1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Trailer] American Hustle

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Jul 31, 2013.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A truly great movie.

Miraculous all the way around...

2. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

keep your politics out of the hangout. You think the majority of the people in this country think the disco era was awesome? What is it about people talking fast and incoherently that is interesting to you? Also who is the 'we' in your comment? who do you claim to be speaking for? I am sure they appreciate it.

#42 tallanvor, Dec 31, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  3. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

For me it was the scene with Irvine, the Sheik, Carmine and Tellegio.
    The tension for that scene was very well done.

I've seen American Hustle and The Wolf of Wall Street and the BIG difference for me in the two films is in the pressure and tension between the hustlers/con men and the feds.

There was little to nothing of it in the Wolf. I think the film did a very good job in the beginning explaining the business they were in. Everything after that seemed like a Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous on coke and quaaludes.

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Liked it, didn't love it. Had some really great scenes, though. Acting was superb.

5. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

The disco era of the late 70's and the 80's were both very similar: Sex, drugs, people dancing most of their cares away. The difference was the amount of greed and violence that was mostly missing in the late 70's as opposed to the 80's.

6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Very good, but not one of my tops for the year

7. red

red Contributing Member

felt the same. but damn jennifer lawrence was excellent in this.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This movie sucks ass.

Predictable.

Rocket River

9. ILoveWhiteGirls

Thanks for sharing. What movies did you like 47 Ronin, lol.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Just saw The Wolf of Wall Street, and while I enjoyed it, I enjoyed American Hustle far more. DiCaprio is brilliant, but over all, I found the acting in Hustle from all the main actors to be superb, and the acting from all the other principal actors in Wolf (aside from DiCaprio's terrific performance) more along the lines of good to very good. That's a big difference between the flicks, at least for me.

11. conquistador#11

amy adams was in the office? now i must watch this show. never have, don't shoot me please!
    she was adorable in junebug.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Have not seen it yet. . . but at least it will have nice visuals
    with its lack of conherent story line

Rocket River

13. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

this movie was alright for me, liked wolfs of wall street a lot better

14. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

This x1000.

[​IMG]

15. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Oh, take a ******* chill pill, I was kidding...well, at least I though I was. The disco era has very little or nothing to do with it. Here's what I tend to like about movies- if they're well-acted, well-written, and well-filmed. The subject matter is not as important- it's how the subject is treated that's important. You think I give a **** about Jake LaMotta's life, or about a taxi driver in NYC, or half the frigging Western films? It's how it's done, plain and simple.

So, applying that to American Hustle, I thought it was well-acted, particularly Christian Bale. He could have turned it into one of those wife-beater, macho characters, but his portrayal of the guy as a hapless schlep who had occasional moments of brilliance was spot-on. Everyone else was great, too.

It was well-written, as well. It has nothing to do with talking fast- but if that is how the characters are drawn up, particularly if they live in the Northeast, that's how they talk. It'd be just as dumb to say, "Well, didn't like Once Upon a Time in The West b/c those cowboys sure talked slow." The writing was great- it wasn't cliched, and it kept you interested.

And it was filmed great. It was a nice balance of faster-paced sequences and slower scenes, like the conversations between characters. Which is a big problem that most movies have nowadays- the average screen time for a shot is down to about 4-7 seconds- it's just way too frenetic and allows no time to contemplate what the **** is going on. You know, Fast and Furious type ****.

So, you are more than welcome to your opinion. But not liking movies based on their era as opposed to their quality? A bit short-sighted IMHO.

1 person likes this.
  16. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Only in a few episodes in season (3?)

Show is awesome though, you should watch it anyway.

17. Garner

Garner Member

When I realized the film was a comedy, I enjoyed it far more

18. Progs

Progs Member

Damn, she is beautiful.

19. conquistador#11

I watched it and was only impressed by a couple of things. American hustle should win an oscar for best costume design, just the perfect dresses to put emphasis on the boobs of amy and jennifer. Also, Christian, damn. You need me to drop 200 pounds for a movie about a machinist, no problem. Get ripped, ok. Gain 80lbs, sure thing.

I didn't like the movie though.

20. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Story is more important than everything you just mentioned. And I dislike the film for its story and characters. Pretty much every cinematic character from the disco era is pathetic and uninteresting. IRL, I can't recall anytime I have run into a hardcore drug user and said 'this person is interesting to me and I would like to follow him/her around for an hour and get a glimpse of his/her life'.

#60 tallanvor, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2014