1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trae Young Trades

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SamFisher, Dec 9, 2022.

1. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

You're forgetting the Isaiah Thomas led Pistons and the Magic Johnson led Lakers. But yeah. It is rare.

2. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

Our guys are so young, we don’t even know what we have.

roslolian and linvetb6 like this.
  3. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

Also, w/ the young guys and their tendency to iso late in the shot clock, do we really want someone teaching them that pulling up right inside the logo is a good shot selection?

4. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Here's the weird stat of the day:

Trae Young took the most (112) deep threes ( over 30 ft) of anyone in the league. Next closest was Lillard's 80.

The amazing thing is that he hit 34.8% on deep threes.

The unbelievable thing is that he only hit 33.0% on his 348 3's from inside 30 ft.

BTW, not lobbying for acquiring Young for all the reasons already mentioned and the fact that he's generally disliked by his teammates and former coach. Not for $40M/year.

SamFisher and Easy like this.
  5. roslolian

roslolian Member

Magic isnt really a pg he is more a forward if he played in nba today similar to Lebron.

That just leaves Thomas in the 80s, Billups in 2000s and nobody today (again excluding Curry) in over 40 yrs.

#185 roslolian, Apr 26, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2023
  6. roslolian

roslolian Member

1. It isnt always about the pts. The reason Bogut only scored six pts is because he only took 6 shots. They didnt need him to score they needed him to defend and both him, Draymond, Iggy and Klay made GSW defense impenetrable. Bogut is only 28 and Iggy only 30 when they got traded to GSW how is 30 yrs old past their prime? GSW team is similar to Lakers now yeah there's only 2 all stars officially but they are deep af. Beverly and Austin reeves can both be seen as role players but clearly there's a wide ass gap between the two. Similarly there's a wide gap between Bogut and Iggy and typical role players. Yeah health is a fsctor but the thing is both these guys were healthy once they got to GSW so they basically got all star level role players. Who guarded Bron? It was Iggy lol I mean your role player is guarding the goat 1on1 basically nullifying a star nornal role players dont do that.

2. Having the pg be the 1B means you are agreeing with me, the pg cant be the best player of the team. In the scenario we trade for Trae Young he wont be 1B he will be the franchise player. The cap is only 140M, max contract reach 40-50M. So you jave 1A and 1B taking out 100M of your cap what is left? 40M for 13 guys? Thats why teams cant make dynasties except for GSW. And GSW became a dynasty cuz Steph was underpaid, there were concerne on his knees so he only got a 15M deal.

3. Cp0 is averaging 29% from 3 and 40% from the field. If Suns win a ring it will be inspite of him not due to him. And again that's a Steph Curry scenario where the team has so much talent they offset having star pg on their team making so much money. If you pay 50M to a 6'3 or shorter player Rockets are done. Ja is prob the no 1 pg in peoples mind today and guess what his team down 1-3 in the first round.

Choke god is just not good enough to get it done. He has lost the most 2-0 leads in the playoffs and thats cuz he is too short. Thats also true today think of best players people think of forwards and big men Giannis, Embiid, Jokic, Luka etc guys like Trae on that 2nd tier.

#186 roslolian, Apr 26, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2023
  7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Is Trae a player that just needs the right coach?

Rocket River

8. Williamson

Magic was one of the greatest point guards of all-time. He would definitely still play point guard.

pmac, Ancient Moabite and OremLK like this.
  9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Good question. there’s a lot to like and a lot not to like. He’s just a slightly above average 3 pt shooter and his assist/TO ratio is not good. He’s not a very efficient player and he’s a bad defender. But he’s only 24 so he is worth betting on for improvement. he’s not a point guard though; I don’t see how he solves our problems. We’ve already got shooting guards.

OremLK likes this.
  10. OremLK

OremLK Member

I mean he led the league in assists this season. I don't know what else you need to do to get to be called a point guard. My biggest concern with him is his lack of defense paired with non-elite efficiency. Maybe he can be coached to take better shots and try harder on defense (even though he'll never be a great defender due to his size). He definitely seems like a bit of a project as far as star players go, not a plug-and-play guy. But then, I think he actually does help you on two levels on offense (scoring and playmaking) whereas a guy like Jaylen Brown only brings scoring on that side of the ball.

Aruba77 likes this.
  11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

the turnovers though. I’ll say “combo guard”

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I'd happily roll the dice with him if the Rockets strike out on Wemby or Scoot, because at least it would be interesting.

I mean Portland didn't win a title with Dame (Lillard or Stoudamire) but the 50 win seasons/teams are not nothing. Rings are overrated.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  13. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Cant imagine they would tray Murray but i would pay quite a bit.

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

don’t forget kenny led a bunch of scrubs and a shakey center to 2 championships

BamBam likes this.
  15. roslolian

roslolian Member

Nah he lacks 3 pt shooting to be an effective pg in today's game.

Lebron is also one of the greatest pgs of all time and pretty close in size and ability to Magic and he didnt play pg for most of his career. I dunno ehats your basis for saying Magic would still play pg when the modern day Magic doesnt play pg.

SamFisher likes this.
  16. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

17. Williamson

I don't think he'd lack the outside shooting if he was raised in this era. I think lots of guys from that era would have been better three point shooters if it were as emphasized as it is now.

But my general basis is that he's a **** ton better at playing point guard than Josh Giddey and Josh Giddey is a point guard. There are also guys like Cade Cunningham and two more point guards arriving in this draft that are 6'7. The point guard position is getting bigger. So, if anything, Magic is less of an anomaly in this era than he was in his own. I just can't think of a single reason to play him anywhere else. Especially since wings are typically your better defenders these days and Magic was a worse defender than he was an outside shooter.

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

Your second doesnt mean anything since Lebron is a better pg than Giddey and he never played pg. Luka is also a better pg than Giddey and a bad defender but he plays sf.

Those big guys play pg only when no other pg is available look at Scottie Barnes. Dude is also a pg but he plays pf cuz Raptors have FVV. Cade when he comes back could def end up playing SF if Killian Hayes is retained and continues to play well.

In today's era there so many good pgs its the most common position. Lakers for example have AR, Schroder and Russ. So if Magic's team really had no other guard he'd play pg but chances are he'll be Pf or sf in today's nba cuz good pgs are more common than good forwards.

19. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

As an Astros fan, I disagree.

20. Ancient Moabite

Trade fits the mold of the Combo guard cliche, but actually gets high assists per game like a said PG

Trae is basically the east coast version of Curry minus the accolades

I wouldn't entertain getting him unless he request trade and had Rockets on list then I may see what it would take but not get into a all-out High price bidding war for him

He seems to have ice water in his veins which is an amazing trait to have for postseason

Aruba77 likes this.