1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trae Young is a better player than Luka Doncic

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by H.D., Jun 19, 2021.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

2. TimDuncanDonaut

Trae better than Ben Simmons?

3. dmoneybangbang

No….

But their balls are about the same size. You could tell Trae never thought they were losing that game 7 in Philly.

HTXSportsAddict and Patience like this.
  4. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Lol @ "I watched a YouTube video".

Listen bruh, I hate the Mavepricks as much as anyone, but Luka is the best young player the NBA has seen in quite some time. Trae is great, but he's not even close.

Keep in mind that the team Luka nearly single-handedly pushed to the brink of elimination is now in the WCF and looking like they have an outside shot at a title even without their best player on the floor.

5. Lovemachine2000

You need to watch more than one Hawks game. Huerter is a marginal rotation player, lmao at "light max contract". Bogdan Bogdanovic is a far more important player. He didn't shoot well in the last few games but needs to step up against the Bucks. Losing De'Andre Hunter was a big blow for the Hawks, as he was a solid contributor on both ends.

Hells yeah.

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I doesn't matter if you are personally "better" than another player it matters if that player can get others around him to play at a high level as well and do those players actually like playing with them.

Dallas is not significantly worse than Atlanta talent wise that's just making excuses for Luca.

Huerter is not better than TMjr.

Patience and icewill36 like this.
  7. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I'd still choose Luka. The numbers say he is better (through efficiency), the eye test says his better (he is crafty, as well as his ability to physically punish defenders). The only real indictment against Luka is his high usage (what people like to call ball hog), defense, and his weight. But, Trae has similar problems as well, especially on defense and height disadvantages, though he has sizeable at free throws. Again, Luka is on a career trajectory comparable to Harden, Big O, or Bird, if he continues at his current pace.

HTXSportsAddict likes this.
  8. H.D.

H.D. Member

Trae shimmies and nuts in the eyes of the MAGA-ts who suck off Luka.

The 20' floater (and-one) was one of the most ridiculous clutch shots ever.

#48 H.D., Jun 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    houston19519 likes this.
  9. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I think Trae Young has a more versatile play style. He seems to score in a variety of ways and is fine with his teammates setting him up every now and then. Luka needs the ball in his hands all game like Harden or he doesn't do anything.

Luka is the better overall talent and has the better size. I think Trae Young is easier to build a team around.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. H.D.

H.D. Member

11. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Why are you comparing Huerter to Hardaway? Why not Bogdanovic to Hardaway? And Huerter to Finney-Smith? And Collins to Porzingis? And Capela to Kleber/Marjanovic?

Atlanta has the advantage in all of those matchups, and they still have Gallinari and Lou Williams.

12. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I'd love to see how your mental gymnastics have somehow equated Luka fans to Trump fans.

Man Clutchfans really has fallen off a steep cliff in recent times.

These new alt-accounts are atrocious.

@Clutch I really think the site needs to go back to no new accounts for a while.

jiggyfly likes this.
  13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I don't think anyone here dismisses the notion that Trae is a star and is a very good (great right now) player. HIs performances in the postseason don't really validate any assertion that he's better than Luka--it just validates his ascension to the top tiers of the NBA hierarchy.

If did a poll among players, coaches, GMs or owners on who they would rather start and build their team around the answer is Luka. You give him the same team that Trae has and I'm 99.9% sure he would have his team in the conference finals too. He basically took the Clippers to a game 7 by himself in the 1st Round.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  14. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

At this point, one could easily rank him above Doncic even if Trae isn't exactly the "better" player. He's amazing.

The sports shows are debating whether or not he's a superstar... gotta say not yet, at least not in my definition. For me, superstars are MVP level players that consistently make and win Finals. That makes the NBA's current superstar list pretty short with Kawhi, LeBron, and Durant. Curry was on the list until these past two seasons knocked him off the list.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He doesn't even have to be better, he just have to give the team what it needs.

Doncic is overdoing things clearly, still a bad FT shooter in the clutch.

H.D. and JumpMan like this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You say this in hindsight but 99% would go with the bigger player when both were equally skilled going into the draft.

Smaller players also do not pan out in masses.

Atlanta rolled the dice and it worked.

houston19519 and JumpMan like this.
  17. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I'm not quite following your response but hindsight has nothing to do with it because even at that time Luka was rated as the better prospect/player over Trae.

daywalker02 likes this.
  18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I think in a vacuum there's no debate Luka is a better player, just from size, efficiency alone.

However, it's really tough to say Luka has a way worse team. Porzingus is suppose to be better than anyone individually on the Hawks, however his ineffectiveness especially on offense could be attributed to his lack of touches, and therefore lack of interest. If the clash between Doncic and Porzingus is true, than Luka deserves some of the blame for not being able to integrate Porzingus into the offense.

As great as Luka was in the playoffs, he did fall off like Crazy in the second half efficiency wise, which makes sense given how much usage he has with the ball. Maybe he needs to learn how to defer to other players.

Trae has shown he can elevate everyone else's game, or let other team mates go out and dominate.

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Trae Young reminds me of a young Steph Curry.

H.D. likes this.
  20. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Yes.