, the worries (injuries, losses, etc.) , the stresses (close games, games against the top teams) from season matches are some of the
    *negative* perspectives when the season starts. BUT then that's life .. it's the ecstasy of winning moments that count (winning the ring) most.

10. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

"I feel pretty good," says McGrady. "I aint ready to play, but as far as getting up and down the court, I can do that. My lateral movement is a little difficult right now and jumping is a little difficult, but I can get up and down the court... Talking to the doctors, I had an MRI done during our physicals and they say I can’t hurt anything, and that’s a good thing to hear."

Yeah that is a great thing to hear also for us :)

11. ronnymac

ronnymac Member

Yao had both his shoulder and knee surgicaly repaird?. also people have different body types.

12. ronnymac

ronnymac Member

As i said before, as long as the knee is all good, he'll be pretty good player.

13. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

That is true, if the knee is healthly McGrady is ready to do. He said it would be ready by the start if the season,

14. KongfuBear

KongfuBear New Member

;) a good begining.

15. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

that's because he ate more rice than t-mac.