1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trae Young Trades

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SamFisher, Dec 9, 2022.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I tried, really tried to give them some benefit of the doubt but, man LOLadipo was damaged goods then and has done nothing but confirm it since.

Huge fail. I mean striking out on the Brooklyn picks, whatever, bad luck. Oladipo? That's just a bad decision

2. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

The worst worst worst thing was that when we traded for him, they acted like we were rolling the dice on an allstar just coming back off injury. He got injured in 2018-2019. Came back at the end of 2019-2020 for Indiana and played like trash for 19 games. Was trash all summer. Then played 9 games at the start of 2020-2021 and was trash for Indiana. That's more than enough sample size for us to have known he was done. But apparently the Rockets didn't have a scouting staff or something and thought he was just coming back off injury.

3. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Yet all he did was take an under achieving team hovering around .500 mid season and turned them into the best team in the league come playoff time. Listen to anyone of those dudes talk about what he did and you know. It's known and spoke about by many around the league. He completely changed that locker room in a half of a season. What he did away from the team has ZERO to do with it.

As far as the culture of the team, he brought the guys together, held everyone accountable from the last guy on the bench up to Brown and Tatum. Got them to buy into his system. To hustle, defend, move the ball more and to win.

He's the type of coach that guys want to play for. Want to win for. You can hear it when they speak about him. And THAT is huge. He's the type that will attract FA's to want to come play for him.

All about changing the culture.

Definitely not hurting it.

4. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Yet all he did was take an under achieving team hovering around .500 mid season and turned them into the best team in the league come playoff time. Listen to anyone of those dudes talk about what he did and you know. It's known and spoke about by many around the league. He completely changed that locker room in a half of a season. What he did away from the team has ZERO to do with it.

As far as the culture of the team, he brought the guys together, held everyone accountable from the last guy on the bench up to Brown and Tatum. Got them to buy into his system. To hustle, defend, move the ball more and to win.

He's the type of coach that guys want to play for. Want to win for. You can hear it when they speak about him. And THAT is huge. He's the type that will attract FA's to want to come play for him. Again HUGE!

It's all about changing the culture.

Definitely not hurting it.

5. SamFisher

Sure, he did all those things - then was abruptly fired for a gross violation of those standards

6. Ancient Moabite

based on this pic Young shot 30 ft three with one hand, he got game/skill with a sprinkle of luck

Arnel likes this.
  7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

What the what? Your sheet negativity is hilarious. Yeah bro nothing has changed with the Nets at all the start of this season compared to the start of next season. Nada. Zilch.

Not remotely close to being what? Were they not under .500 from the point of the season he stated?? I’m pretty f*ck*ng sure they were.

Actually forgive me they will be a top 5 team next year. You’re right not even remotely close to false statement by that poster. Lol’s

roslolian likes this.
  8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Not even remotely close to being true! They are an amazing team. Under .500 after the trade. They are on the up and up having lost 10 playoff games in a row, and 11 of 12 games. You're an ignorant buffoon for even considering that wonderful team could hit the lottery next season.

9. Saeculum

Saeculum Member

While nothing that's happened in the post-season makes me think Tre is someone I want on my team. That he got hot and pushed the Celtics to game 6 means he will not be in trade talks this Summer.

Lurch and roslolian like this.
  10. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Speaks for itself.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Tre Young is good if you dont want to be a bad team. But he isnt good if you want to be a championship team.

He will have his moments but at the end of the day no team lead by a star pg has won a ring ever with the sole exception of Curry and his plethora of all star teammates.

Arnel and Believe It! like this.
  12. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

The closest was AI and he ain't that.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  13. OremLK

OremLK Member

I don't know if I buy Trae Young as the best player on a contender--he could be if he gets more mature and takes steps forward on decisionmaking and defense, but there are serious doubts at this point.

But you seem to have some kind of weird thing against point guards, and it's kinda strange, to be honest. You're simply not correct that no team led by a point guard has won a championship. First off, it's weird to say that in the first place and put "except for Curry" next to it when his Warriors have been the most successful team since MJ.

Second, the Pistons did it three times in modern NBA history, in 03-04 behind Chauncey Billups, as well as twice in the late 80s behind Isiah Thomas.

Third, loads of teams have either made it to the finals or won a championship with a star point guard as one of their best two or three players. It's not like having a star point guard on your team is any impediment to having a chance to win a title. There is not historical precedent at all to say that's the case.

I don't know whether it's worth it to trade for Trae Young. There are definitely serious questions and concerns about planning to build around him for other reasons (defense, intangibles mainly). But saying "we shouldn't trade for Trae Young because he's a point guard and star point guards can't win" is a pretty bad argument with no historical basis.

14. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Voted overrated by his own peers. Why would we trade for the most overrated

15. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Kirkland's Cab has a lot of potential.

Anyway, I think the Rockets will definitely go after any available all star type players like Trae.

I'm not a huge fan but mainly because he's so tiny. It's not like Harden or even Curry where you can effectively hide him on a forward. He's short, skinny, and weak. He would get abused by the likes of PJ Tucker

SamFisher likes this.
  16. SamFisher

If the Brooklyn nets finished . 400 next season, probably what they project to at this point - do you think the 7-10 pick in the 2024 NBA draft is enough to anchor a deal and land Trae Young or any all star level player?

