1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tragic: Chicago Police Shoot Father . . .

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, Aug 14, 2012.

1. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I don't think its entirely unreasonable that he got extremely emotional/pissed off after witnessing her daughter's face skinned off. It might have been an accident, but the article did state that the father came out AFTER the incident was already done, so he might not have been able to tell if it was an accident.

The cousin of the girl was an idiot though and it was probably his fault that the situation was escalated like this.

2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think he was jumping off the bike to try to avoid her. The moral of the story is don't be driving through the hood especially at night.

3. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Getting pissed is normal, and anyone would want to start kicking ass. But the father must be one ignorant SOB to start fighting instead of tending to his little girl.

4. Relentless

Relentless Member

So if the father would have beaten the cop to death what would we be discussing?

5. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

where did it say that was his 'first reaction'?

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Man slaughter. I would hope the guy would get probation since he almost killed his daughter.

7. RedRedemption

Sadly this story is going to spin into two extremes.

Pro-cop:
    Cop was innocently riding his motorcycle down the street running his daily patrol route when a girl and her cousin recklessly jaywalked in front of him. The cop heroically attempted jumped off his bike to avoid hitting the girl but it was too late. Then, ignoring all diplomatic interaction by the cop, the cousin and the father savagely beat the poor cop to near death. The cop attempted to fire off a warning shot, but due to his dizzied nature he shot the father in the groin and killed him.

Anti-cop:
    Reckless cop was speeding in the neighborhood and ran over girl on purpose, as the cop tried to run the heroic father jumped on the cop and attempted to wrestle him to the ground until other authorities arrived. Unbeknownst to him the cop had a gun and fatally shot the father.

Exaggerating, obviously.

8. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

you're probably right, but i think the OP struck the right note. it's just sad all round. i understand the father's rage & the cop's right to defense.

just sad.

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

You don't have to go to that extreme. The article states:

The cousin was arrested, as he should be.

Obviously this is just an article, so might not have the full facts, but I think people can read a little closer.

For example,

Clearly the police report may be wrong. Maybe the officer is a moron and had plenty of time to stop. But that's not what is being presented at the moment.

Or, how about:

Again, perhaps this is an over-exaggeration on the part of Pat Camden, but if not, that's a serious beating.

To those saying that it's perfectly reasonable to fly into a rage and beat another man unconscious... um, no, it's not.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I guess I'll be the one who says that I don't understand him flying into a rage and trying to beat a guy for what happened to his daughter. Accidents happen and they suck and I get mad just like anyone else, but if your reaction to an accident is to try to beat someone to death then you have a problem.

11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Hard to say when you're not in their shoes. Or easy to say I reckon.

12. RedRedemption

From the article it sounds like the father didn't witness the accident, he just saw his girl on the ground, in the aftermath of getting struck by a motorcycle and the cop off to the side staring (in shock?).

In this case the cousin should be the one to restrain the father and pursue a more diplomatic course... but the cousin jumped in and started pummeling.
    The idiot cousin is to blame.

13. justtxyank

It is easy to say you are right. If you reaction to bad things happening that weren't done on purpose is to violently assault someone then you flat out have a problem. Being angry is fine. I would be angry and wouldn't want the guy coming over trying to apologize or anything, but to start violently assaulting him? That's ridiculous behavior. I wonder if this guy has a past history of violence.

14. justtxyank

So you walk out and see your daughter on the ground hurt and another guy on the ground hurt. Instead of trying to figure out what happened you want to beat the guy to death? Again, a problem.

But yes, the cousin is also an idiot.

15. Precision340

Precision340 Member

tragic indeed... the cop had every right to defend himself in this case

16. ballerboy001

ballerboy001 Member

Accident, or not. Most fathers will attempt to kill someone that hurts their daughter. Don't know if it's human nature, but it is what it is. It's easy to say otherwise when you're not IN the situation, but no one's thinking rationally when you come out and see you daughter in this condition.

17. RedRedemption

Its a spur of the moment situation.
    Honestly the emotional trauma of seeing his girl with her face skinned off might be completely unnerving to the average father...
    Could be a coping mechanism for all the pent up rage, confusion, and shock he might have been experiencing at the time.

18. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I would have done the same thing. Nothing upsets or enrages you more than when you see your daughter get hurt

19. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Sad....

But.....

Unless the cop purposely hit the girl or started the altercation with the father I see no reason why the father would start violence.

20. Nook

Nook Member

That is a cop out, you can use that logic to justify virtually anything.