You don't have to make up stuff about Brooklyn being "amazing ", all they have to be is "vaguely competitive ," which is where they currently are

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Late 80s is not modern history, modern history would begin with Steph Curry as his 3 pt shooting has started "modern history" and positionless basketball.

Secondly Curry is the exception that proves the rule. The main issue with Curry is his team always has so much talent when they win a ring. So yeah if you can guarantee your team has 3+ all stars and 2 of those are goat shooters then your team led by a pg can win a ring. Unless you have that though its almost impossible to win. Pistons with Billups won in 2004 and never came close after. So in the past 23 years you can only show 2 instances of a pg led team being champs? Lol. What do you mean by no historical basis? The history is right there it aint my fault you couldnt see it. Oh yeah lets include the 2 times Thomas won in the 80s so in the past 40 years excluding Curry you got 3 times a pg led team won a ring? You think thats encouraging odds? And you say that with a straight face as well Lol wtf.

The main reason why is because you are paying a pg the max when your opponent is paying a forward or SG the max. One is 6'6+ the other is 6'3 below you get the difference yes or no? That just puts you behind cuz the best players in the league arent pgs, if we rank them now AD, Bron, KD, Giannis, Embiid, Luka all rank higher than Trae, Dame, cp0. Again Curry is the exception but like I said he is flanked by multiple all stars if he has been alone most of his life he wouldnt be seen in that tier.

The second reason why is pgs are the most plentiful resource in the league. Thats why Shaq and Kobe ran with Fisher and Duncan ran with Tony Parker. For every Ja Morant there's a couple of Tyus Jones. Super max contracts cost 50M now you spend that money on a pg your opponent spends it on Luka or Giannis then you are already behind from the starting line.

#177 roslolian, Apr 26, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2023
  18. OremLK

OremLK Member

You can define "modern era" however you want, I'm not going to bother arguing semantics, but most people define it as when the NBA and the ABA merged in 1980 and the 3 point line was added, and that is the sense in which I used the term.

Curry won his first title with Klay Thompson and Draymond Green as his sidekicks. I don't think that's an unusually high level of talent to have alongside your star. Neither of those guys is anywhere near good enough to be the best player on a championship team. Stars winning a title while surrounded by a bunch of roleplayers like Hakeem had in '94 or Nowitzki had in '11 are the exception, not the rule. Even the best player of the 00s, LeBron, has only won titles with other superstars next to him.

It's about talent, not height. Also, the distinction between shooting guard and point guard can be somewhat arbitrary. Dwyane Wade won a title as the best player on a championship team at 6'4" for instance, which is right around the size of a typical NBA point guard.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Did you forget GSW also had Bogut and Iggy who were perennial all stars in the East? Iggy was even Philly's franchise player initially. That team had like 4 all stars unofficially. They were also stacked AF had high level role players like Harrison Barnes, that pg who was a former lotto pick etc They broke the regular season record for a reason they arent a 1 star team lol. Plus Curry is the goat shooter if you were ranking pgs he'd be no 1, he is more than your normal superstar pg he is the best shooter in history. Dude is also 6'5 he is talk enough to be a SG he is prob taller than Jordan or Jalen Green .

Like I said if we can create a team like that then Im ok with a pg as the best player. But we practically cant right? You think Luka gonna pull a KD to Houston or what?

As for Lebron only winning when he has all stars yeah thats cuz he faced other superstar laden teams like GSW or Celtics. But by himself he already brought his team to the Finals which obviously no pg can do.

I agree with you its about talent not height. But height is also part of talent at 6'8 Lebron can do things 6'1 Cp3 can never do. Thats why Bron is 2nd Goat while Cp0 is the choke god.

We oay the max for a pg and we are just gonna be cannon fodder for the eventual champs. Just ask all the superstar pgs not name Curry.

#179 roslolian, Apr 26, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2023
  20. OremLK

OremLK Member

All right, some stuff to unpack:

1. Bogut and Iggy. First, you realize Bogut was averaging about 6 points per game and a little over 20 minutes per game when the Warriors won their first titles, right? Still a good rebounder and defender, but not exactly a superstar. Second, Iggy was also beyond his prime as a player and was averaging under 8 points per game and under 30 minutes per game. At one point they were all-stars, yes, but they were past that point when the Warriors won their titles, and had declined to the level of roleplayers due to age/injuries.

2. Again, I'm not necessarily saying we should trade for Trae Young. I don't really expect him to be the best player on a championship team. At best maybe he could be like #1B along with another guy (maybe if Green or Sengun take a BIG step forward, for example). It would depend on the price. I just don't think the team should go into building a contender with the false idea in their heads that a point guard can't win a title, when that's clearly not the case.

3. I just don't agree with your basic premise here. I think height is just one component of overall talent level and can be overcome by other things, including other physical tools like athleticism and strength, or skills like shooting or playmaking. You yourself admit this by acknowledging that Steph Curry is kinda special. I also don't agree that a guy like CP3 "wasn't good enough" to win a title, which again, is something you already acknowledged! It's a team sport. CP3 was very much good enough to win a title, in my view, he was just never on the right team with the right coach to get it done. Bad luck. Maybe this will be the year, though, Phoenix looks like they have a shot!